Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up New GUY: Advice please

Hello all,

I'm not new to forums or speed but I am new to PWC's! My family and I would like to invest in a PWC and forgo the trip to Disney (we have done both parks already). We enjoy camping and we also own a few Dirtbikes.

I'm very interested in buying the FX SHO, I considered the other Yamaha products but not really sure what to compare those to (seadoo, Kawasaki, etc). I need to buy everything a new PWC would need (PWC, Trailer, Vests etc.) but I don't want to be raked over the coals and make this buying experience as bad as buying a new vehicle. I understand the sales guys have a family to feed too but I want to walk away from the deal knowing i got a stellar deal.

I'm looking for the complete Package deal but not sure what all that entails so ill list what i have found so far:

PWC
    Trailer (what are good options? Brands?- Id rather have aluminum over galvanized) What is a reasonable price?
    -- I would want a storage box and Fuel containers (not sure how many I need-what does a weekend gas usage lok like?)
    Warranty (what is the standard? is an extended warranty worth it?)
    Cover (I'm meticulous with what I own, even though the PWC will live in the Garage, I don't want dust all over it)
    Vests
    Whistle
    Fire extinguisher

Don't I need a water hose adapter so I flush the system after use?
    What other Items would I need?

Finally, Are there any group outings that PWC's owners of the Houston/surrounding areas participate in? (camping/riding?)

Any help is very appreciated as I'm sure the response will be lengthy so thank you in advance! In very excited for the summer!

+1
    Hey "Fly" welcome to the Hulk !!! I won't intrude on the Texas section too much, but you've come to the right place. Plenty of GreenHulk members in the Houston area. I'm sure they'll chime in soon enough. Great group of experts to ride with. Also check out "BAPWA" riding group near your area. good luck !!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

If you can find the threads that DrivingZiggy posted when he was shopping as a newbie, there is a lot of good info in those threads. Search should turn up his threads.

He ended up with a pair of FX SHO Yamaha, as I recall.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=196303

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=196589

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=197444

And several more ...

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Please answer these questions so we can help you better,

What is your budget?

Are you buying a single ski or a pair?

Do you want to buy new or used?

What type of water will you be riding (river, lake, rough, smooth, salt, fresh)?

What will be your primary use (skiing, tubing, wakeboarding/wakeskating, racing, all purpose)?

Will you be gassing up on the water and if so what fuel is available?

How tall/heavy are you and your passengers?

Will you be doing the services or taking it in?

The following models are similar to the FX SHO
    Kawasaki Ultra (300-310) and Seadoo GTX SC, RXT, RXT iS.

If you want a smaller ski look at the Seadoo RXP or GTR, Kawasaki STX-15f, Yamaha FZR or VXR.

Best reliability will be (in no particular order) Kawasaki STX-15f or Ultra LX, Yamaha FX HO or VXR, and Seadoo GTR 155/130 or GTi 155. These boats are not supercharged and will have less issues, less maintenance and still be fun to ride. The Yamahas and Kawasaki STX-15f will all be 65+ mph skis stock while the Ultra lx, and the seadoos are right around 55-60 stock.

If you are going to purchase used, I would NOT purchase an Ultra 250 or 260 pre 2010, there were some issues that can cause problems down the line.

Let us know what your replys are by quoting my post and replying in red underneath each question.

Good luck and welcome!

Sean

[QUOTE=smokeysevin;2328393]Please answer these questions so we can help you better,

What is your budget?
    I THOUGHT I could get a new one for 6K but once I started looking I realized i had no idea WTH I was thinking.

I settled on FX SHO because of Reliability, power, comfort, options. I could stretch the budget for the FX SHO because I know ME, If I don't get what "WANT" I wont be happy and will continue question "what if I got the one I wanted in the first place"

Are you buying a single ski or a pair?
    I am buying a single jetski. After looking at the BAPWA site, I could see buying a second one...later. My wife would enjoy the outings.

Do you want to buy new or used?
    New preferred, because I don't trust how well one may/may not have kept-up maintenance. If it was someone I knew, who had the same appreciation for their stuff, I would reconsider. I'm pretty meticulous. (I have a 2002 Camaro SS that still smells new and you could eat off the engine).

What type of water will you be riding (river, lake, rough, smooth, salt, fresh)?
    I prefer fresh only because of the damage salt water does. Looks like some of the outings on the BAPWA site are salt water. Thats a tuff one. It would need to be both just in case I get a wild hair.

What will be your primary use (skiing, tubing, wakeboarding/wakeskating, racing, all purpose)?
    Primary would be with the Kids and camping, tubing, wake-boarding, skiing, all purpose (I'm sure I'm gonna haul ass on it!). It need to be versatile as I plan on owning it and as my kids age it will need to suit their needs.

