Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Post ride maintenance

Hi everyone, I have recently purchased a spark 3up and as it is my first ski im a little unsure on the best way to maintain it. Its always ridden in salt water, and after every ride I flush and wash down the ski, but the manual mentions rinsing the bilge area with fresh water. I am concerned about hosing in the engine bay as there is very little access to dry afterwards. I would also be curious to know what others spray for anti corrosion in the engine compartment

Any comments would be helpful,
    Thanks!

+1
    I check the engine compartment after each ride and wash down with hose on fine spray FIRST put a rage in air inlet just near access cover not to get any water down the air in take.

Give a good hose with bung out then take out rag then I do the flush this will heat up the inside a bit helps to try out it will never be totally dry store with the nose up as high as possible to drain out

+1
    Okay excellent thanks for the quick reply mate I will make sure to do that next time. Do you spray anything in the enginge compartment eg non flammable contact spray? Or just leave as is?

+1
    Ok. Yes. I spray

now start the debate

what to use every one has a opinion

just get something kind to rubber

+1
    Ah okay yeah fair enough I can understand the debate. I might just have to try a few different types and see how I go. Thanks!

+1
    brp engine lube works well... although can get a little expensive!! RP7 Works best as a substitute.

Costs only $6 and can be found at ur local coles or Safeways! Great to stop rust and corrosion also keeps the salt away in the engine bay!!!

+1
    I always Put a attachment on the battery so I could just leave the seat off ( Open the vents)
    and plug in a battery maintainer for 3-4 hours before I Ski. I always took the battery out for the winter and kept it on a maintainer.
    My question IS? Does the battery have the plastic vent tube that usually vents to the side or back of the Ski? Or is it Sealed?
    Manual says Don,t charge in boat ?

+1
    Always store it with the hull open as possible to let moisture out.

+1
    the battery has a little plastic tube that comes down beside it just lower than the bottom of battery

I know the manual says charge out the boat I guess you get sparks when connecting the leads then bang But I find you will always get a spark or two putting the leads back on as well.

I guess the main thing is some times battery's can explode if over charged or dry don't know why and never see one do that.
    I do work in the IT field and do see a lot of battery come out of UPS split and bulging sides so your choice .

Mine goes out every week no need to charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I always Put a attachment on the battery so I could just leave the seat off ( Open the vents)
    and plug in a battery maintainer for 3-4 hours before I Ski. I always took the battery out for the winter and kept it on a maintainer.
    My question IS? Does the battery have the plastic vent tube that usually vents to the side or back of the Ski? Or is it Sealed?
    Manual says Don,t charge in boat ?

There are a few sparks at the westin here, that havnt had their hatches open, flushed, nor engines rinsed since they got them a few months ago with daily use. Tough little buggers.

I know a guy with an 04 or 05 fx thats never been rinsed, flushed, and stored
    in the water since he bought it...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information