Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

TBM Timing Advance Cover

I wanted to pass this on to everyone. I spoke with Tim at TBM and the Timing Advance cover than can be used on just about all of the Kawasaki 4 strokes will be getting produced in April. He does not get many orders for this part so it is just on a production run of once a year. If you want it now is the time to get your order in because once they are gone you will have to wait until next year's run.
    This part makes it easy for you to adjust your timing up to 6*. It is easily changed so it you want stock timing to rec ride but for race day you can bump it up, trust me you will feel the difference.
    I have to say though I recommend you do a little research on adding timing to your ski as to not create and costly issues with your engine. This can be very safe if you use it properly but improperly you will not be happy with the repairs.

Here is the link to this product which is located in the forum's online store,
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1345

GL, if I am reading reading correctly, this is only a 250/260 Accessory? Not a 300/310 Accessory? JB

+1
    We used it on the 15f, LX, and the 300 also.

The Kawasaki part number for the 12F, LX, 15F, 250, 260, and 300, is all the same. 14091-3763. It would work on all of them. I can get Tim to confirm this but if all the 4 stroke skis made so far have the same part number I don't see why it would not.
    I do not have the microfiche for the 310 so I can not confirm if the same cover is usedbut I would bet it would be.
    Last edited by lasportsmn; 01-29-2014 at 08:50 PM.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Cover is the same .... but is the sensor

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    Cover is the same .... but is the sensor
    You use your existing sensor. As you see in the photos it is just the cover.
    But since it was asked, yes they all use part number 59026-3702 From the 2003 STX 12F to the 2013 Ultra 300.
    Last edited by lasportsmn; 01-29-2014 at 11:16 PM.

+1
    Is this like turning your distributer on car to get a little more timing? Does it make starting a little harder?

+1
    I guess that would be a good way of comparing this product. Just I didn't think there were actually enough of us old enough to know what a distributer is. HAHA
    I have found through use on my skis yes it does alter the starting. To say it is harder to start could be taken out of context. It is not like you have to sit there spinning it over and over to get it to start. Does it take a little longer before actual start yes. I can not speak for a mild advance as mine was more than what I would recommend along with an already tuned ECU.
    The good part about this product over modifying the timing wheel is you can change this one to your specific use. If you set it to one setting and if you find it a little hard to start and it makes you uncomfortable just lower the advance to find the happy medium between performance and starting. If you look back at the 250 and even the 260 days along with the non supercharged skis there was lots of talk about this modification. It seems to have died somehow but trust me it is still in use.
    There is a thread about modifying your oem timing wheel. The drawback to that is you will need multiple wheels for in case you want to alter the advance. This way all you need is this one cover. going racing throw in the tuned ecu and bump the timing then when you are going rec riding the stock ecu and lower the timing. At least that is how I treat this product.
    There is quite a bit of information on some old threads about advancing the timing and Skip had a great write up in the tech section about modifying the timing wheel along with many other tips.

+1
    Also yes it is for use in the different models. The product descriptions have not been updated but will be.

+1
    Here is Skip's thread about this showing both using the cover and modifying the timing wheel.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ghlight=timing

Granted this is the speed magic cover but just the engraved name is different. Oh yeah and the price.

+1
    Notice the last paragraph of his post. Granted this is an Ultra 250x

"Now for some results. 6 degree advancing gave my stock boat just out of the crate a gain from 7650 to 7890 and a 1.8 average speed gain on a bone stock machine. On my race boat with pulley kit I saw a 7750 to 8000 RPM gain and 2.1 mph gain. So I have been proven wrong. The timing advance works and in several races now we have seen no negative effects to motor. I have even bore scoped the cylinders to ensure no piston detonation signs are present."

There are many of these skis out there so why are we no longer discussing this? While some of us have moved on with the newest models I know there are still quite a few members with the later models getting into the sport and buying the used crafts. I know many of them want to modify their skis to run with the new ones so I wanted to bring this back to light here on the forum. Not to mention that this product can still be used on the newer model since this has kind of become a forgotten product. Everyone is tuning ECUs on their skis. This can be the milder gain without going all out on a tune or a way for the guys with the tuned ecu to dial it in during the different times of the year in relation to the air and water temps.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information