Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

What do you all think of the new Spark PWC?

It has a shallow v hull for sliding. 1.94/hr gallon of gas consumption. Weighs around 400lbs. 60 or 90 hp versions. 3-seater is available. 5000.00. Has a braking n reverse system. Topsides bolts on for easy access to engine. Hmmmm. Sounds slow to me. Looks ok. Nah. I'll keep my Pro785 any day. I would like to ride it and see how it acts. looks like it has excellent range with its gas consumption. thats great for playing on the lake all day.. easy to tow to being 400lbs. If it had 150 hp in it..... that would make it much more desirable if your a speed demon. Guess they made it affordable and safe for the masses. Im sure the seadoo guys will has it mod'd soon! What do you think?
    Last edited by bowsniper; 02-07-2014 at 09:01 PM.

+1
    CARSTECHHOW-TOMORE*CarsTechHow-ToScienceOutdoorsDIYVideoBlogsAdventure*/*Sea-Doo Spark: A Throwback Watercraft You Can Actually AffordSea-Doo Spark: A Throwback Watercraft You Can Actually AffordAffordable, small, and fun, the new Spark by Sea-Doo is a modern take on an old idea.BY*BEN STEWARTShare75On Sale Date:*NowBase Price:*$4999Competitors:*NonePowertrain:*900-cc I-3, 60 hp or 90 hpFuel Economy (est.):*1.94 gallons per hourWhat’s New:*The all-new Sea-Doo Spark just might be the world’s first retro personal watercraft (PWC).Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, the sales peak for these watercraft, just about every one on the market was small, nimble, and weighed about half as much as the typical PWCs do today. Modern PWCs are big, powerful and comparatively very expensive—they’re closer to real boats. That’s great for touring or towing a couple of skiers but not for ideal zipping around a lake if you’re on a budget.The Sea-Doo Spark is an entry-level PWC that aims to bring back affordable fun in a lightweight and easy-to-tow package. To make that possible, Sea-Doo developed a unique polypropylene-blend hull material that’s strong, light, and easy to manufacture. Under the seat is a Rotax 900 three-cylinder engine that provides enough thrust to hit 40 mph, or nearly 50 mph in high-output (HO) models. At just under $5000 and about 400 pounds for the two-seat version, the Spark is almost half the weight and price of most other PWCs. A three-seat version adds 10 inches in overall length and comes with the HO engine only. The simple design also means easy serviceability. The entire deck is bolted on, so removing a few fasteners opens up full access to the powertrain.The Spark is available in a range of fun, bright colors. And yes, there’s a rather extreme graphics kit too. But we certainly prefer the clean look of the basic Spark.Tech Tidbit:*Even though this is a lower-priced PWC, Sea-Doo offers some smart tech. Sea-Doo’s optional iBR system provides a braking system, as well as reverse at the squeeze of a lever. The system allows the Spark to stop 100 feet sooner than a non-iBR model and helps the boat to dock or land on a beach much more easily.Riding Character:*It’s clear this is a manageable and friendly watercraft. Dip into the throttle and you’ll never really yearn for more power—that is, until you try the HO model. The HO allows you to toggle between power levels (Touring and Sport), but once you try Sport, you’ll be spoiled—it’s quick. And the extra power is immediately noticeable off idle.The Spark has a flatter hull design than any of the company’s other watercraft. That might limit the Spark’s stability in big ocean waves. But who cares? The Spark is really meant for having fun on small lakes, and that shallow V-hull lets it slide and turn like the PWCs we remember from 20 years ago. Though we only had a chance for a short ride, we especially liked the optional braking and Reverse system. It not only added to the fun, but it made landing the boat stress- (and damage-) free.Favorite Details:*Need storage space? The Convenience Package includes a front storage bin for anything you might need to carry along for an on-water adventure. The package also comes with a handy reboarding step too. We also like the snap-in fenders for docking protection and the chill shade—a sunshade that covers the Spark when parked or on the move at up to 35 mph.The Bottom Line:*Sea-Doo casts a wide net with the Spark. This hip watercraft should appeal not only to the established hardcore PWC enthusiasts, but also to many others who probably didn’t expect they could afford or have the room to store a watercraft like the Spark. Thanks to the Spark’s lithe design, when two are loaded onto Sea-Doo’s Spark Move II trailer the whole package weighs less than 1500 pounds, a weight that almost any small SUV (and many cars) can tow with ease.See Full ArticleShare75Lose Caffeine and Gain EnergyPromoted by Ziploc®RELATED STORIESThe 50 Greatest Sci-Fi TV Shows Ever8 Golf Gadgets to Improve Your Game14 Bright Ideas for a Better Wood Stove101 Gadgets That Changed The World100 Skills Every Man Should Know: The InstructionsKnow Your Stuff: The 110 Best DIY Tips EverThe 100 Best Sci-Fi Movies of All TimeJay Leno’s 3D Printer Replaces Rusty Old PartsHands-On With Ouya, the Android Gaming ConsoleSWEEPSTAKESEnter to Win an Eco-Tourism Trip - worth $10,000!enter nowSee All SweepstakesSubscribeNewsletterPrivacy PolicyYour California Privacy RightsTerms of UseView Full SiteCARSTECHHOW-TOMORECarsTechHow-ToScienceOutdoorsDIYVideoBlogs©2014 Hearst Communications, Inc. All Rights Reserved. At 40 to 50 mph tops....... not much interest for people that lke to go fast.

