Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OPAS questions

OPAS questions

Hi, I have a 2005 GTX Wake and have done about 12 hours on it. I notice at mid range speeds (30-35 mph) it gets "sloppy in the steering". Especially when carrying a passenger.
    Not sure how else to explain it but basically it doesn't want to go in a straight line and requires continual correction. A bit of throttle sorts it out and it's not noticable when I'm alone on the ski.

I've read bad press about the OPAS and wonder if it is contributing to this? Is the OPAS the same on the GTX as the RXP/RXT?

Thanks

Joe:

It has the same operation as the RXP/RXT. Your OPAS could be dragging in the water slightly, and that might be what is doing what you describe.

I took mine off at close to the end of the season. I wonder why I did not take them off sooner.

Take them off of there!

Thanks for the reply - What is the advantage of taking them off?

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i removed mine the other nite.... you will get less rocking and twitching of the ski when at high speeds.... less drag, more speed, more predictability in the rough water.

the ONLY time that you will notice their absence is at low speeds when docking or if you are going really fast and let go of the throttle completely and turn the handlebars... it won't turn. with OPAS they were rudders for when u let go of the throttle. when u remove them, no more rudders. you need to apply throttle to get thrust to turn. make sense?

OPAS is great for beginners who freak out in sticky situations and let go of the gas and turn the handlebars... bc the ski will still turn. if you remove OPAS and let go of the throttle and turn the handlebars u will keep going straight.

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    Yeah if you can grasp the no throttle, no turn concept, then ditch the opas. Like Shibby, i got rid of mine late in the season and noticed a nice improvement in steering smoothness and predictability, especially in choppy water.

Thanks for the info. I won't take them off just yet as I need my wife to drive it when i am wake boarding, and she is less "jet steering" experienced than me. Good to hear that it might settle the steering down though.

Sperate issue, what is normal charge for a 10 hour service? I am in NZ and just got pinged euquivalent US$180. Seemed hellish dear, but I am no wrench so have to leave it to the dealer.....

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    180 is right on target for most dealers... if done correctly it's 2 hours labor plus parts... that's actually a cheap 10 hour service compares to around here. you didn't get ripped off at all, don't worry.

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    Yeah damn thats cheap. One place around here tried to charge me almost $400. I ended up paying about $250.

Josh,
    Where did you go an they tried to charge you that much ( 400 )?? And where did you end up taking it?

Brian

+1
    The OPAS paddles might just be out of adjustment. One paddle might be sticking out too far and dragging causing the condition you describe.

Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information