Thread: 99 mod'd GSXL

+1

99 mod'd GSXL

http://worcester.craigslist.org/boa/4269370505.html

If no interest come April/May I may part ski out. Located in Athol, MA.

+1
    why ya sellin it?

+1
    lol.....4 skis & a boat and with that RXT you're building for me it has become my primary focus. I spent a good deal of time mofiying what I did last summer to the RXT and the GSXL was only given shy of 10hrs ride time after it's restoration was complete because nobody in my family I'll trust doing a good breakin...a sittin ski no good for me . Once warmer temps arrive I might give another shot at tuning the beast if no takers. It's either in the base timing or the prop. I had the base timing spot on, or at least I thought so, but my eyes aren't so good and timing it gave me a halo image and I focused on the steadier of the two images I got. Once I added in the Microtouch rev limiter I lost 2degress retard, which I found odd but jumpers let you correct it. Only wish I bought my 1st 4-tech sooner as I would never have embarked on that project and sunk the dough into the RXT instead.

+1
    Nice ski. I read your description. What RPM do you have water injection set to turn off? I did a few 951's with Coffmans and water injection and we needed to set it to turn off much sooner than what was recommended. It worked on a few of them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyA View Post
    Nice ski. I read your description. What RPM do you have water injection set to turn off? I did a few 951's with Coffmans and water injection and we needed to set it to turn off much sooner than what was recommended. It worked on a few of them.
    I'd have to look to be sure but I think it was set for off at 5.8k. MT spec'd that the water would technically shut off 800rpms later so that'd put me around 6.6k and I'm supassing that mark so I should be ok. I mounted the solenoid as close to injection fitting as I could to limit residual water still flowing. I did do a simple run where I pinched off that top most water injection line and yielded no change, and I was carfeul to watch for heat! Another thought I had was that since the first tank was premixed I might see an rpm increase once switched over to straight 93pg but barely completed breakin last season so I got more messin to do with it. I did one day, when temps dropped, see a peak of 7100rpms but that fell back off again the next hot day and we did have a brutal summer last year. I should be seeing this thing around 7400. Pulls like a raped ape but just falls shot of max rpms. I've been over a number of things with Chris at Watercraft Magic because to me after everything I did for checking all fingers seemed to indicate over prop but he assured me with that setup the pitch should be spot on and was the suggested pitch Impros gave me when I phoned in to order the prop. I want to pull that line, when weather permits, and verify the stupid solenoid is even functional but pipe never got hot so I wasn't alarmed. I nearly thought I found the problem when i leaked tested the Coffman and it lost pressure. Foolish me trusted the guy I bought it off that I've known for some time and promised me he tested it and was leak free..ya ok. I had to pull the pipe back out and found it leaking right around that top injection fitting. I took it to my local machinist for repair and he did a great job and we bench tested it together at his place...damn charged me $200 but said he had a heck of a time due to the impurities of carbon so it took him awhile to get it to seal. There's a nice visible repair of it underneath but once installed you obviousely do not see it so I was cool with it. Pipe is in real good shape I have to say that much.

ok enough of my babble.

+1
    Still have this ski?

+1
    sorry Joe missed your response. I still have it and chose to take another whack at tuning the beast and then decide if I want to relist it or not, killer is 4 skis and a boat and wife says i'm overtaking the property with my toys. I have rpms now up to 7200 and a few more tweaks/tests to go as follows

1.) Ski has a Solas Scoop grate that I'm sure is dragging it down on rpms so swapping for a stocker and retest...scoop is huge on the thing.
    2.) Going to test timing retard @5k up and see if removing some timing up top increases rpms.
    3.) Skat nozzle ring size variation test...currently runing 84/87
    4.) Prop tweak

but come hell or high water this Coffman pipe setup will be turning 7400+ before I'm done! The thing pulls like a train and did have a few issue to button up with water injection limiting rpms

And to CrazyA...head pipe injection fully turns off at 6100 but jumper is set/verified to 5800. I'm assuming the fact that a real world test with the line hanging over the hull was residual water still in the line after solenoid closes. A good tip was passed to me from Bill O that it's best to install the solenoid as close to the injection fitting as possible to limit residual water, apparently even a 6" line still has some flow so I might try dropping the jumper to 5600 and see if pipe temps come up and help raise rpms a bit more because from the feel of the pipe after a good wot run I have more room.

Thread Information