+1
    I love the SPARK. Remember, it is what it is and it is what it was built for.......lots of fun for not too much money.

Mods? Look here....... http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=210028

And as with anything, if your budget isn't too tight and you like to build things, look here...

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=209627

+1
    I see Jerry already has his mod'd ! I bet he'll be at 60 soon. Thats a 900 in there too. At least I know I can beat them all right now. Lol

+1
    Heres some more i found. These are pretty cool. Has a 4-stroke 899cc in it. The ski weighs 405 lbs. 7.9 Gallon fuel tank. That gives you 4 hours of ride time. It can also stand up completely straight if you lean back and stand on the back of it. Gets plenty of air off waves too. Looks like fun. I bet that 4-stroke has some immediate reliable torque too!

Do you think with this type of small craft coming back that our skis will be going up in price? i think demand will increase as wanna be riders with low cash reserves will be looking for a cheaper deal..? ie... 1000-3500.oo range? Lugs. Hold on to your parts! Lol

The only thing I dont like is that the 60hp version does 42. Ugh... thats like sleeping on one and dying to go faster.

+1
    *United States (Change)

Login*Register

BOATS.COMWHAT’S NEWBOATS WE LOVEBOATING LIFESTYLE....

Home»Carousel Feature»Sea-Doo Spark Set to Ignite Personal Watercraft Market

Posted by*Charles Plueddeman*on Sep 24, 2013 in*Carousel Feature,*News and Events,Personal Watercraft,*US*|

Sea-Doo Spark Set to Ignite Personal Watercraft Market

Priced at just $4,999 and packed with innovation, BRP has aimed the Spark at the young adult customers who used to drive the PWC market.

BRP hopes to reset the PWC market with the introduction this week of the Sea-Doo Spark, an all-new model with a host of innovative materials and design ideas intended to keep the Spark affordable, fun and low-impact. The Spark will also be low priced, starting at just $4,999. That’s almost shocking. The best-selling entry-level Yamaha WaveRunner VX line ranges in price from $7,999 to $9,799.

BRP says the Spark will hit 50 mph with its optional 90-hp engine.

A key element of the Spark is the material used to form the hull and deck, a low-density composite BRP is calling Polytec said to include polypropylene and long-fiber glass reinforcement. It’s significantly lighter than the traditional fiberglass it replaces in those components, and BRP says it is also recyclable. Like the plastic used to form Triumph powerboats, the Polytec material does not have the hard, glossy finish of fiberglass. BRP instead left the surface almost matte, and has infused the plastic with vibrant colors such as Pineapple, Orange Crush, Licorice and Bubble Gum.

The hull and deck are bolted together, with a gasket sealing the bond, and the deck can be unbolted and removed to service the powertrain in a matter of minutes. To cut weight even further, BRP employs a rigid composite “Exoskel” that surrounds the helm area, with a pair of arms that reach forward to mate with the deck. The spark has a reported dry weight of just 405 pounds, an astounding 331 pounds less than the 736-pound WaveRunner VX Sport.

The Sea-Doo Spark (shown here in Orange Crush and Bubblegum colors) has a bow storage compartment between a pair of black Exoskel arms that stiffen the structure, an effort to shave weight and cost.

Less weight also requires less power, and BRP outfits the Spark with a new 899cc four-stroke, triple cylinder engine called the Rotax 900 ACE, offered in 60-horsepower and 90-horsepower “HO” trim. The engine is a compact, double-overhead cam design with drive-by-wire throttle control.

