Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

slt 750 electrical issue

Finished redoing the MFD harness and wanted to test things out. Being that I'm redoing everything I don't have the CDI, or stator plugged into the box. Went to hook up the battery and nothing! Is this because I don't have all electrical components connected? Or is it because my battery hasn't fully charged yet?

Banned User
    +1
    Its because the stator isn't connected to the box. Thats where your ground comes from inside the box.

+1
    Bryan thank you. So I can temporally attach the stator cdi to the box to test the MFD then?

Banned User
    +1
    You dont need to connect the CDI just the stator

+1
    So from the stator, connect everything but the cdi wires?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xplayer2885 View Post
    So from the stator, connect everything but the cdi wires?
    The primary issue is the black stator wire. That provides the ground link between the electrical box internals and the actual engine case, via the stator mounting bolts in the flywheel housing.

The electrical box may also have ground screws and/or a black wire linking the two halves (electrically). All the black wires and ground connections need to be present and actually connected.

+1
    K447, I have the black ground wire from the solenoid and stator both grounded to the box itself. Also connected the yellow wire from the stator to the board, and the red/purple wire to the breaker. Went to check again an nothing. I'm not ever getting a spark from the battery when I touch the battery terminals to the battery. Is it possible that its so cold in my garage that my battery is charging very slowly? It have been charging for 4 hours or so. I even exposed some copper on the new terminals and nothing.

+1
    The full path must be present to test the MFD.

On the + side, This includes the positive battery cable attached to the battery, which inside the box has a smaller wire connected to it that attaches to the circuit breakers. The other side of the breaker then connects to the circuit board red purple. The 1/4 amp fuse must be present and in good condition on the board to test the MFD as well.

On the - side, this includes the negative battery cable attached to the motor bed plate, stator bolted into position, and black ground wire from stator attached to circuit board and should include a ring terminal to bolt to the CDI half of the box. This bonds the two halves of the box together. Is the stator ground wire intact and in good condition as well? Check for 12v dc at the fuse for the MFD. If power is there, and MFD doesn't power up, check for 12vdc power at the end of the MFD harness. If it still doesn't power up, might be the MFD.....

+1
    Bluefish. The stator is not mounted to the block, so I will try that later. Which pin holes in the harness plug need to be checked?

+1
    BTW, if you are just trying to check the harness and the MFD, you can simply connect the red purple and the black in the harness directly to the positive and negative terminals on the battery - red purple to +, black to -. However, this leaves your MFD unprotected without a fuse of course...

Slide the harness cover/sheath back to see where the red purple and black enter the harness plug. Test the corresponding pins for 12vdc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information