1999 X45 Polaris back firing

hey I have a polaris X45
    '99 model
    1200cc motor
    its been running fine since I bought it.
    took it out yesterday as I went over a wave it switched off on me it wont start and backfires through the exhaust.
    ive had 2 mechanics look at it and they don't really want to touch it as its hard to get parts.
    one mechanic came out to the river and said its the stator.

there is spark that comes and goes.

I have found a stator for $500.

what do you guys think could it be it?

all so I need a oil sensor if anyone can help me out.
    and accelerator cable the one that goes on the fly wall casing cover (the small one)
    Last edited by K447; 01-28-2014 at 02:10 PM.

+1
    Make sure you have a very good battery in it.

its about 3 months old its never done this befor I pull the case off now waiting for mechanic to come out and pull
    the fly wheel off I don't have pulley remover to get it off

Banned User
    +1
    Sbt has stators for less than 200 bucks I think. Has the stator been tested? I have never heard of a bad stator causing backfiring. Could be a sheared flywheel key or cdi. Is it backfiring through the exhaust or intake?

Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    HOw hard was the hit when you went over the wave (when the problem started as you say)? I wonder if the jolt from the landing might have knocked the stator loose and it slipped a bit out of timing? When the guy pulls the flywheel have him check right away how tightly the stator is screwed into place, if it might be movable by hand.

Just a swinging wild-ass guess.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    stator is mounted in a fixed position,my money's on the cdi.disconnect the ground on the battery.leave it off 5 minutes then reconnect,see if it will start then.have some heavy gloves ready to pull the plug wires off if you can't get it to shut off.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by my polaris View Post
    ... Polaris X45
    '99 model
    1200cc motor.

I have found a stator for $500.

what do you guys think could it be it?

all so I need a oil sensor if anyone can help me out.
    and accelerator cable the one that goes on the fly wall casing cover (the small one)
    The X45 (along with the 1999 carb'ed Genesis) were the very first model year for the Gen III version of the CDI ignition system.

Since the trouble appeared to coincide with a heavy wave impact, be sure to carefully inspect everything inside the electrical box. And the wiring to/from the electrical box. Look for any signs of damaged or frayed wires, loose crimp connections, corrosion, etc.

Look at the CDI module casing, top and bottom. Look for cracks or signs of heat damage.

When you get the flywheel off, check the position and condition of the small inner timing ring. It is held in place with two small bolts and do NOT need to be loosened in order to remove the flywheel.

Just loosen the really big nut and apply the flywheel puller. Some of these flywheels come off without trouble and some require huge extraction force and perhaps some carefully applied torch heat to get it to release. Loosen the flywheel nut a few turns but leave it there so the flywheel doesn't launch itself when it releases.

Also inspect the flywheel main magnets and the stator itself.

Note: It is possible to check the static timing of the Hall Effect sensors with the flywheel still installed. See my signature links for how to Test the Hall Effect sensors on the red domestic engines.

Regarding the small 'accelerator cable' I suspect you are referring to the oil pump cable, which links the oil pump arm to the carburetor throttle shaft.

Oil sensor, that would be the oil level sensor for the oil tank, correct?
    Last edited by K447; 01-29-2014 at 08:54 AM.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    might try the jumper wire trick as well.if the cdi thinks its already running,and then you hit the start button you'll lose spark while its turning over,then when you release the start button the cdi comes back on and and tries to spark but the motor is winding down and bang,backfire.unhooking the battery long enough will power down the cdi and put it back in time for one go round until you shut if off again,if it'll shut off

+1
    Last edited by BlueFishCrisis; 01-29-2014 at 09:37 AM.

Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    stator is mounted in a fixed position,my money's on the cdi.disconnect the ground on the battery.leave it off 5 minutes then reconnect,see if it will start then.have some heavy gloves ready to pull the plug wires off if you can't get it to shut off.
    Been a while since my Polaris days - you guys got him taken care of, I should have stayed out

Thread Information