Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    You will need a standalone ecu, reflashes on a 15f are supercharger only, I have one for the vortech g trim if you went that route. What are your goals and whats your budget?

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    Paging Sean (smokysevin)! I would love to have a boosted engine in my 15F.
    I can get the stuff together for a vortech build but its not cheap. At a minimum you need pistons, charger, brackets, pump, fuel pump, regulator, injectors, cams, and the pulleys. The actual parts for the turbo are probably cheaper due to not needing brackets but you lose the cost savings with the ecu.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    You will need a standalone ecu, reflashes on a 15f are supercharger only, I have one for the vortech g trim if you went that route. What are your goals and whats your budget?

Sean
    Hi Sean!
    Thanks for the advice! Why can't I use a reflashed supercharged 15F ECU for my turbo ? Basicaly it is just about adding more air.. I know response time are not the same, but I am not looking for the fastest ski in the world..

My goal is to build a fast recreational ski, and the reason why I chose a turbo is because I ride most of the time offshore, and it will be more reliable (less rotative parts).
    I already have the turbo and pipes, so I am not going to change for a supercharger
    The only thing I didn't took into account in my budget is the ECU. For the rest, everything is OK. I can get the pistons, valves, springs, intercooler, etc.. for about 4000$ (including turbo and pipes).

Which ECU should I choose if I can't reflash ?

Regarding the engine, the boost will not exceed 14.5 PSI. Which compression ratio do you think I should go for ?
    The less expenssive choice I can make is to go for 300x stock pistons (less than 400$ for 4 complete pistons, with 8.4:1 compression ratio). But I think CP/R&D forged pistons will be better... (8.6:1 or 9.5:1 ?)

thanks!

+1
    You can use the je 9.5 or 8.6 pistons with a thicker base gasket to adjust compression ratio. The stock ecu is based on a speed density system from 0-8% throttle, alpha n from 12-100% and a blend between them. This works fine on a supercharged motor or a naturally aspirated motor where there is a known amount of air at a given load and a rpm. On a turbo you can have multiple amounts of air at a given rpm and load which the stock ecu is not setup for. To tune for a turbo you need a speed density or maf load on the ecu which the stock one [on the stx] is not an option. I have setup a megasquirt ecu on my na ski and will be using one on my next project as well, the mspro now comes fully sealed but my ms3/x didnt so I had to setup a custom case/connector combo. A motec, autronics, haltech, or aem come with an optional sealed case and will suit you nicely but all cost a lot more than the megasquirt. The motec will use the stock wiring harness which saves you time and money but it also costs much more.

I have a tune for a supercharger but I wouldnt use it on a turbo, someone may be able to work some magic on it but I havnt met then yet and im a ways away from that point.

In the end it depends on your budget. I would also upgrade to aftermarket connecring rods and plan on getting aftermarket cams while the motor is apart.

I wouldnt plan on spending less than 7k for a proper setup.

Also look at the valves/springs/retainers/cams from the zx12r, they all swap.

Sean

All right!! thanks a lot I will go that way! (9.5 pistons and motec, or any other, depending on what I find )
    Yes, that is what I was thinking about, for the budget.. Better spending all that money before having wife and kids!! haha

Are zx12r internal parts better (stronger?) than aftermarket ? I was going to buy Riva valves and springs...
    Why are zx12r cams better than 15f's ?

Thanks

+1
    zx12r cams are way more aggressive, for a turbo I would use zx12r cams, ultra 310 or 300 cams or 15f cams, the valves, retainers, and springs are EXACTLY the same on the zx12r and the aftermarket zx12r parts are cheaper than Rivas. The rods and pistons are similar on the zx12r but ARE NOT THE SAME.

Sean

Just an other question (as I really am a dumbass in ECU stuff..! lol ) Which one should I choose ? M400 ? Is this one a standalone ?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    zx12r cams are way more aggressive, for a turbo I would use zx12r cams, ultra 310 or 300 cams or 15f cams, the valves, retainers, and springs are EXACTLY the same on the zx12r and the aftermarket zx12r parts are cheaper than Rivas. The rods and pistons are similar on the zx12r but ARE NOT THE SAME.

Sean
    Ok thanks will go that way

+1
    That will depend on what your goals are for the project, anything made by motec is a standalone ecu.

What fuel injectors are you planning on using and what will the rest of your fuel system be made up of? What type of fuel do you plan on using?

Sean

I am planning on using premium fuel .

I haven't decided which injectors to use yet, and I think I will need help for that too.. I was thinking of going for the 300's but don't know if it is the right choice..
    The rest of the fuel system will be made of fuel pressure regulator, and high flow fuel pump.

At this point, everything sure are the internal upgrades parts (pistons, valves, springs, etc..) and turbo parts (intercooler, pipes, etc..). The easy part of the project, though. lol. I am still wondering what to use for all of the management system (electrical/fuel/etc..). One sure thing is I will need an ECU, fuel regulator, injectors, AFR/boost/rpm/fuel gauges, but which one to use..?! lol

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information