2001 Virage Piston evaluation. Rich or Lean? scratches from ?

I picked up 2 2001 Polaris Virage Ski's. Had some fun at the end of the summer, but they need work. I have repaired reverse, replaced from hood cylinders, replaced fuel lines, cleaned fuel/oil tanks, had impeller reconditioned, new drive shaft, new drive Stator, rebuilt carbs, ………..

Now i'm down to the real guts and need help. Ski #1 drove great, but showed low compression.(117psi & 119psi) I plan to just replace rings & hone (just for new rings). Piston to Cylinder measure ok, but ring gap is way past Polaris spec. But the color on the top of the piston is in question. Some sights say this "Black" is Lean and early detonation. Needs more fuel & oil. Some say it's Rich, too much oil leaving a film behind. What do you think about ski 1 ? The little "silver chips in piston top" are just specs i picked off, no damage.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PV-1-1.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	322145Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PV-1-2.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	322146

Ski #2. I should have done work on earlier but, life. From the day I got it it drove fine, but lots of knocking, with the seat off it sounded like it was going to come apart. I plan to replace Cylinder & Piston and all related parts. But once again, the color. Rich / Lean? Some sites say the marks are from over heating from not having water in cooling system, some say over heated because to lean and not enough oil to protect. On this ski the scratches / gouges are on the PTO(rear) piston & Cylinder both intake and exhaust sides, and on the front(mag?) cylinder the scratches are on the intake side only. Both Cylinders seem to have the major damage just below the intake hole.

Name:	PV-2-1.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	322147Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PV-2-2.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	322148Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PV-2-3.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	322149

On this second ski, the Large end of the piston rod still shows .016 space, well within range. So i plan to keep the bottom of the engine as it.

+1
    Definitely lean

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    lean on all accounts,when you rebuilt carbs were the internal screens clogged up?

Lean on both ski's?

When you say lean, are you referring to low gas amount in the piston, or low oil amount in the gas.

Both ski's had the old tempo fuel lines, and had some gunk in the carbs. It's been cleaned now. But the damage was done before the ski's became mine. The #2 engine really clanked when i got it.

Banned User
    +1
    I wouldnt worry about 117 and 119 psi for compression. My 700 only showed 120 on my gauge right after a rebuild and it ran great.

+1
    Yes, lean on both ski's. clanking could be piston skirt slap (or even jet pump noise), but I'd give the crank a good looking over too.

Banned User
    +1
    The lean condition cause could have been as simple as the carb screens being plugged. Get it all clean and back to factory spec and keep an eye on it.

FYI
    Oct 2014
    New Pistons/New rings/New upper bearing/New upper cylinder on the #2 ski

New rings on the #1 ski

Kids and me having a blast!!
    Lakes Summerville TX

Name:	IMG_6422.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	349298
    Last edited by Steveb; 01-08-2015 at 08:15 PM.

+1
    Vn grats on getting your skis going with minimal cost. Now that they are running, throw some clean/new plugs in, and take a plug wrench to some calm waters and do a couple wot chops to see how plugs are looking this will give u an idea of fueling conditions. Look up"reading 2stroke plugs" to see some pics of what colors mean. Also shine a light in the holes after some decent wot time to see wash. Using a scope is better, but you can make it out with just looking with a light, while the piston is all the way down. Lots of pics all over the site here, and the net in general of what you want to see. Pistonwash is a good thing to an extent, and is caused when there is enough gas coming in to wash a little of the carbon/black off around the edges, it will be most prominent near intake ports. About a 1/2 inch or little more is good, shinny piston top with little to no carbon is way too rich.

You have none in the above pics showing lean carbs on both skis (to verify lean, as in not enough gas in general having nothing to do with oil ratio.) and had ran the skis after carb cleanings if i understand correctly. I would verify proper gas before causeing any damage to all your hard work.

Thread Information