Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Transducer!!!

+1

Transducer!!!

I understand putting a thru-hull transducer in 100% silicone. But do you push the transducer all the way down until you hit fiberglass?
    How do you hold the transducer into the silicone until it sets up?
    Also, how do you know if you have bubbles in the silicone and if you can tell if there are bubbles, how do you get them out before you place the transducer?
    I do realize that the thru-hull transducer is a controversial topic from all the post I have read, but that is the way I have chosen to go, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    FAT RAT

+1
    I make a heavy bed of silicone and then slowly push all the way down. Be prepared with tool/ rags to hold it in place properly till it dries.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    I have done a few...... I choose the location and clean the area and the transducer with your choice of cleaner ( I use 90% rubbing alcohol) and cut the silicone tube short and straight and make a big glob in the center of where you want it mounted and pile it up about 2 inches then press the transducer in the center of the pile all the way to the hull, then duct tape in place....I like the silicone because it is easier to clean up if you do get bubbles and bad readings or if by chance it does come loose and needs to be redone....epoxy is a b&*^h to clean up.....

I have a RXT-X 260 (see listing in this link) http://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sa...ced-price.html that I fiber glassed an "In Hull" style transducer in the hull which I fill with non-toxic antifreeze. I periodically have to add antifreeze which is somewhat of a pain. Is there any reason I should not fill the transducer housing with silicone which would make for a maintenance free installation? Would this type of installation be something Fat Rat should look into?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mkistner View Post
    I have a RXT-X 260 (see listing in this link) http://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sa...ced-price.html that I fiber glassed an "In Hull" style transducer in the hull which I fill with non-toxic antifreeze. I periodically have to add antifreeze which is somewhat of a pain. Is there any reason I should not fill the transducer housing with silicone which would make for a maintenance free installation? Would this type of installation be something Fat Rat should look into?
    Mkistner, the way you mounted your transducer is a much better way to mount one. Because you still get temp. readings and should be able to get a better reading in deeper water. I would have used that transducer you used but I could not afford it. I think be patient just add water to it until winter then add anti-freeze.
    I'm having to go the cheap way with the FF original transducer.
    Last edited by FAT RAT; 02-10-2014 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Not finished

+1
    Thanks Brian. That was very very helpful. Thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    I have done a few...... I choose the location and clean the area and the transducer with your choice of cleaner ( I use 90% rubbing alcohol) and cut the silicone tube short and straight and make a big glob in the center of where you want it mounted and pile it up about 2 inches then press the transducer in the center of the pile all the way to the hull, then duct tape in place....I like the silicone because it is easier to clean up if you do get bubbles and bad readings or if by chance it does come loose and needs to be redone....epoxy is a b&*^h to clean up.....
    Wow Aqua, Great description. That will help. Your knowledge is appreciated. I will keep you and others informed on how it turns out. I will have to wait about a week from now before I can try the installation because of the cold weather coming thru Chattanooga right now.

Banned User
    +1

If the antifreeze is leaking out then you don't have the mounting base completely sealed to the hull. I have mounted 2 of those transducers and never had an issue with the antifreeze leaking out.

9. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    If the antifreeze is leaking out then you don't have the mounting base completely sealed to the hull. I have mounted 2 of those transducers and never had an issue with the antifreeze leaking out.
    Sounds like the silicone would be a bad idea. It is a very slow leak - I had to mount it in a tight area that is also sloped and it is very hard to see/access it. I am going to add another coat with fiber mesh and see if I can't get it to seal.

11. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    I used 3M 4200 to mount mine. Has worked really well.

13. +1 by:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information