Ultra 150 problem

Hi there hope i am posting in the correct place as i am new to the forum.
    Need some advice on my Ultra 150 1999 model with 200 hours on.
    A couple of days ago my wife was riding when she noticed at bad vibration and loss of power. She road back slowly and switched the ski off . I took it for a ride and found no problem. We used it for another full day without any problems. The next day it was running fine but while she was riding i heard i whine sound but ski seemed fine, When i got on i heard the whine but it ran fine for about a minute then big vibration and felt like running on two cylinders . I brought in back slowly but it felt as though one cylinder was coming and going on the power with a lot of vibration. We did a compression test and all are great. We have pulled the pump and the bearings are shot but no damage has occured . I have ordered a pump overhaul kit will replace all oil lines and fit a tripple pisser. I am just wondering was all the vibration and power loss the pump and how did it go away for a full day ? Or is there something else as well?
    Thanks for your time and a forum like this.
    Regards
    Barry
    South Africa

What does the fuel filter look like? When was the last time the carbs had a good cleaning? Is it a large vibration with loss of power or just a vibration in general? I had a similar issue with a clogged fuel filter, ran fine one day next day it didn't. How do the plugs look?

+1
    Welcome aboard, Barry!

I would guess the pump bearings. Have they ever been replaced? They normally don't last nearly that long. Make sure you get the new kit with the third seal.

Thanx for the replies , plugs look good but i am replacing them. bearings have not been replaced since i had the ski ( about 100 hours) iam stripping the carbs replacing the filter. also new oil lines and tripple pisser.
    The vibration was heavy with big power loss felt real bad but motor turns over nicely when we did compression test no noises.

+1
    Yep, do the pump bearings and replace the spark plugs too, its a 1999, if its an early 1999 then you need special plugs, if not, then standard ones will be fine.
    I think Steve45 knows the serial # that need the special plugs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    Yep, do the pump bearings and replace the spark plugs too, its a 1999, if its an early 1999 then you need special plugs, if not, then standard ones will be fine.
    I think Steve45 knows the serial # that need the special plugs.
    HIN 41803 and lower require the special plugs.

Thread Information