Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

advice on my first ski

Hey guys,

So I'm new here and looking for some guidance on a ski for this upcoming summer. I'm not sure what kind of information is important, so I'll just start off with budget, what's important to me, where I'll be riding and whatever other information you guys need to know just ask.

Budget-wise I'd like to stay under $10k. New vs used I don't really care, but I want something reliable. Our season in the Northeast is very short so I don't want to miss days out because the ski isn't running. I'll be using it in salt water mostly around Long Island. I need at least a two seater, maybe a three just for comfort. I'm a young guy(23), though not much of a daredevil so I don't need the fastest ski out there, but I'd like enough power for it to be fun. Any and all recommendations are welcome. Please let me know what you think and why. Lookin forward to your responses and thanks in advance!

oh and if this is in the wrong section, mods please move it. I wasn't sure where to put it.

Banned User
    +1
    Welcome to HULK!

There are so many directions you can go, so many options...and everyone will chime in and tell you their opinion...

Start by looking around for other riders in your area, make friends on this forum. Having the right people around you will help you learn about these craft FASTER, and make you more comfortable around them...

If you want to get your feet wet, in my opinion...Find a decent, used watercraft.....

Such as a Yamaha VX110, which is proven to be a very reliable and BASIC craft....You can learn a lot on this unit, and figure out the direction you want to go...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Welcome to HULK!

There are so many directions you can go, so many options...and everyone will chime in and tell you their opinion...

Start by looking around for other riders in your area, make friends on this forum. Having the right people around you will help you learn about these craft FASTER, and make you more comfortable around them...

If you want to get your feet wet, in my opinion...Find a decent, used watercraft.....

Such as a Yamaha VX110, which is proven to be a very reliable and BASIC craft....You can learn a lot on this unit, and figure out the direction you want to go...
    Thanks! I am definitely thinking the used route is the best, but I'd like to finance it so finding a used one at a dealer would be preferred. I know many will say not to finance toys and I agree, but I'm young with no real obligations and $100-200/month isn't too big a deal. It's also important to not 'outgrow' the ski in a season or two. I'd like to be able to keep it for a while and not grow bored(not sure if that's possible though haha).

Banned User
    +1
    Financing a USED ski is not the best option.....If you have disposable cash, start saving it NOW...Remember, you also have insurance on the ski, plus gas and maintenance....

+1
    Welcome aboard the Hulk!!!

Your options are endless with a 10k budget.
    What area do you live in???
    Are you riding in lakes or ocean??

For a 1st ski I would suggest a non supercharged model..
    Seadoo gti 155, yamaha vxr/vxs
    Both are near bullet proof and have great speed and power..

+1
    I would not get a vx110 they are slow and you will easily out grow its potential..
    They are best used in the rental business...

Financing a USED ski is not the best option.....If you have disposable cash, start saving it NOW...Remember, you also have insurance on the ski, plus gas and maintenance....
    I've never really understood the not financing used things argument. New skis/cars/whatever have a much sharper depreciation curve which makes it a lot easier to wind up underwater on the loan a lot quicker unless you put a significant down payment on it. I know I've got the other costs that come with ownership, but just curious why you're so against financing a used ski.

Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    Welcome aboard the Hulk!!!

Your options are endless with a 10k budget.
    What area do you live in???
    Are you riding in lakes or ocean??

For a 1st ski I would suggest a non supercharged model..
    Seadoo gti 155, yamaha vxr/vxs
    Both are near bullet proof and have great speed and power..
    Mostly in the bays/long island sound....not going to be out in anything too rough most likely. I was leaning towards something not supercharged assuming that just like in cars they'd tend to be less reliable.

+1
    It all depends Depends on what kind of water you will ride on (smooth or rough) and what YOU are expecting out of it. Are You after economy, performance, luxury, what?

+1
    [QUOTE=etl330;2328345]
    Mostly in the bays/long island sound....not going to be out in anything too rough most likely. I was leaning towards something not supercharged assuming that just like in cars they'd tend to be less reliable.
    If you ride in ANY rough water at all, I'd suggest a Ultra LX NA, Yamaha FX HO, or SeadooGTi. I wouldn't recommend a VX to anybody unless you are going to ride on glass all the time.

Banned User
    +1
    Financing used is a valid argument, my history with dealers is that most will try to push you into a new unit rather than a used unit...

As for which one to get, a less-complicated motor, the better.....Your just starting out, its a given that anything you buy you will out grow as you become more familiar with it...So go simple, go basic....you're LEARNING.

Again, try to find some board members around that have a few skis in their stable. Maybe you can look at them, try them (if you're nice to them...)....Hell, you might be able to buy one off them!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information