GPS/Chartplotter

I am looking to install a GPS/Chartplotter on my Yamaha FX Cruiser. I am thinking of permanent installation running off the battery. If I can have a transducer for a DF that would be a added benefit. Any idea's on Make and models, placement and installation would be a help

+1
    You may want to poke around in the PWC Fishing section for some ideas: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=213

+1
    I have a Garmin 640 and cannot get a PWC dealer to wire it for me. They tell me to go to a car audio shop.

Within the next couple of days, I plan to stop by the repair guy a couple of blocks away who does lots of boats and a few PWCs and ask if he can do it and which transducer he would recommend. Garmin tells me to make sure it's NMEA 0183 and I can only get depth, not fish finder.

I'll be sure to post up what happens.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    I have a Garmin 640 and cannot get a PWC dealer to wire it for me. They tell me to go to a car audio shop.

Within the next couple of days, I plan to stop by the repair guy a couple of blocks away who does lots of boats and a few PWCs and ask if he can do it and which transducer he would recommend. Garmin tells me to make sure it's NMEA 0183 and I can only get depth, not fish finder.

I'll be sure to post up what happens.
    Be sure to insist on fully waterproof and explosion proof (ignition protected) sealed marine connectors everywhere. Proper explosion proof connectors will fully contain any sparking of a failing connection and cannot ignite any gasoline fumes that may be present inside the hull. These connectors also tend to be well made and durable.

It is still common in boats in my area to see old-school wiring methods, sometimes even exposed metal or less than well sealed connectors. This is NOT what you want;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22tritonbaybefore3.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	323218

I am not directly familiar with the wiring harness in your Yamaha but it may be possible to adapt or connect directly into the existing wiring harness connectors with zero cuts or splices of the factory wiring. That would be ideal, even if it requires building a custom adapter harness to link in the Garmin.

Someone who who really knows the Yamaha PWC wiring system would be ideal.

+1
    I stopped by that repair place. He said it would be no problem. He didn't recommend a transducer, but he said he prefers to deal with West Marine because they know their product(s). I thought the transducers I had found were expensive, so I'm askeert to find out what it would cost at West Marine!

Oh, he said $165 to install both. I think that sounds quite reasonable. I'll have to remember to tell him "water proof and explosion proof."

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    ... He didn't recommend a transducer, but he said he prefers to deal with West Marine because they know their product(s). I thought the transducers I had found were expensive, so I'm askeert to find out what it would cost at West Marine! ...
    The through hull transducer is going to be epoxy bonded directly onto your outer hull, right onto the inside surface of that NanoXcel outer hull material.

You don't want it failing as replacement could be a struggle and potentially could damage the hull itself getting the bonding on the failed one to release. Buy quality.

+1
    I'm planning on going "in hull" rather than "through hull" and mounting with silicone.

Thread Information