Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pros and cons of the 90 hp Spark vs 110 hp '97 SPX (X4 hull).

Hello Green Hulk community. First time poster here..
    I have kept my '97 SPX because of the playfulness of the machine. The Spark has me intrigued with it's improved fuel economy and quieter exhaust.
    Looking for honest first hand opinions from anyone who has had experience with the X4 hull and has also had seat time on a Spark.
    How much better is the fuel economy?
    Regarding the handling. On my SPX I love being able to trim her up and fly it over even small waves or trim down and feel like your on rails. Also love to being able tailstand it like a standup and slide her sideways at will. Not sure you can do all those things AS EASILY on a Spark.
    So far my pros and cons (without actually riding the Spark yet) would be:

Spark pros:
    quieter to operate
    less fuel used (would like real world numbers)
    no more rebuilding carbs

SPX pros:
    adjustable trim

Thanks for the input!

+1
    Welcome aboard the Hulk!!!

+1
    Welcome bud.

GET A SPARK!!! I have 1000+ hours on a spark, u can do everything u love to do on the spx and tons more. Way more bottom, weighs nothing, clean and quiet, super easy to work on (prolly never have to), and IT'S NEW.

Rather than you asking us why you should get a spark, lemme ask you why you shouldn't?

+1
    Welcome Mid.

you really need to ride one yourself.

I cant wait to ride one myself... but the specs say the Spark is 10% longer, 11% wider, 7% lighter with 10% less power.
    -the numbers alone say it should compare well to a 95 SPX (720cc)
    Last edited by steach; 01-25-2014 at 03:51 PM.

I am in a similar situation as you are Midwestrider. I own an all original 95 Seadoo XP. The motor, starter, carbs, etc are all original. It still runs like the day it was new. This has always been a fresh water run machine. I have recently moved to the Bay and I needed a reliable salt water machine for long rides in the salt. While the spark is not yet proven, I decidedto purchased a spark. No seat time yet, but I am really excited to get it out. I have not been able to ride it because it is 7 deg F outside right now and the bay looks like the Bering sea!!!

I have been tinkering with it a lot and I think this machine is going to be a nice improvement over the old X4 machines. It is easier to work on, the performance aftermarket and hp potential is much greater then the old 110hp machines and its fuel injection makes it reliable.

I cant wait to run the Xp and Spark heads up against each other. I can't believe someone in the warmer weather hasn't had the opportunity to do so yet...

I'm really excited for this machine and the future competition it will bring to the small (Under 500lbs) watercraft market.

Quote Originally Posted by steach View Post
    Welcome Mid.

I cant wait to ride one myself... but the specs say the Spark is 10% longer, 11% wider, 10% heavier with 10% less power.
    10% heavier? 96 xp was 434 lbs and the 2 up spark is 405. It also has WAY more bottom end than an XP.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire4Money View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steach View Post
    Welcome Mid.

I cant wait to ride one myself... but the specs say the Spark is 10% longer, 11% wider, 10% heavier with 10% less power.
    10% heavier? 96 xp was 434 lbs and the 2 up spark is 405. It also has WAY more bottom end than an XP.
    Good catch. It's 7% lighter.

+1
    Both skis handle very similar but the spark has way more bottom end ...

I lined the 90 spark against at 951 xpl and the xpl just got the spark after 80kph

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by drlguy2 View Post
    I am in a similar situation as you are Midwestrider. I own an all original 95 Seadoo XP. The motor, starter, carbs, etc are all original. It still runs like the day it was new. This has always been a fresh water run machine. I have recently moved to the Bay and I needed a reliable salt water machine for long rides in the salt. While the spark is not yet proven, I decidedto purchased a spark. No seat time yet, but I am really excited to get it out. I have not been able to ride it because it is 7 deg F outside right now and the bay looks like the Bering sea!!!

I have been tinkering with it a lot and I think this machine is going to be a nice improvement over the old X4 machines. It is easier to work on, the performance aftermarket and hp potential is much greater then the old 110hp machines and its fuel injection makes it reliable.

I cant wait to run the Xp and Spark heads up against each other. I can't believe someone in the warmer weather hasn't had the opportunity to do so yet...

I'm really excited for this machine and the future competition it will bring to the small (Under 500lbs) watercraft market.
    So instead of running your 20 year old Sea-Doo in the ocean you're going to run a brand new spark in the ocean?

Got to love the logic of some members.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dialga View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drlguy2 View Post

So instead of running your 20 year old Sea-Doo in the ocean you're going to run a brand new spark in the ocean?

Got to love the logic of some members.
    Difference is the salt water is only running through the exhaust manifold and waterbox on the Spark, Not the entire engine like the X4 XP/SPX. (Still need to flush!)
    The Spark looks awesome , My only wish for it would be 57-58 Like a Stock 800cc XP/SPX But I will still enjoy it greatly!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information