Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Toronto Skyline

Cool Toronto Skyline

Hey guys...!!! What is going on..?? Are you guys ready for another exciting season..?? I hope you do..!!!

anyway, i been doing some research in this forum for awhile to get some info about how to ride my PWC at the Toronto's waterfront skyline, in fact i got some value info about the special annual permit, however, it seems there is an unavoidable In-Person test that make me think twice to get it due to time compatibility.

anyway, the reason i want to ride there is because i would like to have a couple of nice pictures of me on my Seadoo with the skyline as background... I know some of you guys took a trip there without permit and without getting fine for it... Some of you with a lot of luck by going-back without any marine authority stop and some others getting away from authority by playing "fool" saying that you guys didn't know about this special permit.

Question:

* how hard is to get there from Pickering..??

* a full tank will do the trip..?? Go and back..??

* i know doing this trip WITHOUT the harbour permit is about luck, but do you think 5 minutes there will be enough time to go In and Out..??

* any restriction inside the bay..??

* for those who already did this... Any video or pic will be appreciate it...!!!!

thanks in advance for any help post in here...

I hope to see some of you this season..!!!

cheers

Juancho

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    See this thread;

Toronto Port Authority Boating Permit and Harbour perimeter extent

The Toronto inner harbour is a speed limited zone so you will be spending way more than 5 minutes just getting into the inner harbour. Enforcement tends to notice PWC in the harbour so you are somewhat likely to receive attention.

Note that the Toronto Harbour official perimeter extends outside the Islands, so you are expected to have the permit anywhere in the marked zone.

^Wow, that sucks. I've gone up just past the runway and had planes take off overhead thinking that was ok.

If its a one time deal, I would just risk it. However if plan on going a few times per year just hunker down and buy it. Not worth the hassle and you may learn some things.

Thanks for the head up... This is definitely a one time deal for sure... But also i don't want to get fine for it... Im not a kind of a risky guy... I usually play safe... Im 39 years old trying to get a nice downtown pic as background but i don't think is worth it to pay the permit plus the trip to do the in-person test, which i believe should be on the water... Thats will be another inconvenient, because i have to tow my seadoo all the way to downtown...

anyone did this famous test before..??

Just snoozin' on the couch M447's Avatar
    +1
    Yeah, the test is easy. Classroom and practical. A half day if I remember correctly. They just go over safe boating and it's a multiple choice test. Do the practical in the boat they supply, not on your ski. It's an aluminum boat with a 9.9 on the back. You're partnered up and do a mock rescue with a lifejacket. So easy to pass that my partner ran over the "victim" with our boat and still passed.
    Do it at the Outer Marina in the east end. No need to go downtown.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by M447 View Post
    Yeah, the test is easy. Classroom and practical. A half day if I remember correctly. They just go over safe boating and it's a multiple choice test. Do the practical in the boat they supply, not on your ski. It's an aluminum boat with a 9.9 on the back. You're partnered up and do a mock rescue with a lifejacket. So easy to pass that my partner ran over the "victim" with our boat and still passed.
    Do it at the Outer Marina in the east end. No need to go downtown.
    All you need to do is schedule the test date and show up. No PWC.

Your car GPS will take you there.

Among the things you will learn is that there are certain portions of the Harbour shoreline that you are not allowed to go near. No, they cannot tell you where all those places are - it's classified.

8. +1 by:

Great post guys... Awesome information, i might consider to do this test instead risk a possible fine for being a little stupid...

I will do a visit during the week to make an appointment in person, pay the fees and book the test... That should speed up my request instead send the application by mail...

I will keep you all update... However, if anyone have something to add, please do... I will appreciate it...!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Juancho View Post
    Great post guys... Awesome information, i might consider to do this test instead risk a possible fine for being a little stupid...

I will do a visit during the week to make an appointment in person, pay the fees and book the test... That should speed up my request instead send the application by mail...

I will keep you all update... However, if anyone have something to add, please do... I will appreciate it...!!!
    The Outer Harbour Marina Testing location may not be staffed except during test sessions.

Call the office phone number and verify when/how you can make the appointment. I think there is just one or two people that handle the whole permit program and it was straightforward to select a scheduled date and then show up.

I did have to leave a phone message and someone called me back, as I recall.

+1
    I ride in the Toronto Harbor all the time. We ride by the Police boats and they wave at us and we wave back. Never had a problem. However, we don't drive around at high speeds either. I would not waste my time taking some test to get a permit.

Just snoozin' on the couch M447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestram View Post
    I ride in the Toronto Harbor all the time. We ride by the Police boats and they wave at us and we wave back. Never had a problem. However, we don't drive around at high speeds either. I would not waste my time taking some test to get a permit.
    It's not necessarily on the water where they'll do the checks.

We ride the Harbor all the time too. I've been at the ramp early morning on a midweek day, and they're in the lot at the launch ramp. If you can prove that you're in compliance with the main stuff, ropes, whistle, flashlight, etc it's "Have a nice day. Enjoy your ride." They won't dig any deeper. Then they go off to visit the fishermen that have just come off the water and do the checks there and they are thorough!

If you're found to not have everything or things are in poor working order or expired, they WILL dig deeper and ask you for your Inner Harbor License at the end. If you don't have one, it just gets added to your fine. An easy $125 for them on top of everything else. It's easy to run up the fines to $1000 or more.

If you're cool with gambling that they won't ask you for it, that's yours to decide.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information