Thread: Jet Pump Paint

Jet Pump Paint

I completely pulled my ski apart and am going through it piece by piece so it will be ready for summer. It is an older 1998 waverunner xl760.
    Originally I thought the engine was seized but it turned out to be the jet pump was frozen due to corrosion and pinching of the SS ring against the impeller. I ordered that section of the pump to replace the old one.

I just finished painting the engine as I always do when I rebuild them and was wondering if I should paint the pump assembly.
    It was used a lot in salt water and had a lot of scale built up on it so I dipped it in Sulfamic Acid (what Salt-Away is made out of) for a bit and it is completely clean.

Is there any drawback or benefit to painting the pump. I don't plan on painting the inside, just the outside. I couldn't find anywhere where people had said they painted theirs.

If I can paint it do I need a special paint. Do I need to etch the aluminum with phosphoric acid or similiar?

thanks.

+1
    I have read a few times that it is a wast of time as it will ultimately flake and peel, especially a ride plate. With that said I sanded, primed and painted mine just for looks, time will tell how it holds up but so far so good. If I did it again I would have used a real good metal primer like Skyco Ospho to prevent the bubbling and flaking. Ospho is pretty popular in the commercial fishing circles and they use it on steel boats/ships, my dad was a commercial fisherman for 30 plus years and thats what they used. He had a gallon of it in the garage, idk why I didn't use it. If you can't find some Skyco Ospho look for some Por 15 metal primer, I have heard good things about that as well.

Edit: Welcome to the Hulk!

If you are running the ski in fresh water, the surface you now have after cleaning will oxidize nicely and look OK. If you are running in salt, then if you want to make it look better and keep it from getting crusty, then you can prime with a zinc chromate or zinc phosphate primer prior to putting a good quality urethane topcoat on it. (I would use marine grade outboard paint)To do the job 100% right, you should use the zinc first, then an epoxy primer and then a two part commercial paint like IMRON or a similar one but we are talking about big bucks and you need all the spray gear to do it with.

I have been painting outdrives and outboard motor legs with this stuff (the zinc chromate primer) for years and it works well. ( I am getting ready to prep the pump on my GPR to paint it black but have not done this to a ski before). Be sure to follow the instructions and make sure you have removed all of the oxidation prior to priming. (A thin coat is all that is needed as it is chemically etching the surface but not providing any protection with the paint layer) Here is a brand I have used in the past and it worked well.
    Moeller Aluminum Zinc Chromate Green Primer Paint Outdrive/Outboard MOE 025472

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/zinc-chromate-primer

+1
    Hello, as you know ... most types of paint will come off pump & ride plate parts. However, if you are serious in wanting to add color (blue) or silver to your pump or ride plate you can send to a company that specializes in coating metals with an infuzed-treated coatings. They offer the very best in friction reduction surfaces. Pump & ride plate about $100. Ifyou are interested, I can get you the name of the co.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkYamMonster View Post
    H... if you are serious in wanting to add color (blue) or silver to your pump or ride plate you can send to a company that specializes in coating metals with an infuzed-treated coatings. They offer the very best in friction reduction surfaces. Pump & ride plate about $100. If you are interested, I can get you the name of the co.
    I expect someone would be interested.

Please post the info and links.

+1
    Hello K447, I used this company they treated my pump shoe & ride plate. I found them from WFOPerformance.net @ one of Rich's links. Called: Polyndyn they can be contacted @ www.polydyn.com they coating were done in Dec. 12, I raced all season and they still look new. I went for the silver .... but they had a blue option. You can talk directly with the company president & owner ... he was very informative about how the coatings were applied/infused and the amout of friction reduction is achieved. Good Luck Steve

7. +1 by:

Thread Information