Thread: Cayo Costa PWC

Cayo Costa PWC

Hi Every1

Im planning a trip to Cayo costa in my ski , could anyone advise if the place is pwc friendly , how safe is to leave it on the dock , how far from shore is the key etc .....
    Will appreciate your inputs

Thank you in advance

+1
    I ride from Fort Myers Beach up to Cayo Costa and there are no problems whatsoever riding PWC there. What launch are you leaving from? From the launch in the Lovers Key area it is about 40 miles. If you park at the beach on the gulf side make sure you use an anchor to hold your ski because the waves can be severe and the shoreline is made up of crushed shells.

Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    I ride from Fort Myers Beach up to Cayo Costa and there are no problems whatsoever riding PWC there. What launch are you leaving from? From the launch in the Lovers Key area it is about 40 miles. If you park at the beach on the gulf side make sure you use an anchor to hold your ski because the waves can be severe and the shoreline is made up of crushed shells.
    Thank you for the input .. Im not sure where to launch . I was thinking Captiva cause the proximity to the key but not sure if there are ramps or parking lots there ..
    "the waves can be severe and the shoreline is made up of crushed shells" good point ... I get crazy when the ski scratch .. Im looking to spend more than one night but still not sure if taking the ski or pay the ferry .... Ski will give me more freedom around but also more worries ...

+1
    I don't have anything with a bulls-eye on Cayo Coast (actually never heard of it specifically until now...), but I do have a few trails in the vicinity:

Lover's Key-Sanible-Ft. Myers, Lower Myakka to Lower Peace, and the Caloosahatchee portion of the Trans SoFL trail. You can find them all, and many more, right here: http://pwctrailfinder.com/FloridaPWCTrailRides.html

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Miajet View Post
    Hi Every1

Im planning a trip to Cayo costa in my ski , could anyone advise if the place is pwc friendly , how safe is to leave it on the dock , how far from shore is the key etc .....
    Will appreciate your inputs

Thank you in advance
    You can launch from sanibel island and ride nw and get there. But Im not sure if you can leave your truck and trailer at the ramp overnight, as far as I know there is no ramp in captiva. There is also a marina in matlacha and one in bookeelia that would be closer to cayo costa

coco is right... I live pretty close and get out that way by ski and boat pretty often....

for weekend rides we have used Pineland Commercial Marina a couple of times, it kind of puts you right there.... We ride from there to Boca Grande, or just explore Pine Island sound.... helpful to have a gps, once your out there everything looks the same so line of sight navigation can be a struggle. (its tree's, tree's, and more fking trees)

I've also launched from Matlacha Park, its ok, but nothing special.. but gives nice access to Matlacha Pass and out to Charlotte Harbour and then Cayo Costa/Boca.

Pineland Marina (weekends only) is probably as good a choice as any as far as location and convenience, at least for me and i'm pretty sure they allow overnight's. Check out Cabbage Key and Useppa while your there...

While your out that way, might be worth looking into Ski Alley, Boca Grande, Charlotte Harbor, Lower Peace River, Pine Island Sound, Fort Myers Beach, Lovers Key, all very nice area's to ride and accessible via PWC from Costa, but Lovers key might put you near the max of your fuel range.

I didn't find Cayo Costa any better or worse than sanibel, captiva as far as the beach, all pretty much full of crushed shells, hard on the gelcoat. For "beaching" the ski's I still think Fort Myers Beach up to Barefoot is the best, as far as soft sand and less shells but you'll still have issues with wave action most days...

Barnicle Phils is a nice little dive restaurant to visit... Also Boca Grand Marina has a nice upscale dining place, Cabbage Key and Tween Waters too, and there are probably a dozen other waterfront dining options, we've been checking them out one by one.

Enjoy your visit !

Thread Information