Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Guidance on Yamaha's ski range

Hi,

I've had an '04 Seadoo RXP for 3-4 years, it's great fun but it has broken a couple of times (ok two replacement engines - see my posts on the Seadoo forum) - but this was down to the problematic valves on the earlier 4-tec skis. It's 215 hp stock but it's got some add ons (straight through exhaust, bigger intake, upgraded intake grate).

I wanted to get a new ski this year but wouldn't mind some guidance on the Yamaha range (their website really doesn't make it clear what the difference is between the models). I ride 90% of the time in the ocean and my mates' Yamahas seem to cut through rough water way better than my RXP, I'm constantly porpoising and getting soaked on the RXP - great fun in the summer but not so much at the start of the season when the water is 50 degrees (f).

Can you guys give me some tips on the differences between the FX and FX Cruiser and also the VX range. The RXP is of course a two seater, but some extra space would be good, I don't mind three seats but wouldn't want a huge ski. To be honest staying a bit drier and cutting through the rough water is my main reason for wanting to upgrade. (I have seen a 2012 FX SHO Cruiser for sale at a good price).

Thanks in advance.

Adrian (UK)

+1
    The FX SHO would be a great choice.
    Coming from the RXP, the FZS would also be an improvement for you, but the FX SHO will be the best for cutting the chop.

+1
    Hi Adrian, 2012 FX on has a great hull for the chop......if you can get a SHO for a good price then go for it. I have a 2012 FXHO.....I did not want an SC ski due to the type of riding we do.....having said that I ride with guys that have a 2009 FXSHO & 2010 FZS......both over 100 hrs & not had any SC problems at all. Not too many differences on the 2012 FX models apart from the engine.......Cruisers have seats that lock you in more & give passengers more 'security' along with cleats to make tying up easier. The SHO has an extra display with a trip computer, air temp, water temp etc......I used to have this on my old FX160 & in reality hardly ever used it!
    I'm in Jersey Channel Isles.........we get across to France quite regularly & also the other Islands.....the FX hull is ideal for this type of riding.....it is a big hull... very stable at speed, yet also turns very loosely ......the VX is not too bad in the chop, but will make you work a lot harder.

Honestly stay away from the VX platforms and the SHO, get a NA fx ski, and you'll be the happiest man alive a few basic bolt ons, you'll be just as fast as a SHO, and use 1/3 the fuel. Same hull, same motor, sans supercharger, and a bazillion less headaches.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    I could get 100 miles on a tank on my FZS

Ive gotten similar numbers as you have, but thats not going over 40mph and def no WOT for any extended periods of time. I used to pull of 4 28+ mile tours on one fx tank. With some hot doggin. Id never get that with a sho, dont get
    me wrong, the sho is a bad ass machine, and its an amazing ride. I love Eleanor( our sho) to death, but to do it all over again, id go for a fx. Way easier on the fuel bill AND the repair bill. Lets be honest, anytime a shop hears about a broken supercharged ski, their nipples get hard imagining how big the bill is gunna be. Save yourself the headache and look into a good low hour fx. If u want new there might be other options...

+1
    Once moded the sho motor can be very good on fuel
    I have done a 200 km ride with a variety of skis
    We were in a river and most of the time we were in one line traveling at the same speed
    In the way back most opened the throttles and I was the fastest ski
    I used 79 liters an FXHO used 86 liters
    A couple if stockish sho's and a 260 Seadoo used between 100 and 106
    And a moded kwaka 260 used over 120 liters ( he said 160 liters) as he had added 80 liters on the ride and was on the buzzer for the last part of the ride

+1
    I've gone 60 miles riding about half WOT and half between 6000-8000 RPM. I've gotten about 100 miles keeping it mostly around 6K.

+1
    From Miami to Bimini my 2013 FX HO used 13 gallons for the 53 miles at ~40mph. In our smooth Louisiana swamps and marshes, I can get 100+ miles per tank.

+1
    Thanks all, great advice... and Volltrex - going to France from Jersey sounds great fun, I'm based in Broadstairs, Kent - only 22 odd miles from France, we've been trying to get our local club to organise a trip over there one day in the summer but have never gotten round to it yet. I don't think I'd fancy the trip on my RXP though!

Noted this is a Yammy forum but does anyone have any opinions on the FX range vs. Seadoo's GTX range? There seem to be some good deals around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information