Purchasing a wave runner without demo?

I posted this in the performance section by accident. Probably be better placed here.

I am finally looking at replacing my poor ol 96 xp for something newer. I live in MT and obviously the best deals some in the middle of winter. The problem is of course; not being able to demo before purchasing.

Here is my scenario and I'd love some advice.

I found a 2007 RXP for sale for a fair price. The unit has 115 hrs on it and has not had the washers upgraded yet. My first order of business would be to do that for sure, but are there any other potential issues I need to be aware of? How many hours are these motors good for before needing to be replaced? The unit sat at their dock all summer and was winterized and store inside all winter. They said they rode it once last year and there are no issues at all. The ski is a 9 hr round trip away so I want to make sure I have my bases covered before making the drive.

Thanks

+1
    Great ski overall. The motors are good for many more hours but that depends on its upkeep. Ive seen 500+hrs easy with proper maintaning. If the s/c washers have not been changed there is no way of telling if there broke without riding it or pulling the s/c to look.
    When you dooo buy it have the s/c completly rebuilt with new washers and bearings!!!!
    With out a test ride i hope your getting it cheap..

+1
    Welcome aboard the Hulk!!!!

Thank you. That's what makes me nervous is not knowing whether they've come apart or not. If they have, is it a safe bet the motor is hurt? How long would it take to yank a charger and inspect? Does it require any special tools?

Cheap is dependent on market so that's a tough call. Avg retail is 5,100 and they'd accept 4,100 + obviously my time and fuel to go get it. I'd have to factor another 600 into a rebuild so I'd be in it 4,700 which I feel is pretty fair if it's in good shape.

+1
    You don't need to pull the charger to see if the washers are bad. Pull the hose from the outlet to the throttle body and stick a couple of fingers in there and try to spin the wheel. If it spins freely they are bad. If not you should be ok with just a rebuild on the charger.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    You don't need to pull the charger to see if the washers are bad. Pull the hose from the outlet to the throttle body and stick a couple of fingers in there and try to spin the wheel. If it spins freely they are bad. If not you should be ok with just a rebuild on the charger.
    Thank you, that is good to know. Anything else I should be checking out while I'm there?

If it spins freely is that a "walk away" indication? Is it still worth pursuing at this point, obviously at a much lower price?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alter Ego Trip View Post
    Thank you, that is good to know. Anything else I should be checking out while I'm there?

If it spins freely is that a "walk away" indication? Is it still worth pursuing at this point, obviously at a much lower price?
    I would say yes, if it spins free walk away.
    -the min fix is a pain in the ass and if it was run like this it'll be brutal.

Thank you. And for clarification; what you would classify as spins freely? How much should it be able to spin before raising the red flag?

Quote Originally Posted by steach View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alter Ego Trip View Post

I would say yes, if it spins free walk away.
    -the min fix is a pain in the ass and if it was run like this it'll be brutal.

+1
    You should not be able to "spin" the SC impeller. It should be very difficult to turn, and you might not be able to turn it at all. That would be a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by ncdoo View Post
    You should not be able to "spin" the SC impeller. It should be very difficult to turn, and you might not be able to turn it at all. That would be a good sign.
    That's what I would have thought, but the "spins freely" comment threw me. Thank you for the advice. I will proceed forward with this information.

Thread Information