Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Ease my mind about Advent/R&D CDI's

I'm looking to purchase a used CDI.

However, as I read through past post about these things I get the feeling that over half of them crap out and have to be replaced.

I assume if I buy a used one Advent/R&D would not replace my unit if it went bad. Is this a safe assumption?

Should I go for a used one or would I be better off coughing up the cash for a new one?

+1
    gimmie somthing fellas

+1
    the failure rate in no where near 50%

buying used isn't neccessarily that bad an idea, if you know the buyer and the unit has been used then you know it will work when it arrives

Advent is very good about standing behind their product. Mine went bad last summer and Greg had me send it to him to be checked out. It checked out bad and sent me a new one no charge, very stand up guy. Mine had very low hours on it as I had just bought it a few months prior. Seems as though there are a few bad apples but most are problem free. Once you plug it in and ride you won't ever go back to the stock cdi.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VOODOO View Post
    Advent is very good about standing behind their product. Mine went bad last summer and Greg had me send it to him to be checked out. It checked out bad and sent me a new one no charge, very stand up guy. Mine had very low hours on it as I had just bought it a few months prior. Seems as though there are a few bad apples but most are problem free. Once you plug it in and ride you won't ever go back to the stock cdi.

Sent my bad CDI to Greg in October 06. They checked it out and said it was bad. Going to send me a new one free of charge after the next production run. Still waiting.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Sent my bad CDI to Greg in October 06. They checked it out and said it was bad. Going to send me a new one free of charge after the next production run. Still waiting.
    ouch not good..how often do they run production,i hope not once a year

+1
    R&D provides great service on their units - they turn things around in a day or 2

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by philip_gpr View Post
    R&D provides great service on their units - they turn things around in a day or 2
    I would have purchased a R&D unit if they had a bigger selection of timing curves. Not only does Advent have about 50 to choose from they will custom burn one for you if needed. Does R&D even make one anymore? I thought they are just selling Advents now?

http://www.rd-performance.com/catalo...n%20Components
    Last edited by Duke; 03-23-2007 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    You had better give them a call, I got mine back a week ago.

+1
    I have been running custom curves on my R&D units for 3 years, I have tried comparing R&D to Advent a couple times and every time I do R&D is faster.

I am not sure if the R&D unit is still being sold. This thread was about buying a used CDI.

Yes Advent offers a lot of curves. If you look at it they offer 4 single pipe curves, the other 46 were designed for triple pipe CC race skis. R&D also has 4 single pipe curves.

I will tell you one thing for sure, that really fast guy is not using an Advent 84 or 94 and he hasn't for a long time. Until we all start being a little more willing to innovate we will never catch up to him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information