Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

stx 15f timing help

I'm new to the site but have been reading a lot of the posts for while and most everyone know what there talking about, so thank you. I bought a 2005 stx 15f from a guy who said he couldn't get the timing right. I pulled the head cover off and put the #1 piston on TDC and he had the intake cam off 180. Now I'm having a hard time getting the timing right. Either I'm not getting the TDC straight up and down, off too little or little too much. I'm also getting slack on the top of the cam sprocket, like its jumping off the teeth when I'm tightening the cap bolts. I've had to put the tensionor on, without the spring, to keep it from jumping off, then pulling it off and resting it. The closest I've had the timing, I had 160 psi 160 psi 190 psi and 160 psi. I tried to crank it and it would back fire. I figure i have something wrong or maybe the guy i bought it from didn't do something right. Could the valve clearance cause the fluctuation like that? The service manual says to push the chain when tightening the cap bolts, but where do i push? any help would be appreciated, I've been racking my brain

p.s sorry about the novel
    Last edited by bwimmer29; 02-07-2014 at 04:24 PM.

+1
    Welcome aboard the Hulk!!!

Sounds like you bought someone elses night mare...

Smokeyseven is the kaw guru and I'm sure he will chime in soon..

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    The cams on the 15f can be 180 off because the motor dosent use a missing tooth crank wheel. The engine has 8 equally spaced teeth on the timing wheel at the front of the motor and determines where the motor is by the single tooth on the cam. It then starts counting the teeth on the crank to do the timing and resets when the cam wheel is triggered.

All that being said, rotate the motor 360 degrees and the cams should be facing up now, then set the motor at tdc on number 1 and 4. The motor is a flat plane crank so 1 and 4 are in the same part of the crank stroke, the same with 2 and 3. The cams are what determines whether its compression or exhaust.

Set number 1 at tdc

Pull the valve cover off

Pull the cam chain tensioner, next to the intake.

Pull the girdle that holds the cams off.

Set the exhaust cam to the outside timing mark so that it lines up with the metal of the head, the flat part in the front.

Now count 31 pins from the mark on the outside of the exhaust cam and then stick the intake cam in so that the outside mark lines up with the 31st pin in the chain.

Now bolt down the cam girdle while holding the cam chain in place, dont let it move.

Once you have it bolted in reset and insert the tensioner then bolt in the spring.

That should fix it, if your cam timing is off a tooth the compression can be okay but you will still have issues like you said. Ill update the troubeshooting guide.

Sean

+1
    Sean, counting the pins really helped. fired right up. thanks a bunch. I must have tried a dozen times. The guy i bought it from said he put new pistons in but not 75% sure i trust his work. Is there anything i need to do or listen for, ie ticks or knocks, before i try to run it. I'm going to take it easy for a couple of hours.Even though the weather wont allow it unless i wear a wet suit. the compression is 200 195 200 205. I'm hoping once the rings set the compression will even out. What part of h town are you in? I'm in kemah

+1
    Thanks for the greeting wot

6. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bwimmer29 View Post
    Sean, counting the pins really helped. fired right up. thanks a bunch. I must have tried a dozen times. The guy i bought it from said he put new pistons in but not 75% sure i trust his work. Is there anything i need to do or listen for, ie ticks or knocks, before i try to run it. I'm going to take it easy for a couple of hours.Even though the weather wont allow it unless i wear a wet suit. the compression is 200 195 200 205. I'm hoping once the rings set the compression will even out. What part of h town are you in? I'm in kemah
    Im in clear lake, really close. Im working on my ski right now, hoping to test on Sunday if all goes well. Im glad all is well. Let it warm up and check it over, if you hear any kind of pinging kill it, if your rpms drop suddenly, kill it. Otherwise, run it for an hour or so, change the oil, run it for 5, change the oil and filter, then leave it alone. They are tough machines.

What year is your ski?

Sean

+1
    05 i also have a parts ski laying around if you need some parts.

+1
    Excellent. Ill be in touch.

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    The cams on the 15f can be 180 off because the motor dosent use a missing tooth crank wheel. The engine has 8 equally spaced teeth on the timing wheel at the front of the motor and determines where the motor is by the single tooth on the cam. It then starts counting the teeth on the crank to do the timing and resets when the cam wheel is triggered.

All that being said, rotate the motor 360 degrees and the cams should be facing up now, then set the motor at tdc on number 1 and 4. The motor is a flat plane crank so 1 and 4 are in the same part of the crank stroke, the same with 2 and 3. The cams are what determines whether its compression or exhaust.

Set number 1 at tdc

Pull the valve cover off

Pull the cam chain tensioner, next to the intake.

Pull the girdle that holds the cams off.

Set the exhaust cam to the outside timing mark so that it lines up with the metal of the head, the flat part in the front.

Now count 31 pins from the mark on the outside of the exhaust cam and then stick the intake cam in so that the outside mark lines up with the 31st pin in the chain.

Now bolt down the cam girdle while holding the cam chain in place, dont let it move.

Once you have it bolted in reset and insert the tensioner then bolt in the spring.

That should fix it, if your cam timing is off a tooth the compression can be okay but you will still have issues like you said. Ill update the troubeshooting guide.

Sean

Hi Sean, I'm Gerry. Nice to meet you.

I'm in a little bit of a pickle. 05 STX-12f. First, can I assume the above instructions will work for the 12f (this is specified as for the 15f)?

I did a valve job and new head gasket last night. Got everything back together, set 1&4 TDC, timing, etc... I didn't do timing per the above instructions, but by the manual. Anyway, ski is complete and back together.

THE PROBLEM: My roommate pointed out to me on page 6-21 of the 15f manual (can't find a free 12f manual) that I was supposed to set a timing mark on the crankcase.

Is there any way to tell where the crank is oriented without draining the oil, pulling that cover off? Again, the ski is complete and I don't want to disassemble or remove the motor.

I figure I have a 50/50 shot at it being right, but I don't want to chance bending valves, etc by attempting to start the engine.

Thank you very much for the advice.

+1
    Basically follow the instructions I posted above to check it.

Sean

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information