Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is it a faulty starter motor , how come it cranks slow !

SEADOO GTX IS Limited 2010Ski turns over very slow and will not start.Was riding about 20 minutes and then it just stoped. tried to restart and sounded like a dead battery.back on trailer and turns over without plugs no problem, put plugs back and very slow to turn over.1. Direct connect NEW earth cable to clean mount on engine. so earth is not a problem.2. Direct connect NEW positive cable direct to starter motor, so positive cable is not a problem.3. Totally bypassed the starter and all electrics so electrics and solenoid is not the problem.4. Direct connect to 350 CC boat battery, so battery is not a problem. Battery does NOT fail on heavy duty batters load tester, so not battery issue.5. Connect battery isolating switch to positive lead so I can try to turn on or off to get the motor turning over.6. Pull all plugs out it turns over fast without ANY issues.7. Put ONE of the three plugs back in random cylinders and turns over fast.8. Put TWO of the three plugs back in random cylinders and turns over fast.9. Put THREE plugs back and SLOW turnover.10. NO OIL or WATER in ANY cylinder.11. SKI has been very well maintained without ANY issues ever except for this one stall and now it seems to be hard to turn over.12. Checked oil and it is clean, you could use to cook fish and chips its so clean.Any clues as to why it just wont crank over?Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks

Banned User
    +1
    Have you inspected the jet pump? Either for something jammed in it or physical damage to the pump that could be causing binding?

+1
    How many hours?
    Check jet pump as Bryan said, seen bad pump bearing do this.

Also, your oil being super clean is a worry. Should not be super clear. How many hrs since oil change?

+1
    Possible bad starter motor could have a short in the windings or worn brushes (if they use brushed motors?) turns fine on no load eg plugs out but once you load it up goes slow as dosnt have the torque. Check pump after that just have to replace the starter motor seems like you have checked all electrical stuff.
    Keep us updated

+1
    +1 starter starting to crap out.
    Try tapping on the starter while trying to crank it.
    Tap hard...

+1
    Could be a weak starter or weak battery. I recently ran into a slow cranking motor in a ski I just picked up and wound up being the charger seizing.

No pump blockage

Thanks brianp, the pump is definately clean.Thing is if I remove plugs it turns over fine.Looks like starter can't turn over under compression .

Hi retro_racer,Pump is clean and not blocked.If I remove plugs turns over very fast, it won't turn over under compression. If pump was blocked it would not turn over fast with plugs removed.In regards clean oil, I have 3 turbo jetskis and I am fanatical about keeping oil pure. I change it every 50 hrs or less if oil even looks dirty. This last oil and filter change was done about 4 hrs of running only.

Starter is not stuck because it has no problem turning over if I remove the plugs. Hitting starter is only useful if the bendix spring on starter is stuck.This model 260 4-tec ski does not have a bendix setup.I believe you are on the right track with the starter because from what I know the winding on the starter motor can partly burn if you run them long trying to start a ski that won't start. What happens is it will still run but with less power because of the partly burnt windings in the starter motor.I have ordered a new starter and will put it on the weekend and keep you posted.Thanks all you people for your input so far.

Banned User
    +1
    Did you actually remove and inspect the jet pump? Make sure it turned freely?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information