Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

350 + HP 85MPH 2005 RXP Problems.

Hey guys, a friend of a friend has an absolute animal of a ski for sale hes tipped over 20k into it ( yes i've seen the receipts) and now its pushing upward of 350hp and 85mph. I have not rode it but i have witnessed it destroy a 300x fzr and Rxtx 260 with a riva stage 2 kit giving them a 100 yard head start.

He wants 6500 for it, great right? sounds to good to be true they said? well it is. Here is the catch it has a couple of problems, one being a discharging issue, i'm not really worried about but any advice on it would be much appreciated. The main problem is the [email protected]$%ER has blown it's head gasket, due to the fact it wasn't tuned correctly and the motor kept jumping up to 9000-9250rpm and dropping back down, it has a 8800 RPM ECU in it but it needs a proper tune downloaded from V-TEC maybe 8650? I might even do away with it and put an autronics or Motec in it? what do you think?

Now to the head gasket issue, i think it blew to the extreme rpm, and once it did go he noticed straight away and put it the ski on ice so no further damage could be done to it, i'm quite mechanically minded and im going to have a go at fixing it myself, so for all you enthusiasts that have down a head gasket on the 4-tec engines any insight on tools, containers, what to look for? what not to worry about? bolts, parts every single thing there is to do with head gasket replacements please voice your opinions and once i think i have a grounds to pursue fixing this crippled lion i will begin, oh also throw in any other problems that could have surfaced due to the head gasket, but as soon as he did it he killed the engine and got towed back in.

I can post some picks of the internals aswell if anyone wants to see them.

Post Away.

+1
    Well,Ill Give you my take on it and im sure the professionals will step in and correct anything i may have mis-informed you on...As far as parts,Of course a new head gasket,I would install a block guard if one has not yet been,IF light weight valves have not been installed that would be a must ,at least for me...Have the head decked and check the block for warpage/flatness,Change out the head bolts to ARP studs as the OEM head bolts are stretch bolts and will have to be replaced anyway...Upgrade the rockershaft oiling system to either an 06+ or install the rotax racing oil jet...As far as tools,A good set of metric sockets/wrenches,a good torque wrench,Cam and crank locking tools...Its not a hard process,just time consuming and attention to detailed job..get a manual it will save you tons of headaches as it shows you the specs and instrutions on how to do this job.....Like i said,others will post in and clearify anything i have missed and forgotten...

3. +1 by:

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Well,Ill Give you my take on it and im sure the professionals will step in and correct anything i may have mis-informed you on...As far as parts,Of course a new head gasket,I would install a block guard if one has not yet been,IF light weight valves have not been installed that would be a must ,at least for me...Have the head decked and check the block for warpage/flatness,Change out the head bolts to ARP studs as the OEM head bolts are stretch bolts and will have to be replaced anyway...Upgrade the rockershaft oiling system to either an 06+ or install the rotax racing oil jet...As far as tools,A good set of metric sockets/wrenches,a good torque wrench,Cam and crank locking tools...Its not a hard process,just time consuming and attention to detailed job..get a manual it will save you tons of headaches as it shows you the specs and instrutions on how to do this job.....Like i said,others will post in and clearify anything i have missed and forgotten...
    Sorry it's a 06 not an 05, typo. It has light weight valves i know that, i'll defanitly get the head check and block checked for even the slightest irregularity. Yep i knew the studs had to be replaced, everyone says ARP is the way to go so i'll give them a shot. Thanks Snoman

+1
    You need to list the upgrades for us to give you info on what needs to be done.

+1
    Welcome aboard the Hulk!!!

Alright, off the top of the head it has.
    Modified Decked Block.
    Riva Head Studs
    Ferrera Valves
    101 Pro X Pistons
    Carrilo Rods
    Super Tech Valve Springs
    Fizzle Intercooler
    Custom Block Off
    12.5 pound X Charger
    thats all i can gather now, is that enough?

here are some photos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rxp 1.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	321928   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rxp 2.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	321929   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rxp 3.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	321930  

+1
    At that many RPMs , if it ran lean from bouncing off the limiter, it probably toasted the pistons, and head gasket. (being 101mm already), would need new sleeves installed. I would recommend run open loop cooling, with that setup to help cool better @ 9K.

A compression test will help find out some of the extent of the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    At that many RPMs , if it ran lean from bouncing off the limiter, it probably toasted the pistons, and head gasket. (being 101mm already), would need new sleeves installed. I would recommend run open loop cooling, with that setup to help cool better @ 9K.

Hey thanks, yeah thats what i figured. its just to high rpm to only have blown a head gasket, ill pull it apart and the rings will be melted to the pistons haha, at least it didn't seize, i will be dialing back the rpm's for sure, what do you think, 8650?. I have not thought about the open loop aspect? could you just run a lower thermostat instead? where can i get really high heat, high pressure and high rpm applicable head gaskets. i want the strongest and most reliable possible, im in melbourne, australia.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by david.andrivon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post

Hey thanks, yeah thats what i figured. its just to high rpm to only have blown a head gasket, ill pull it apart and the rings will be melted to the pistons haha, at least it didn't seize, i will be dialing back the rpm's for sure, what do you think, 8650?. I have not thought about the open loop aspect? could you just run a lower thermostat instead? where can i get really high heat, high pressure and high rpm applicable head gaskets. i want the strongest and most reliable possible, im in melbourne, australia.
    The Riva open loop cooling kit comes with a 160* thermostat .
    If u keep closed loop @ lower RPMs U can just get the 160 thermostat kit for it.

IF your pistons are toast, u would need a new block, OR sleeves to fix it. I just went .040 over on mine, and that is as large as u can take them, without replacing block, or sleeves. Hopefully u wont have that bad of a problem.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information