New here looking at used need advice

First time here, don't own one yet and am looking at used. I am hoping to get some constructive advice on older units as I cannot afford new. I would like to stay with four stroke if I can find an affordable good condition one. I am not completely opposed to 2 stroke if there is something worth looking at but I know nothing about either type, hence the need for solid advice.I want to be able to carry a passenger and have adequate power to pull up a skier or pull a tube with ease.As with anything used I know there is always a risk of buying something with issues but I am hoping through this site that I can at least eliminate troublesome models and or model years.

+1
    Depends on where you live as to price range, but any FXHO with year depending on your price range would fit the bill. Some may say a VX110, but would rather get the FXHO for the better ride, speed and features.

Don't know what your price range is but I cannot recommend the vxr enough. Plenty of power to pull a skier or tube and have a passenger. Also one of the most reliable high power skis's on the market.

If you can, I would recommend finding a used one with an extended warranty. Not that you will need it, but it will be your first ski and better to be safe than sorry.

+1
    Welcome to the forum.
    What is your budget for this PWC...

+1
    Welcome aboard the Hulk!!!

Where are you located? That has a lot to do with used prices.

Am Michigan

QUOTE=wotxxxsd;2326733]Welcome aboard the Hulk!!!

Where are you located? That has a lot to do with used prices.[/QUOTE]

As mentioned earlier, budget is a prime consideration. The vx110's from 05-present are a good dependable ski. Around here, NC, the 05's can be had around 3k with 100 hours on them and the newer they are, the higher the price. The only downside to the vx's is that they can be a bit rough and wet in big water. If you are on a lake, then this is not an issue. The fx140 02-08? is a bigger heavier ski but rides a lot better in the chop. They tend to be 500 to about a thousand more than the same year vx but it worth it. The FXHO(160) 04?-08 Has a more powerful engine and is a sweet ride but you will have to pay for the fun. 09-up FX HO's have an even larger, more powerful engines but again, prices go up accordingly. I have 4 stroke and two stroke skis and the two strokes are a bargain for the fun you can have but you really need to be able to work on them yourself or you will keep spending to keep them running. Good luck. Let us know what you end up with!

I am on Lake Superior...so big enough water. My main concern is having the ability to pull a slalom skier out of the water while carrying a spotter without a struggle. I can't afford the supercharged models.

Quote Originally Posted by cnyman View Post
    As mentioned earlier, budget is a prime consideration. The vx110's from 05-present are a good dependable ski. Around here, NC, the 05's can be had around 3k with 100 hours on them and the newer they are, the higher the price. The only downside to the vx's is that they can be a bit rough and wet in big water. If you are on a lake, then this is not an issue. The fx140 02-08? is a bigger heavier ski but rides a lot better in the chop. They tend to be 500 to about a thousand more than the same year vx but it worth it. The FXHO(160) 04?-08 Has a more powerful engine and is a sweet ride but you will have to pay for the fun. 09-up FX HO's have an even larger, more powerful engines but again, prices go up accordingly. I have 4 stroke and two stroke skis and the two strokes are a bargain for the fun you can have but you really need to be able to work on them yourself or you will keep spending to keep them running. Good luck. Let us know what you end up with!

Quote Originally Posted by Sqdqo View Post
    I am on Lake Superior...so big enough water. My main concern is having the ability to pull a slalom skier out of the water while carrying a spotter without a struggle. I can't afford the supercharged models.

Quote Originally Posted by cnyman View Post
    The vxr i recommended, is not supercharged and will do that no problem, but what exactly is your price range if I may ask? It would help us out to find the perfect ski for ya!

Yeah, Superior might as well be an ocean on some days. The FXHO's (160hp until 09) then 200? after that would be a good platform. Pulling slolom skiers depending on their weight and ability is no small chore. The VXR (which is a vx110 hull with a 200+hp engine in it) Brian talks about has the same engine as the 09 FXHO's on up but in a lighter hull. It will have the most pull of any non supercharged ski. At this point look up NADA values or Kelly Blue book values to see what sort of range of years you can afford.

Thread Information