+1

max rpm's safely with retainers and springs

So I have read lots of things..

People revving to 9300 without block guards etc,

Looking at modding rxp and friends rxt's which are used in offshore use so they will be coming unhooked etc..

Looking forward to feedback from rough water riders rather than flat water queens

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by retro_racer View Post

Looking at modding rxp and friends rxt's which are used in offshore use so they will be coming unhooked etc..

Looking forward to feedback from rough water riders rather than flat water queens

That statement was out of line!LOL ( flat water queens ) We here in Florida ride in nasty chops!!

+1
    We can't ride in smooth water here, I was also "taking the piss" slam into the limiter etc is what I am talking about. This forum is world wide, we call the smooth water riders here flat water queens!

Quote Originally Posted by tocullo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by retro_racer View Post

That statement was out of line!LOL ( flat water queens ) We here in Florida ride in nasty chops!!

+1
    Keep it under 8650 with upgraded retainers and springs...

5. +1 by:

+1
    Guys have been using upgraded spring kits(Riva,R&D and Supertech) and lightend Valves(Supertech,RIVA/Ferrea)
    to spin those higher RPMS....Also a block guard is a good thing to have installed at that time with a good head gasket and head studs...

+1
    Thanks sno. Slasher,
    Don't want to pull head off if can be avoided. Agreed, my rxt has lots of goodies in it. But these are just "simple mods" that need to be reliable without going "boom!"

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Guys have been using upgraded spring kits(Riva,R&D and Supertech) and lightend Valves(Supertech,RIVA/Ferrea)
    to spin those higher RPMS....Also a block guard is a good thing to have installed at that time with a good head gasket and head studs...

+1
    If it was a ski for you to ride retro I would have said don't bother, because we all know you don't go past 60% throttle .

For me it's all about what consequence your happy to accept and what life expectancy. Run 9k+ with some SDC retainers but you run a risk, more so with rough water riding, and we all know you WA boys like it rough on and off the water .

What ECU/ Tune you looking at running? Running in chop, coming unhooked is so much harder on these engines. Prop speed, rpm limiter (hard & soft) are all things to consider. RPM limiting and overshooting is going to change with different ecu's. Personally I would be worried about the flywheel bolts too with higher rpm and coming unhooked a lot in rough water.
    My 100% stock 0hr (still on run in limiter) 12PX was seeing 8650 coming unhooked! With the Athena running 8300 prop speed was seeing 9300 coming unhooked. All with OEM valve train, but there's a big difference between soft limiter, hard limiter and mechanical inertia. These numbers could not be seen on the live dash, only max rpm recall and log files. Even in the log you had to zoom right in to see the 9300.

+1
    Bahahha.. There is truth in that sayers, but that was 63% not 60%. And on that nut job of a ski, I was doing well..
    Yes sayers, that's exactly what I wanted to know, hence my comment on flat water queens.. Don't want the consequences of trying to rev to 9k rpm only to see spikes of 11k and shit breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayers View Post
    If it was a ski for you to ride retro I would have said don't bother, because we all know you don't go past 60% throttle .

For me it's all about what consequence your happy to accept and what life expectancy. Run 9k+ with some SDC retainers but you run a risk, more so with rough water riding, and we all know you WA boys like it rough on and off the water .

What ECU/ Tune you looking at running? Running in chop, coming unhooked is so much harder on these engines. Prop speed, rpm limiter (hard & soft) are all things to consider. RPM limiting and overshooting is going to change with different ecu's. Personally I would be worried about the flywheel bolts too with higher rpm and coming unhooked a lot in rough water.
    My 100% stock 0hr (still on run in limiter) 12PX was seeing 8650 coming unhooked! With the Athena running 8300 prop speed was seeing 9300 coming unhooked. All with OEM valve train, but there's a big difference between soft limiter, hard limiter and mechanical inertia. These numbers could not be seen on the live dash, only max rpm recall and log files. Even in the log you had to zoom right in to see the 9300.

Thread Information