Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question "12V low" RXDI...

Hello,
    I normally do not post in the 2-stroke forums anymore since I sold my 02 RXDI to my buddy... (that's the problem, Sold it to a friend...) I never had any issues with the ski in the few years that I owned it, but last year my friend started having issues with the maintenance light kicking on and blinking "12V low". This sets the ski into limp mode, kills the performance for a few seconds, kicks off and then returns to normal.
    First thing we did was bought a new battery. This did not fix the problem. I then checked the voltage of the ski, and the charging system was right on target, the battery was not even low at the time of the "12V low" notification.
    Next I took it to the web, searched hours and hours on several forums, and came to the conclusion that since it was in fact still charging, the stator should not be the problem, it must be the rectifier as many suggested. We purchased a new rectifier (made sure it was not a Chinese knock-off) and this too did not fix the problem...
    I am now at a loss... I have a friend who is upset with the issue, and most of all my riding buddy is constantly falling behind as the ski goes into limp mode... Google this problem and pages, and pages come up of this COMMON problem. I would hate to pull the engine to replace a stator that may not be bad... does anyone have any further ideas other then the battery &/or the rectifier?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated...

What is the float voltage of the battery? (No dess key on )
    Does the batter voltage rise when running on the flusher or drop?

+1
    It can be as small as corroded pins on the mpem and not connecting properly,Pull the harnesses of(depress the tabs or they will break)
    Have a good look on every pin for corrosion and clean off (manually then spray a rust inhibitor on them) try this first as its cheap and easy to do and will rule this out at least.

The charging system, when checked over the summer did show a slight increase in voltage. (not like an engine with an alternator, but form what I was told a stator system does not really charge the battery, it more like "maintains" battery voltage)

As for the corrosion idea, that looks like a good place to start (thanks surfnturf)

I did some more research and found this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rxdi.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	323248

Since I have not been working on this ski in a few years I am not sure what fuses they would be talking about... anyone have any idea? and of their location? Thanks

Unplug the stator cable and check AC voltage with running engine on all 3 wires.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.seadoo View Post
    Unplug the stator cable and check AC voltage with running engine on all 3 wires.
    Will do. What kind of current should it be running at?

Not sure,i'll will tell you as soon i get back to the shop

The reading voltage should be betwen 25-40 VCA with engine runing at 3500 rpm
    Check resistance betwen stator and ground it should be no continuity

Quote Originally Posted by dr.seadoo View Post
    The reading voltage should be betwen 25-40 VCA with engine runing at 3500 rpm
    Check resistance betwen stator and ground it should be no continuity
    Thank you, I will check

+1
    The charging system, when checked over the summer did show a slight increase in voltage. (not like an engine with an alternator, but form what I was told a stator system does not really charge the battery, it more like "maintains" battery voltage)
    The charging system should show more than a slight increase in voltage. Check voltage with engine off and then start ski and check again. Running voltage should be over 13 volts. Probably closer to 14.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information