Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2005 RXT engine removal woes

Hi Everyone,

after much time browsing and researching GH, I've finally decided to pull the motor on my new-to-me 2005 RXT, luckily, many threads have helped me up to this point but it looks like i've hit quite a bit of a road block. Thanks in advance to everyone who shared their experiences, i have quite a bit of wrench time under the belt so everything was pretty straight forward.

At this point the motor is ready to come out, i'm trying to remove the C-clip to the drive shaft but the sliding collar is seized up pretty good, also the shaft is moving with the collar so I decided to pull the pump and wedge a socket between the driveshaft and prop. Here's the issue, the ski was mainly used in salt water and had little to no maintenance up to this point ( there is salt build up EVERYWHERE.... i mean chunks of the stuff along with rust coming out of the head). All 4 17mm nuts are off the pump but the thing won't budge at all, I tried breaking it loose with a large 2x4 plank with plenty of force and still no go. Any ideas? this thing is on there, in between the threads and pump housing there seems to be a nice solid gasket of salt build up, I scraped out what I could but it won't even budge an inch. All that's left is to remove the c-clip, pull the pump and shaft and out she comes, but with these obstacles it seems almost impossible. Loads of penetrating fluid was used but it doesnt seem like its doing much.

Curious if anyone has ran into any of these issues and have any quick tips they'll be able to share. To top it off, the 05 hoist lugs are cracked so i'll have to figure out another way to pull this thing out, at the home stretch but just need a little more to get this thing out and cleaned up. Any help is appreciated, i'm hoping to get the ski back to its reliable state and hammering the water

Thanks all, hope you can help!

+1
    I have heard of people having to cut the drive shaft to get them out.

Rust sucks!

Holy crap, I'd most likely tow it to a shop before taking that route but I whole heartedly agree, rust + salt is definitely not my idea of a good time...

4. +1 by:

+1
    Pull the front motor mount and slide the motor forward clear from the drive shaft. Once the motor is pulled, pull the driveshaft towards the front and remove it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Pull the front motor mount and slide the motor forward clear from the drive shaft. Once the motor is pulled, pull the driveshaft towards the front and remove it.
    Good call forgot you can do that on the rxt if you pull the battery out.

Thanks Scott,

I was thinking about that as well but didn't know if it would cause any damage to the PTO housing/components, I'll need to remove the pump housing to replace the prop and wear ring, would I be able to hammer the drive shaft from the motor end and break the pump housing loose?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by boostfed View Post
    Thanks Scott,

I was thinking about that as well but didn't know if it would cause any damage to the PTO housing/components, I'll need to remove the pump housing to replace the prop and wear ring, would I be able to hammer the drive shaft from the motor end and break the pump housing loose?
    I don't see why not

awesome, thanks! just pulled the motor out using that method, took a bit of fanagling but she's home free, many thanks for the tip!

There was a casualty though, forgot to take the starter lead off of the starter and fuse block and ended up snapping the starter relay (fudge...) I'll have to look up the part number and order it from the store, i'll update once I get a chance to get the pump housing off with the mentioned method. Thanks again!!!

+1
    here a tip but you are going to think i am crazy others might too attach a strap to the pump, with the ski tied tight to a trailer, back it up to a tree or secure post attach other end to post put a large mat down to catch the pump, pull trailer with car, pump will pop right off and fall on to mat, i know i am going to get beat up on this one but it works

11. +1 by:

+1
    Idooo I've seen that method used before and it does work..
    We hooked the strap to the pump and then to another truck bumper...

You know your a redneck when....lol
    Last edited by wotxxxsd; 02-15-2014 at 08:06 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information