Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Intercooler Testing -- Calling all SVHO and modified SHO owners

I am looking to send out some loaner units to back-to-back test my Fizzle Y1000 Intercooler against the stock SVHO intercooler, against the Riva Gen 2 intercooler, and against R&D's best intercooler available. I am looking to have the tests done in the warmest climates to show the true results as cold weather does not really put a strain on most intercoolers. So if you live in the southern US and are interested in doing some testing please send me a message. This is for those who have either a SVHO with stock intercooler or a SHO (FZR, FZS, FX SHO) with Riva Gen 2 intercooler or best R&D intercooler.

Here's a link to the Fizzle Y1000 Kit description and some pictures: http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1945

Please keep in mind that the Fizzle Y1000 Yamaha Intercooler Kit is much easier to install than the Riva unit by far, so please don't let the install time deter you from volunteering. I am looking for some honest and thorough people to participate.

I am looking for at least the basic results, but the more advanced the better. RPM gain, speed gain, outside air temp. and water temp. are what I consider the basics. Boost gains and supercharger outlet temperatures + air intake temperatures are a bonus but not required.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fizzle Y1000 Intercooler.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	323276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fizzle Yamaha Intercooler.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	323277   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fizzle Yamaha Intercooler 2.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	323278  

+1
    I forgot to mention possibly the most important part! I will compensate anyone who participates in the testing and does a good job of it. I will either send you funds directly (say, $100?) or I will make sure you get a credit towards the intercooler kit if you decide to buy it.

And for whoever tests the Fizzle Y1000 Intercooler against the Riva or R&D I will even offer you a trade in credit so that you can keep the Fizzle Intercooler installed after you see that it outperforms them both

+1
    i bet it would work great in my conversion to replace the type 14 i'm using, even that works pretty well

+1
    Did you contact Dean yet? He said he would test it. Whoever back to back tests this needs to have Motec, Vipec or Athena to be able to log IAT's and boost readings. Also preferable to have auxiliary temp sensor measuring output temps of supercharger so that temp drop across intercoolers can be logged. Dean is set up to do this.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Did you contact Dean yet? He said he would test it. Whoever back to back tests this needs to have Motec, Vipec or Athena to be able to log IAT's and boost readings. Also preferable to have auxiliary temp sensor measuring output temps of supercharger so that temp drop across intercoolers can be logged. Dean is set up to do this.
    Yes, Dean has the cooler and said he is using it on a build he is the process of doing. I am trying to get this cooler into more people's hands so they can see how great it performs compared to what's out there already. Speed gains (at same RPM) or RPM gain alone will show categorically which intercooler performs better in a direct back to back comparison. No logs needed for that type of comparison IMO when you have 10 or so runs to back up the RPM and speed numbers for each cooler. Of course, I do have others testing currently or have already tested where they logged all the numbers you mentioned. I don't have comparable data for those tests though when talking about the other mfg's intercoolers. All that is coming soon

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    i bet it would work great in my conversion to replace the type 14 i'm using, even that works pretty well
    Sorry big John I already have someone doing the type 14 vs. Y1000 test

7. +1 by:

Not to hijack but I'm interested in your intercooler but I am very curious what the gain is running this off the stock water lines versus upgraded lines (such as running dedicated cooling lines to the engine vs the intercooler). I love the idea of a much easier install over the competition but if it is twice as effective with upgraded lines then I would end up doing the more complicated install anyway.

Any chance with this testing to isolate that variation as well?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bd08fxsho View Post
    Not to hijack but I'm interested in your intercooler but I am very curious what the gain is running this off the stock water lines versus upgraded lines (such as running dedicated cooling lines to the engine vs the intercooler). I love the idea of a much easier install over the competition but if it is twice as effective with upgraded lines then I would end up doing the more complicated install anyway.

Any chance with this testing to isolate that variation as well?
    Changing cooling lines will take the same amount of time for each intercooler. The gains from changing the stock water routing are seen most after the engine is warmed up. Basically there's less heat fade with an aftermarket cooling configuration.

+1
    Is KY considered warm enough? I have the biggest R&D intercooler.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RobZ71LM7 View Post
    Is KY considered warm enough? I have the biggest R&D intercooler.
    Even if the air breaks 80 anytime soon it will probably be a few months until the water warms up. We might be able to run a test with the cooler water. How much boost are you seeing? Any idea what the water temp is where you ride?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information