Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Help me buy a 300x!

alright so long story short i have been a seadoo man for all my years in the personal watercraft community. but a 2011 300x has recently popped up in my area for a price basically irresistible. i have little experience with Kawasaki at all so i need you guys to basically give me a check list for when i go to look this thing over. tell me what i should look out for. btw this 300 has 52 hours on it. all help or any pointers are appreciated! thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Water test is not possible, correct?

If it too good to be true, it probably is. Dont get yourself caught up in a ski that needs a ton of work or might later. Always test drive used skis, always... At minimum youll want to get it to Operating temps and see how she rides. Starting on a hose doesnt count...good luck, keep us in the loop on how it goes.

+1
    You have to think why is he selling it? Is it broken? Do they just not use it enough? Also try to find out if they know about fogging the supercharger and ask how often they do it. It is supposed to be fogged after every ride. If the thing was ridden in salt and never fogged that could be a bad thing. Salt crystals sitting in there for a long time will just corrode everything. You will need to change the exhaust filter and gaskets as well since its at 50 hours just to be safe. Check the engine bay see if there is rust anywhere or if it looks clean and well maintained.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pummsgtx255 View Post
    alright so long story short i have been a seadoo man for all my years in the personal watercraft community. but a 2011 300x has recently popped up in my area for a price basically irresistible. i have little experience with Kawasaki at all so i need you guys to basically give me a check list for when i go to look this thing over. tell me what i should look out for. btw this 300 has 52 hours on it. all help or any pointers are appreciated! thanks
    I would advise both compression + leak down tests.

+1
    Some people dooo sell in the middle of winter knowing you can't water test it...

+1
    This is a fresh water only ski by the way. I know the basics when it comes to
    buying used skis. I want to learn some things that a specific to the 300x

+1
    Hello, you did not mention asking/listing price ... it might be it is just a good deal. 50 hours is not much. @ the very least take a compression gauge with you to comp check ... do a start up at least for a 20 seconds or so .... listen for any known knocks .... check oil and if you can run a water/hose teat do it. Ask if they would allow for a Dealer/mech check out .... not all winter sales are suspect ... some people just do not want it any longer ... do ask why the sale. Good Luck P. S. ask for any maintenance records .... super charger etc.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    Some people dooo sell in the middle of winter knowing you can't water test it...
    Indeed.

Mentally set aside part of the mid-winter deal 'savings' to pay for a more thorough technical inspection, preferably by someone who really knows these machines.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pummsgtx255 View Post
    I want to learn some things that a specific to the 300x
    Exhaust along with the exhaust filter and the damage that may potentially be present (internal corrosion) if they were not shown proper care.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information