Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Purchasing a wave runner without demo?

I am finally looking at replacing my poor ol 96 xp for something newer. I live in MT and obviously the best deals some in the middle of winter. The problem is of course; not being able to demo before purchasing.

Here is my scenario and I'd love some advice.

I found a 2007 RXP for sale for a fair price. The unit has 115 hrs on it and has not had the washers upgraded yet. My first order of business would be to do that for sure, but are there any other potential issues I need to be aware of? How many hours are these motors good for before needing to be replaced? The unit sat at their dock all summer and was winterized and store inside all winter. They said they rode it once last year and there are no issues at all. The ski is a 9 hr round trip away so I want to make sure I have my bases covered before making the drive.

Thanks

+1
    After being screwed on two ski's without water testing I wouldn't do it. Mine started on the trailer, but didn't work once I had it out on the water. Ruined my weekend, and emptied my wallet that's for sure.

I would test ride first. I was excited to finally ride an RXP, and was disappointed coming off a much lighter craft. It is definitely not nimble nor a small wave jumper like your 96 would be. I do not believe the RXP is a bad watercraft, it just does not suit my use on a smaller lake.

+1
    Your in the wrong section if you want a YAMAHA "wave runner".

5. +1 by:

+1
    When buying skis, believe me, don't put much stock in a sellers story. Believe only what you can see or verify from inspection, service records and a test ride. This is a hard one, but I typically won't buy unless able to water test. If you can't due to winter, I'd either take to a shop and have them go over it since its also winterized or do a compression, supercharger, wear ring, cables test. Maybe find a place with a test tank? Might end up making a day of it, so get lots of pics and a price ironed out as well as a seller willing to negotiate if anything else is discovered. Too many things to go wrong that will cause you to possibly spend more than its worth if you don't test one under load.

+1
    Give yourself a 1k or so buffer to cover possible misc issues would be my advice. That isn't very many hours but stuff gets old and hard. Lots O-rings in the pump that can dry out and let water in. Driveline parts, clip, carbon seal, hat, rubber boot etc... really need to be inspected and possibly replaced. Super charger rebuild of course. Little shit...but it can add. Once you do all that stuff you'll be good for another 100hrs most likely maybe more. At least you can use this stuff against the seller to get the price down. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCharged67 View Post
    After being screwed on two ski's without water testing I wouldn't do it. Mine started on the trailer, but didn't work once I had it out on the water. Ruined my weekend, and emptied my wallet that's for sure.
    I too have had my fair share of jet ski purchase problems. Most of my skiis have been older though, and not a ton of dough to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Wire4Money View Post
    I would test ride first. I was excited to finally ride an RXP, and was disappointed coming off a much lighter craft. It is definitely not nimble nor a small wave jumper like your 96 would be. I do not believe the RXP is a bad watercraft, it just does not suit my use on a smaller lake.
    I wondered about this as well, but I'm looking for something with a bit more power that can handle the larger lakes. I live near Flathead Lake which gobbles up the smaller skis. If it bugs me too much, I can always pick up something smaller down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    Your in the wrong section if you want a YAMAHA "wave runner".
    Heaven forbid I use "generalized" terminology.

Quote Originally Posted by leejax01 View Post
    When buying skis, believe me, don't put much stock in a sellers story. Believe only what you can see or verify from inspection, service records and a test ride. This is a hard one, but I typically won't buy unless able to water test. If you can't due to winter, I'd either take to a shop and have them go over it since its also winterized or do a compression, supercharger, wear ring, cables test. Maybe find a place with a test tank? Might end up making a day of it, so get lots of pics and a price ironed out as well as a seller willing to negotiate if anything else is discovered. Too many things to go wrong that will cause you to possibly spend more than its worth if you don't test one under load.
    I would generally agree with that statement. These motors are known to be pretty stout though so I'm not extremely worried about them. I am worried about the charger and washers and will inspect them prior to finalizing a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by DinoMite View Post
    Give yourself a 1k or so buffer to cover possible misc issues would be my advice. That isn't very many hours but stuff gets old and hard. Lots O-rings in the pump that can dry out and let water in. Driveline parts, clip, carbon seal, hat, rubber boot etc... really need to be inspected and possibly replaced. Super charger rebuild of course. Little shit...but it can add. Once you do all that stuff you'll be good for another 100hrs most likely maybe more. At least you can use this stuff against the seller to get the price down. Good luck!
    I will definitely be negotiating a bit more before finalizing. As it is; the price is pretty fair or I wouldn't be taking the risk. I could test one and get it home and have it grenade a week later so it's all a gamble. I'm obviously looking at minimizing the risk as much as possible hence the questions.

+1
    My 30hr ski was "serviced regularly" and he had receipts (probably from his friend). Got it out on the water and bad gas, gummed injectors. Removed some items and looked around to find the mounts and rear total covered in surface corrosion. Changed the oil and it was like thick sludge. Even heated up it wouldn't flow right.

Luckily it was still a damn good deal for me but I'd never do it again without serious inspection

+1
    bought my 06 limited had to travel from Cincy Oh. to Atl Ga. to get it was told it had 41 hrs. on it when i got there it had 29 hrs. bought with out test ride first week of Jan 2010 pick it up for 6 grand even rebuilt SC right away have done regurler maintenance and upgrades now have over 480 hrs. on it and runs great

+1
    480hrs and no rebuild? You, sir, need to plant the finger lever to the handlebar more often

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information