Will you be gassing up on the water and if so what fuel is available?
    I would expect I would buy gas ahead of time to save some cash but If I run out of gas while out having a blast, I would pay the piper.

How tall/heavy are you and your passengers?
    I'm 250lbs. wife is about 180. Son is a slim 12 y.o. and daughter is petite 7y.o.
    I plan on inviting close friends and family so weight will very

Will you be doing the services or taking it in?
    I plan on doing routine maintenance. I'm mechanically inclined. I take shit apart and put it back together. I might have a few bolts left over but it usually works. lol! seriously, I clean my own carb's on the bikes, I could remove heads and replace them on a car if I had the torque specs.

Obviously, I would rely on this forum/PWC community and youTube for "How to's"

/QUOTE]

Buy a 2004 yamaha SUV in mint condition and have WFO (a great local shop owner on the sw side) put a newly rebuilt FXSHO motor in it. Same price as a low new fxsho or less when done and have the ultimate family/high preformance ski with tons of storage for the whole family. I bet that combo would be the most versitile ski ever. I know Bill was doing this one b4 he passed and it may already be done? Anyone?

Rob~ I dont think anyone in the south has officially completed a swap. You might be the 1st.

Blackfly I doubt you will find the 'perfect package' but you can get close. Here is my 2....

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfly View Post
    I'm looking for the complete Package deal but not sure what all that entails so ill list what i have found so far:

PWC- Depends on your budget. Some prefer the peace of mind in purchasing new with a full warrenty but if you are somewhat mechanically inclined you can save yourself thousands of dollars

Trailer (what are good options? Brands?- Id rather have aluminum over galvanized) What is a reasonable price?- Jetskis both used and new typically come with trailers. If you purchase used and it does not come with a trailer I would look at Continental, Shoreland'r, and Magic Tilt are a few companies who make quality aluminum trailers.

Cover (I'm meticulous with what I own, even though the PWC will live in the Garage, I don't want dust all over it) Overtons sells jetski covers and you can probably find some on Ebay as well.
    Vests- Again...Overtons. They have a great selection of PFD's to choose from. Children to adults in all sizes.

Whistle- Since whistles are required by law every ski new or used should have one. You can pick these up from Walmart or Academy for less than $10

Fire extinguisher- Another item that is mandatory while on all Texas waters. My SUV did not have one when I bought it due to the age of the ski and the last time it was one the water so I went to the Yamaha dealership and bought a new one since the universal extinguishers from Academy did not fit.

Don't I need a water hose adapter so I flush the system after use?- Only if you are out in salt or brackish waters

What other Items would I need? Sunglasses. The glare off the water from the morning and afternoon sun is blinding. Some type of water shoes. if you are riding the coast oysters can slice your feet like razor blades and when in the lakes and rivers stumps, branches and other hidden submerged objects can tear up your feet. Not to mention while on club rides we stop at on the water restaurants for lunch....shirts and shoes are required. Anchors are nice but not mandatory. You WILL need dock ropes at some point and Academy has them in all lengths.

Finally, Are there any group outings that PWC's owners of the Houston/surrounding areas participate in? (camping/riding?) www.bapwa.com

Any help is very appreciated as I'm sure the response will be lengthy so thank you in advance! In very excited for the summer!
    That is about all I can think of the moment. Greenhulk has been a big help to me and the people here are friendly and willing to help. Welcome and we look forward to seeing you on the water.

+1
    Since K mentioned me up above, here's my thread with lots of good stuff. It's quite a few pages of good advice, so pull up a chair!

I ended up buying my brand new Triton Elite trailer in Houston from Larry--the regional distributor where you can get a new trailer for a good 30% less than at the dealer--who was nice enough to stay late since I was running late. (800) 858-4633. He sold me a 2-ski trailer for $1995 + $30 document fee when the best I could find at any dealership was $2600.

Are you sure you need the SHO? I got the FX HO and it is plenty powerful and does juuuuuuuuuuuust about 60. Of course that's not enough if you're an adrenaline junkie. On the other hand, I took it to the Bahamas and it only used 13 gallons each way at ~40mph. And I can go 100 miles plus while bayou/marsh cruising.

+1
    I have a shop here in Houston, and would be glad to give you advice on what and where to go to make purchases here local.

Gimmie a call if I can help.

713-725-8596
    Rich

Thanks for all your advice and the links. I read through ALL of it. I decided on the FX Cruiser SHO. I'm Sure ill be modding it by the end of the summer.

Already reaching out to WFO on FB.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information