+1

Miami locals please

Me and the wife and son went and stayed on Daytona beach last year and had a really great time. We are going back this year and would like to spend a day or two at Miami beach and Key Biscayne. I'm used to 2 and 4 lane roads and the big interstates make me a nervous wreck. I held my own around Daytona just fine but Miami will be a different story. The last thing I want to do is take a wrong turn and end up in a bad part of town (did that in East St Louis, very scary) or miss a turn and have an accident. Surely there are some smaller highways that will get me where I want to go right? Also I want to stay in a tourist safe area, is there such an area? Any tips and help will be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Me and the wife and son went and stayed on Daytona beach last year and had a really great time. We are going back this year and would like to spend a day or two at Miami beach and Key Biscayne. I'm used to 2 and 4 lane roads and the big interstates make me a nervous wreck. I held my own around Daytona just fine but Miami will be a different story. The last thing I want to do is take a wrong turn and end up in a bad part of town (did that in East St Louis, very scary) or miss a turn and have an accident. Surely there are some smaller highways that will get me where I want to go right? Also I want to stay in a tourist safe area, is there such an area? Any tips and help will be greatly appreciated.
    Hello there

I understand you concern but believe me it is not that hard .. Most Hwy in Miami are very safe if you keep a few things in mind ..

Do not drive close to the car in front you , people on the ph may stop hard for not reason .
    Do not drive on the left lane if you are not going at least 10 mph over the speed limit ... Yes I said over the speed limit ..
    If you miss a turn do not panic . Keep driving to the next exit , most Hwy exits have turnaround so you can go back to get the right exit , it happens to me at least once a day ( I drive 200 miles daily)
    HWY : 826 runs from north to south (safe almost every exit )
    836 from the beach to turnpike ( safe, just careful on the downtown area , overtown not too safe )
    I dont recommend you look for small or alternatives ways to drive on the city . That way you will end on the wrong place easily , also lots of trafic lights

Even I consider Miami very safe for a large city , common sense is the key .. Do not leave any value on the car while shopping , lock the doors . I drive with the windows down most of the time but I know the city

Most places in Miami are safe ... If you end of a bad part of the town you will notice it right away , If that happens just keep going till you get out . Do not stop to ask for directions or on the gas stations .. keep driving , most bad part of town are small and you can get cross in less than 10 min . Take the first Hwy you'll see .No place in Miami is too unsafe to be avoided but if no necessary avoid to drive at night out of the tourist areas to avoid gt lost in the wrong place
    Miami is huge .. Get a GPS

If you have time go to the Keys .. You will like it ... FL Keys are safe everywhere ... Just drive and have fun
    Miami Beach ... Ocean drive from 5 to 14st .... restaurants , shoppings , nightclubs . beach is great but may be crowded depending on the season
    little more north is less crowded . The beach behind the parking on 21st is my favorite ..If keep going North . Remember Haulover(around170st) is a clothes optional beach
    If you going to Key biscayne drive to the end , pay the fee to get in the park . you can rent bikes , visit the lighthouse , restaurant on the bay is great , beach is not as crowded as Miami beach
    All beach areas are very safe even at night

Have a great vacations

+1

Cool

Down load the spanish translator app on your phone.

+1
    Great info guys, keep it coming.

"Down load the spanish translator app on your phone."
    True .. very much need it .

6. +1 by:

+1
    Miajet, the area between 5th and 22nd is pretty safe then? Any recommendation on a reasonably priced oceanfront hotel for a couple nights? Looks like the Museum of Art is right next to that 21st st parking, is it worth checking out? Thanks again for your input.

[QUOTE=Myself;2325779]Miajet, the area between 5th and 22nd is pretty safe then? Any recommendation on a reasonably priced oceanfront hotel for a couple nights? Looks like the Museum of Art is right next to that 21st st parking, is it worth checking out? Thanks

All miami beach is safe plus you can drive north of Miami beach till you get tired of driving .
    Sorry I cant comment on the Miami beach resorts . I live 15 min away so staying there isnt funny enough to pay the price . Either cant comment on the museum of art . Im more leaning to outdoor activities . I will recommend you to go to city data website for more info ...
    what I can assure you is that driving around isnt unsafe .
    If you get a Gps you may drive to great restaurants which also are cheaper than Miami beach
    I understand you cause I travel a lot and the first time going to a city is a little stressing to drive on the place .
    You will like to drive around , just be calm on the traffic which can get heavy @7am- 8.30am and 5pm-6.30pm

Thread Information