Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

GreenHulk.net Review of the new 2014 Kawasaki 310 HP Jetski

Two weeks ago I was fortunate enough to have flown out to the Florida Keys to ride Kawasaki's new 310 HP watercraft. This venue was the perfect setting with perfect conditions to host such an event for such a profound watercraft. Kawasaki is celebrating their 40th anniversary this year and they are clearly showing the world that they are a top contender with the release of the most powerful Jetski ever produced at an astounding 310 horsepower.

Those that know me well know that I live by the motto, "Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
    Upon reviewing this new beast that Kawasaki has created and riding this creature over 50 plus miles through the ocean it's quite apparent that it's creators live by the same motto.

This ski is all about excess! All about power! It's a brutal machine that just crushes through the chop. I have ridden 250's and 300's before, never in the ocean so this was a rare treat which taught me a lot about this machine and what it's built for, leaving me with a greater understanding of what all the "hype" is about. I now know and understand why the Kawi crowd here on our forum is so passionate about this machine.

What amazed me most was the speed the ski was able to carry over rough water. "Hookup" is an understatement. I was able to carry big speed through chop which was amazing to me. At first, I was traveling at a high rate of speed and came over the occasional rouge wave and thought to myself, "aah damn I'm going to lose it and I'm coming off this thing" Wrong! The ski landed with grace and total control and just kept on ripping through the chop. It didn't take long to build up confidence and I just keep the throttle pinned and kept on trucking. When you guys here on the forum talk about how nothing beats an Ultra in the chop I believe you. I have now seen first hand what this ski is capable of. One word sums it up, Unreal!

While the skis ability in the ocean impressed me most, it's also takes no back seat to carving up buoys on a closed course. The ski just flat out handles. Both handling and hookup are certainly a winning combination. Not that you have to take my word for it, the abilities of this ski speak for itself. Just look at the three previous years podium finishes from the prestigious Mark Hahn 300 mile endurance race and the Long Beach to Catalina Offshore race. Very impressive!

While I had the pleasure of blasting through the ocean on this beast, I also got the opportunity to attend a presentation which outlined the new features of the new 310 HP skis. I know a lot of this information is old news for most of you, but lets go over it all again as we have a lot of newbies and lurkers here that would benefit from this info.

The new powerplant still utilizes the Eaton TVS supercharger just as in the previous model. I have to tell you, the whine of this supercharger is intoxicating. There's nothing that sounds better than a roots style blower whining beneath the seat. The low end grunt this supercharger provides is nothing short of amazing. Instant torque on tap for whenever you feel the need. I felt it often and loved hearing that Eaton supercharger sing to me.

New for the 310 skis is a new heat resistant plastic intake manifold. Here's a good picture showing the massive intercooler feeding the new intake manifold

Here's a nice shot showing the Eaton TVS supercharger feeding the intercooler

Kawasaki has also upgraded the pistons to feature an additional ring land for better oil retention and improved durability

Other improvements are:

• New fuel pump which provides greater fuel flow for increased power output and fuel efficiency.

• New thicker water jackets which improve cooling performance

• New piston cooling oil jets. They have increased from one jet to two jets per piston for increased piston cooling

• New oil pan which features additional baffle plates to prevent oil slosh.

• New enlarged crankcase oil return holes

While the jet pump still utilzes the large 160 mm diameter, Kawasaki has made some changes to the impeller. The new impeller features a revised 3-blade design which results in increased acceleration. I happened to take a couple of shots of this newly designed impeller for you guys

Also worth nothing where some changes to the tune which results in better fuel economy and increased range when in ECO mode.

Kawasaki has also revised the rear passenger grab rail which provides more room between the legs when standing and also making it easier for a rear passenger to hold while riding.

Also upgraded were the mirrors which are mounted to the upper deck via new brackets. The mirrors are optimally curved which provide for a wider field of view.

We did have a professional photographer on hand who took some amazing shot. I wanted to share them with you here. Many of these are worthy of desk top back ground on your computer. The Keys were such an amazing place to ride and photograph this skis.

+1
    The new Kawasaki 310 HP skis come in four different trim levels.

Ultra 310LX
    Ultra 310X
    Ultra 310R
    Ultra 310X Special Edition

I have attached the spec sheets of each for you to download.
    Attached Files Attached Files

+1
    Here's some great shots showing the race inspired bars on the 310R model

I have to admit, when I first heard Kawasaki was putting a sound system on a PWC watercraft I was not the biggest advocate. Now I can tell you first hand after seeing it, hearing it and using it I'm a big fan. I love it! The sound is clean, clear and plenty loud enough. Kawasaki really did it right with this system. Even providing a billet waterproof cylinder for a memory stick filled with your tunes and a waterproof bag for your phone complete with plug in to access your music library.

+1
    Guys I want to tell you, flying out to the Keys and hanging with the Kawasaki crew was a great experience. These guys are great, they are all enthusiasts just like you and I. They have a passion for the sport just as we do and that passion clearly reflects in their products. It was a whole lot of fun being able to ride with Minoru "The Legend" Kanamori, John Banes, Jon Rall and all of my other new Kawasaki friends. I really appreciate the invite and I look forward to seeing you all again!

I will close with some assorted pics that I took during our ride. I hope you enjoy all the pics and info as much as I enjoyed presenting it to you.

Jerry

This is where it all began right here!

+1
    Awesome!!!!! Can't wait to get mine. My goal is end of this season if there's any left. Nice shot of that sweet 400 as well

6. +1 by:

Excellent summary of the 310 !!!!!!!

8. +1 by:

Jerry, How does the 310 acceleration compare to the 2014 Yamaha SVHO with the reflash (80mph)

10. +1 by:

+1
    I love it!
    Some pics will fit on my laptop

Thanks Jerry

12. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by slope View Post
    Jerry, How does the 310 acceleration compare to the 2014 Yamaha SVHO with the reflash (80mph)
    How does a 80 mph ski compare to a 67 mph speed limited ski? Is that even a fair comparison??

14. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by slope View Post
    Yes I would like to know this also. Just bought a new FXSVHO to take out to Lake Havasu in May. Haven't broken it in yet but understand there is some potential in the speed with just a few tweaks of the control Mod.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information