The Spark is offered in a single, 110-inch hull length, in a choice of two-up or three-up seating configurations. The three-up version is only offered with the more-powerful 900 HO ACE engine, while the two-seater is available with either engine. BRP estimates a top speed of about 42 mph with the 60-hp engine, and 50 mph with the HO engine. The fuel tank capacity seems small at just 7.9 gallons, but BRP says these new engines and the light weight of the Spark will produce outstanding fuel economy. The iBR (Intelligent Brake and Reverse) system that’s a feature on other Sea-Doo models is a factory-installed option, on a Spark equipped with the HO engine. With the base engine, the Spark has manual reverse control.

Twenty optional wrap graphics kits will be offered for the Sea-Doo Spark.

In addition to the bright colors, 20 different graphic wrap kits will be offered for the Spark to allow owners to personalize the craft. The Spark is clearly aimed at a younger, less-affluent buyer – the kind of customer that used to typify the PWC audience and drove its initial sales boom twenty years ago. It’s an alternative to the powerful, complex, heavy, and very expensive *watercraft that have been grabbing headlines in recent seasons (for example, the new $18,000 Kawasaki Jet Ski Ultra 310LX).

For more information, read*Sea-Doo Spark: Revolutionary New PWC*on boats.com UK,**or*visitSea-Doo.

Share on facebookShare on pinterest_shareShare on google_plusone_shareShare on twitterMore Sharing Services7

Related PostsEntry-Level 2011 Sea-Doo May Feature iControlSea-Doo Test Ride Tour Demo Program Schedule is ReleasedPWC Update: Tunes and Tune-Up for 2014 Kawasaki Jet Ski Ultra Platform

Contact Us*|*Banner Advertising*|*Membership*|*Help*|*About Us*|*Sitemap*|Glossary*|*Terms of Use*|*Privacy
    Boats.com, 150 Granby Street, Norfolk, VA.
    ©*Copyright*2014 Dominion Enterprises. All rights reserved. Main site photos copyright © 2014*Neil Rabinowitz.

United KingdomSpainGermanyFranceItalyNetherlandsUnited StatesCanadaAustralia

+1
    I have two 97 SLT 780's. Love the things. Best of both worlds in my opinion. Deep enough V in the hull to handle a decent wave with a flat enough bottom to slide well. I took a test ride on a Spark, did about a months research then put a deposit down on one. I rode a 3 up model with the HO motor. It topped out at 50.5 mph. It did not have the braking feature so I don't know much about them except it is supposed to be a PITA to change our the wear ring with it installed. That's why I ordered one with manual reverse. With the 90 hp motor, it does have one heck of a hole shot in the sport mode. The 780's will catch it but will be seeing the Sparks back side until it tops out on speed. I am not sure how true the part is about fuel economy but the Spark board on the Sea Doo side seems to back it up. I am anxious to get the darn thing. And to go along with what CrazyA said, the aftermarket manufacturers are working overtime to come up with goodies for the thing. As it is now you can spend more on ad ons for the Spark than you paid out for the ski.

+1
    I can see it now tom, ur gunna be racing sparks with the pro for titles, It's gunna be awesome!

+1
    I wish it was Polaris that did it
    That being said, Its a great tool to get a bunch of new folks in the market, $11,000 or whatever is way to much for a ski IMHO. It looks like they take that 60hp to 100+ with the electronic gizmo's.
    If someone is not a gear head but wants to have fun...its exciting. I just hope they take some course for safe boating, our sport has a bad reputation already.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    Do you think with this type of small craft coming back that our skis will be going up in price? i think demand will increase as wanna be riders with low cash reserves will be looking for a cheaper deal..? ie... 1000-3500.oo range? Lugs. Hold on to your parts! Lol
    Hard to say for sure but my thought is why would the average consumer buy a used 10+ year old ski when they can get a brand new machine with warranty for not too much more? If it brings back more interest in PWC then our older Polaris stuff might be more marketable for people who can't swing the $5k for a new machine. But for those that can I don't see much reason not to go to a new machine.

The ACE 900 has been used in snowmobiles for a while now and while I haven't ridden one everything I've read seems to indicate it's a very good and pretty reliable powerplant. I have a co-worker who tried one out that a buddy of his had and he really liked it. Not quite as quick and nimble as the 2-smokers but lots of low-end torque and good fuel economy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information