+1

Price advice on 2014 Yamaha FX HO

A buddy and I picked up 2 x 2014 Yamaha FX HO's (not Cruiser, and no trailer), for $13,500 each out the door with 5 years bumper to bumper warranty included in that price. (this price includes everything, tax, licensing, prep fees, warranty, registration, and etc..)

This was at the boat show, so we have a week to close the deal, or walk away from it. (Boat show was in Los Angeles, and we live in San Diego - Just in case if the geographic location makes a difference)

Is this a fair price?

Any advice will be well appreciated.

+1
    Call some dealerships in your area and compare apples to apples.

I know they are cheaper than the price you paid here in Florida...

+1

+1
    For HO models and no trailer, I think that's way high.
    But I live in Florida and we seem to get better deals here.

honestly, do you think you got a good deal, when you walked away did you happy or were you really walking away saying "man, if we drove out to this town and haggled with this guy and did this we could have saved a few hundred dollars" With todays prices, i think thats fair.. Rest assured tho, that the only thing that ski will need over the next 2-3 years will be a few oil changes, spark plugs and maybe a pump rebuild. Rock solid ski, but please, keep away from rocks!!!

+1
    Thanks for all of the input.
    I have noticed that skis on the east coast are alway advertised for about $1000 less than the west coast on pwc trader.
    But even then, they usually tack on $1000 for dealer prep fees ..
    So, if the retail is $12,900, and we are not paying the $1000 prep fee, and getting $1500 5 year warranty thrown in, excluding tax an license that brings the cost of the ski to $12,500, and if you take the price of the 5 warranty from that price, it comes to about $11,000k for the ski ....

My apologies for beating this to death, but I have never bought a new Ski. I have bought boats that i alway paid at least 20%+ less than retail, but I don't really know how the pricing works on skis ...

Thanks in advance for all of you advice..

+1
    Keep in mind guys, he said OTD price of $13500. That includes, extra 2 years warranty,sales tax, document fees,regstration. OK, lets break it down.

MSRP= $12,899.
    Invoice= $11,399. Invoice is generally $1500 less than MSRP. That is what the dealer has to play with to make a profit. Sure they would like full MSRP for full profit. But, will generally settle for at least $500 min profit on each ski depending on time of year and location in country. So we'll just use invoice as starting point.
    Warranty, 3 years is free. Additional 2 years i've seen for $400 (5 total)
    Invoice + warranty = $11,799
    Dealer Document fee= generally $99 on any ski i've ever bought.
    Up to $11,899 now.
    8% san diego sales tax= $952
    Now up to $12,850
    State Registration and title fees. Lets say $80.
    Now at $12,930.
    AT $13,500 OTD. That leaves the dealer roughly about $570 profit on that unit. Which is the low end of the profit scale. I think it's a good deal when you break it down. Don't let these guys scare you, most just see the price and don't read into whether it's the ski price or OTD price.

Dealers are content with $500 profit on boat show ski sales. Those ski's dont count against thier first delivery total, since they are already sold beforehand and the dealership doesn't have to worry about holding costs and interest to the manufacturer while they sit in thier warehouse.
    Last edited by KamikazeGPR; 02-10-2014 at 12:52 PM.

8. +1 by:

+1
    KamikazeGPR,
    Thanks so much for the detailed explanation ...
    The way explained it, I feel better that this is not a bad deal...

+1
    I bought my 2013s out of state, so didn't pay it all in a package deal. However, I got them for $11,806 each including all of the fees and the 5 year YES warranty. Then when I got home, I paid ~$950 taxes on each. So, ~$12,750 each.

But then again, I was lucky enough to be able to pick them up with the 18-wheeler while returning from a delivery somewhere near where I bought. And the real kicker was when I brought it in for service at the somewhat local shop: The salesman (son of the owner) who told me that he "didn't have to come off of MSRP because he sold 20 units the previous week" told me when I showed up, "Shucks, I would have sold them to you for that." That would have made things so much easier!

So, considering that prices have probably gone up with the new model year and California's (probably) higher taxes, sounds okay to me.

Thread Information