96 GTX draining battery

I just purchased this ski Saturday. It has a new re-man. engine installed and it does run. I put a new fully charged battery in it Saturday. Yesterday (Monday) I dropped it in the water to try it out. The battery did not have enough juice to turn it over. I took it back home and hooked up the charger and it was at 55% charge. I charged it overnight on 2 amps and now its back up to 100% charge and the engine turns over just fine.

The ski is in top shape for it's age. All wiring appears to be as it should be. I am a veteran boater but I am new to PWCs. I keep the lanyard dis-connected. Any ideas of what could be draining the battery? I'm thinking about installing a battery cutoff to the negative terminal until I figure this out. Of course right now I have the negative cable dis-connected.
    Last edited by Rnuts; 02-11-2014 at 01:45 PM.

+1
    Are you sure the battery is good. I have had new batteries be bad. For me about 1 in 20 batteries had been bad. Have the battery load tested.

Yeah. The battery is actually a month old and I took it out of my Yamaha and put it into the Seadoo Saturday. I did charge it before putting it into the GTX and it has worked fine in the Yamaha.

+1
    I would start with the rectifier. Sometimes the diodes in the rectifier will start to go bad and drain a battery. Easy test is to simply unhook the rectifier plug and see if it still drains the battery.Have you checked to see if it's charging? It should make 13-14.5 volts or there abouts when revving the engine up to 2500 or more.

Don't know about the charging I'll check. I'll check the rectifier also. Thanks

+1
    I've had several that the info gets moisture in it and drains the battery fast

You're talking about the info center, tweeker? It is not working and has some condensation behind the screen.

Tweeker might have hit the nail on the head.
    Usually a rectifier on the way out will show itself by engine running erratically or acting as a rev limiter

+1
    Yea my bad Info center, it can be unplugged right outside the electric box to verify from the harness going up to the gauges, I had two or three this summer and they would run the battery dead overnight

Thread Information