Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question 2012 FX SHO RPM/Speed Problem

Hi guys I have a 2012 FX SHO. At the 50hr+ mark I got a problem with the ski intermittently maxing out at 5000-5500 RPM. I called the dealer (they are on another island, I am in Hawaii we have only one wave runner dealer in the state) and was told that most likely it was the SC clutch. Sent over my ski to them they had it for over a month could not replicate the problem. They ended up changing the SC clutch and tested the ski. The problem popped up and they determined it was the spark plugs. I suspected it wasn't the plugs as I changed them only 10 hrs before the problem. The dealer changed the plugs tested the ski no problems, and sent it back. When I got the ski back I tested it out for about 20 min it ran fine. Didn't ride the ski for about 2 months then took it out for a ride. The same problem happened The ski would get stuck at about 5-6K rpm on flat water. This time I noticed the rpm would get stuck at 5-6K jump to 7K then go back down and stuck at 5-6K.

I could not find anyone online with the same problem but the dealer said they had about 3 of these problems and have not found the source. They are sending a tech out to troubleshoot since they did not fix i right the first time and cost me over $1400 shipping on a covered warranty repair.

Any ideas what is causing this problem? Thanks for your help Aloha!
    Last edited by 808; 02-01-2014 at 05:01 PM.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Might be a sticky throttle body

Thanks for the reply Rick. If it is a sticky TB do you think it would show up as an error code? The techs are telling me no codes pop up. Ill mention the TB when they fly in hopefully next week thanks!

+1
    I supect the SC clutch IF you Rev these engines up out of the water when you are flushing them or just blowing the water out after riding You can damage the SC clutch easly, even the 2013 type, Did they up date your sc clutch to the 2013 type?

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    It could be the clutch too I saw it was replaced in your post so I didn't mention it.

+1
    Also could be water in the plug holes
    That feels like a bad clutch
    It will rev but then loose power
    Just pull the coils out and have a look
    It will usually be ok when cold
    And get wise as the ski heats up

Hi 2fast yes they updated to the new clutch gear. I don't rev high rpm out of the water the problem happened right after they installed the clutch also. Thanks for the input.

Thanks for the feedback FX I will let the tech know to check that. Thats pretty much what Im experiencing when the engine heats up loss of power stuck at 5-6K RPMs. I don't know how water could have gotten in the holes is there a problem with this year and water in plug holes? I never flipped the ski but I do since the engine down after I ride due to the salt water. Thanks!

+1
    I use my FZS in the salt water on a very intermittent basis and have experienced similar symptoms. Mine would cut out at full throttle and then seem to heal itself. I first suspected fuel quality and put a cleaner and fresh fuel in it and didn't see any improvement. I didn't suspect the spark plugs because I had just replaced them a couple of months prior. I finally replaced the plugs and everything was fine. My mechanic says something happens to the plugs when the machine sits idle in the salt water environment. It could be moisture migrating from the exhaust system into the combustion chamber via the open exhaust valves.

+1
    I m pretty sure the water gets past the coil when you wash it down after a ride
    I now put grease around the coil seal to help stop it

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information