Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

One in the oven....

My wife and I just found out we're expecting our second child. Our daughter was 3 when I bought our ski,so this will be the first time owning it with my wife being pregnant.

My question is,do you think she'll still be able to ride this summer? Anyone have any experience with an expecting rider? I'll ask our doctor,but figured I'd ask for others first hand experience.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    All depends on the specific factors for her situation. Fitness level, personal pregnancy related risk factors, water roughness and how smoothly the watercraft rides in chop and boat wakes at speed.

Most doctors have little exposure or understanding of what it is like to ride a watercraft, so I suspect the general advice would be to minimize risk and stay off the machine. By the time summer gets into full swing the pregnancy will be well advanced.

Does she ride as passenger or driver?

The best case is her riding single, standing up with legs flexed. Very little abuse to the body core, the legs act as springs and absorb the majority of the ride harshness. I rarely see this on the water, as most guys put themselves in the driver role and put the lady on the seat behind them.

The roughest ride is sitting down as a passenger, which is what most women on watercraft seem to be. Sitting down means every hard wave hit goes directly into the passenger's pelvis and spine. Often enough the passenger cannot or does not see the wave before the hull hits, so they cannot always brace for the impact or lift themselves up to cushion the hit. Uncomfortable method of riding.

It is possible to ride as passenger while standing, legs flexed. Hold onto the shoulders of the seated driver. Not easy to do at first and the driver needs to manage the throttle to avoid surprising the standing passenger.

Idea: Buy a Seadoo model with the IS suspension for the summer. Big cushy ride. Let her ride it. Sell it next summer.

Banned User
    +1
    I was in the same situation exactly 2 years ago....

Honestly, by the time this summer and riding weather comes around, she is gonna be past the point of being able to ride safely...

Plus with this winter we are having, the baby will be out by the time we thaw....

CONGRATS!

And the standard question I always ask when I find out people are expecting.........Who's the father?
    Last edited by Danny; 02-13-2014 at 10:39 AM.

+1
    She's a passenger 90% of the time. Hell,she might not even have any interest in riding it this summer. I'm just trying to figure out how to get the most seat time before the baby comes. Lol.

+1
    Congrats!!!

Been there n done that...
    Dr said no way my wife should ride pwc.
    So I had quite a few trips out rippen wot by myself. I wasn't complaining...

6. +1 by:

+1
    Hello, I can not speak for the PWC riding however, my wife was an big time horse rider ... doc said if you have been doing regularly .... can keep doing for some time more. But know @ some time balance will be effected. Sure enough about a month more of horse riding ... she fell off due to loss of balance. That ended the riding until afer baby. Good Luck & congrads

+1
    When the time comes, you'll (she'll) just know whether she should ride it not. Most likely it'll be a big NO.

+1
    Congratulations! That was actually the first question that I asked the doctor when we found out my wife was expecting. He said that you technically could, but the risk was probably too high for him to recommend it.

+1
    I have seen women in closed course racing while they are pregnant.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    I have seen women in closed course racing while they are pregnant.....
    are you serious???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information