Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Yamaha VX Handling Improvements

I've got a 2008 Yamaha VX Cruiser that I'm actually pretty happy with overall in terms of performance (family ski on a small lake) but I am not enjoying the handling a lot. Specifically, it feels like the thing turns very wide, and when turning, the speed drops a ton. I have trouble keeping the ski much over 35 mph in a turn. I've searched and found lots of posts on the VX and mods for speed, but none for handling.

I understand this isn't a performance ski and I'm not trying to make it one, but I'm wondering what bolt-ons might help improve this? The thing is completely stock at this point. My plan is to add a washable performance air filter when I do the seasonal start up next month, but I'm open on everything else. So, what's everyone's thoughts on the acceleration, top speed, and most importantly, handling impact of:

--R&D or Riva Intake Grate
    --Pump plug kit (with either the stock or aftermarket intake grate)
    --R&D Anti-Cavitation cone
    --Obviously, Riva sponsons (but will these kill the stability of the ski?)

The water we ride in is rarely glass but isn't much more than 1' or so chop. Will the aftermarket intake grate help or hurt here?

Thanks in advance to all who can help!

+1
    You really should have a look at the Riva RPM kit for the VX. It's already got the K&N filter, Solas impeller, intake grate, sponsons and pump seal kit that's all going to work together to improve your handling, hookup and performance. They are also on sale right now
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=2095

+1
    Thanks! Is the impeller really going to be all that helpful since I'm not doing anything else to jump the HP?

+1
    I have the VX Deluxe 2009, I had the same issues now done Ribbon delete, which increased the throttle response especially around the corners and I'm just about to add air intake and do away with the airbox, with regards to handling do what Jerry said stick on the grate and sponsons and it will corner much better.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jstanfi1 View Post
    Thanks! Is the impeller really going to be all that helpful since I'm not doing anything else to jump the HP?
    Absolutely! and yes you are jumping up the power with the free flow exhaust and air intake.

+1
    I let kids, friends, etc. ride this thing quite a bit, so I'm a little nervous about the ribbon delete or going to a cone filter or anything else that would remove some of the precautions Yamaha took to keep water out of the engine (and sparks out of the hull). Am I being paranoid?

RPM kit sounds like the way to go, though I have to sell my wife on the performance sound of the free flow exhaust. She's been enjoying the quiet compared to our old XL800.

Also, I've been reading a lot about the ride plate mods...is that going to affect anything besides top speed?

Awesome forum, great replies!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I let kids, friends, etc. ride this thing quite a bit, so I'm a little nervous about the ribbon delete or going to a cone filter or anything else that would remove some of the precautions Yamaha took to keep water out of the engine (and sparks out of the hull). Am I being paranoid?

RPM kit sounds like the way to go, though I have to sell my wife on the performance sound of the free flow exhaust. She's been enjoying the quiet compared to our old XL800.

Also, I've been reading a lot about the ride plate mods...is that going to affect anything besides top speed? ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    You really should have a look at the Riva RPM kit for the VX.

It's already got the K&N filter, Solas impeller, intake grate, sponsons and pump seal kit that's all going to work together to improve your handling, hookup and performance.

They are also on sale right now
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=2095
    ... Is the impeller really going to be all that helpful since I'm not doing anything else to jump the HP?
    Perhaps you can buy the entire kit now but only install the portions of the kit that directly address your primary concerns regarding handling?

Since quiet exhaust seems important in your case, you may be able to initially add the handling pieces now and defer the 'performance' items until you decide whether the trade-offs are worth it, for you.

Jerry would be able to directly comment on matching your requirements from the kit components.

+1
    All components of the kit are available separately so you can choose the components you wish to install.

+1
    Thinking I might start with a filter, intake grate, and pump plug kit and see where that gets me. I'd still appreciate some input on the safety of the ribbon delete, and the impact on handling of the ride plate. Thanks!

+1
    I picked up a R&D grate with a plug kit installed on the cheap, and filled the shoe as well, and wow what a difference! Huge improvement in the hookup, and the ski holds its speed much better in a sharp turn. Not as "playful" as I'd like, but I'm not going to get really playful and stable on the same ski, I realize, and stable is more important for our friends and family.

And once I dealt with the oil overfill the dealership had gifted me with, I'm very happy with the performance of the ski. I'll probably consider a few more mods next winter, but for now just enjoying the ride!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information