Gas/oil out the exhaust?

While running my 2001 xlt in the fall (on trailer), noticed a large amount of oil that came out of exhaust) filled up bottom of ride plate). looked like I just changed the oil in my car. let it go for a few weeks and fired back up, and gas/oil was coming out. Before I tear this thing down, anyone ever have a problem like this? All is stock except for cat that I know of. Still sounded like normal too. Compression test on all 3 were around 119-115

I always left the fuel to on, after that I switched to off and still same reault. I did notice while removing all the fuel in the tank, it had an aftermarket fuel filter on that was very loose. Other than that I have no clue

I had the same issue and it was my fault entirely. Rebuilt carbs and left out clear plastic that is last to go on before pump cover. It allowed fuel to just dump into the crankcase via the pulse line. I was told that leaving fuel on would not do it unless the needle valve was stuck open since the pop off pressure is usually around 55 psi. If your carbs have not been rebuilt lately I'd check for very worn internal parts.

+1
    Two strokes are notorious for having unburned fuel/oil issues. Most boats such as yours leaveing the factory have their engines running fat so as not to even come close to running lean (and having to deal with the issues that a lean condition creates). They have to be tuned perfect for this not to happen. The catalytic converter was put there (in part) to completely combust unburned fuel/oil once it leaves the combustion chamber.

If your cat con has been removed and replaced by a "D" plate or rendered inoperative because it broke apart, then unburned fuel/oil would just be blown out of your exhaust pipe (and onto your ride plate).

This is one of the main reasons why tree huggers complain about two strokes in lakes... they pollute the water with unburned fuel (as opposed to polluteing the air with completely combusted fuel and oil.... LOL).

Thanks for the responses,
    I did remove the cat in the spring last year and installed the d-plate. Ran fine all summer. I also added some premix in the gas ( pump still installed ) which may have caused the excess oil without having the cat in. What concerned me the most is the gas. The first time I noticed, it was mostly oil, then a few days later when I fired it up again, It was mostly the fuel, not much oil. Everything still sounded normal. After letting it sit for awhile, I decided to remove all the gas from the tank just to be safe, I also wanted to disconnect the lines and drain them from going to the carbs. The filter that was on it was a canister type that screwed on at one end, when I went to unscrew it, it was very loose, like only needed a half turn and it was apart. Could that air leak have caused more fuel to dump into the motor? That is the only other thing I can think of that changed besides the cat. Unless I have a needle valve issue. I just ordered a new filter and will fire it up this weekend.

I did have the trailer tilted more then usual to remove any excess water before winter, and I also pretty much idled around alot the last few times out. It did always smoked like a beouch since I bought it, much more than my 800.

+1
    I doubt very seriously that air would be sucked into the fuel line via the filter. That system should run on the positive side of pressure (your fuel tank should have about 2-4 lbs of pressure on it and is why your tank hisses when you remove the fuel cap) and therefore could be a source of a fuel leak when the boat is turned off.

As previously discussed, there is a good chance that your carbs would be running fat (rich) from the factory. If you want to minimize the fuel/oil smell from your exhaust, you may have to get a good tach and tune each carb to run leaner.... but be aware of the consequences of a leaner running engine!

Another way to reduce the smoke is to get a higher quality oil like Amzoil or Klotz. These oils are fully synthetic and burn much cleaner than Yamalube which is a semisynthetic.

+1
    put a spark plug back there and shoot some flames

I think I'd rather be slightly on the rich side if any. Thought a plug would foul being too rich, but hasn't happened to me yet on either yamaha, but I do replace plugs every season.
    Been running amsoil interceptor in the 800 for the last 3 years. The 1200 had a full oil tank of ??blue stuff?? in it when I bought it, and waiting to burn most out before switching over to amsoil.
    May have only 20hrs on it since purchased. Did new oil lines, wave eater clips, sealed pump shoe, d-plate and new impeller before putting in the water. Ran like a champ the few times we had out.

Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    I doubt very seriously that air would be sucked into the fuel line via the filter. That system should run on the positive side of pressure (your fuel tank should have about 2-4 lbs of pressure on it and is why your tank hisses when you remove the fuel cap) and therefore could be a source of a fuel leak when the boat is turned off.

As previously discussed, there is a good chance that your carbs would be running fat (rich) from the factory. If you want to minimize the fuel/oil smell from your exhaust, you may have to get a good tach and tune each carb to run leaner.... but be aware of the consequences of a leaner running engine!

Another way to reduce the smoke is to get a higher quality oil like Amzoil or Klotz. These oils are fully synthetic and burn much cleaner than Yamalube which is a semisynthetic.

Don't give my kids any idea's lol

Quote Originally Posted by imp0ster View Post
    put a spark plug back there and shoot some flames

Thread Information