Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Ultra LX--Managing Without Trim

I have another thread going about my next ski purchase but was wondering what you Ultra LX owners think about not being able to trim your boat out. I know you can adjust your weight fore and aft to get a bit of trim out of it but I'm pretty sure I'd go nuts not having the feature on a ski. What do you think?

It's been a few years since I owned a PWC but I know I was always adjust the attitude of the ski. Tough call because I had a great deal lined up and then realized it didn't have it so I backed out.

+1
    That's funny ..... come to think of it. I have a power trim and I do not recall the last time I ever used. Ha Ha I always just adjust my body position and ride style for the water conditions. I guess maybe on Kawi LX trim is a big deal ???

+1
    Not sure if it is a big deal. Looking for some pros and cons. I know that with my boat and previous ski excursions, I used it. Suppose I could install some mini trim tabs later if I needed some trim...

My experience with power trim has been limited to several hours on a mid 2000s Seadoo RXP and an hour on an FX HO so Im not best authority. I agree that the trim is cool feature that Id rather have than not. But, as I said on other thread, I wouldnt bother trying to retrofit a 160HP or 250/260 Ultra with it unless it was cheap and easy. The Ultra's rough water handling is its strong suit with or without trim. I do think that Ultra is a bit bow heavy and plows at slow speed especially with full tank and cargo bay. You give up some top speed on flat water with the big, heavy hull. But, to get the rough water handling in exchange is worth it. Now, if you want to bring nose up a bit for max flat water speed, you can add a 1 or 2mm pump wedge that changes thrust angle and/or you can experiment with a different ride plate. I thought that changing the ride plate and adding a wedge brought up the bow and gave a noticeable speed gain on the flat but the consensus here on GH seems to be that it takes away handling and hook up in rough water. Good luck whatever you decide to do. BTW maybe you better buy the ski now before the wedding wipes out budget. Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission! Hopefully we see you on Sound this Spring!

+1
    Good to know there's some options for changing the trim angle if it comes to that.. We'll be out and about. Been under that bridge more than a few times! Ex in-laws lived on Eld Inlet and I fished the whole South Sound.

Get married at home and have some friends over to play on the water.

+1
    I couldnt imagine riding in the ocean without trim. How do you keep the nose up on a ski that weighs 450kg plus? Or when going on long rides with an external tank? Turning while going fast on my last ski fzs was nowhere as good with the pump trimmed up. Turns 10times better with the nozzle dropped. I wouldnt mind a drop nozzle on my 300X

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Ridden many miles on Ultra LX (N/A) w/o trim in ocean and never felt I really needed one. Never remember thinking to myself "Gee, I wish I had trim on this sucka". It works just fine w/o it. Great ski by the way and BEST all-around rec ski IMO.

+1
    I suppose if your putting around not trying to get the most out of your ski you would be happy with no adjustment. Carrying the nose a little over large chop can be a benefit as can flattening out smaller chop with dropping the nose and putting the nose in more. If it doesn't make a difference I'm sure kawasaki would leave it off all their skis. If your happy with Your ski that's all that matters. But it would p*ss me off no having it. Turn in is So much better with the nose all the way down when going fast. Comes down to physics.

+1
    Remember gianni the 250 and 260 had no trim

+1
    The Ultra is going to be primarily ridden by people with very little experience so they'll never know the difference. If it was for my use, I wouldn't be able to handle not having trim.

This Ultra is a new, zero hour 2012 ski that was used as a display model and I got for $7,999. Added 4 years of warranty to it so won't have to worry for 5 years and will help with resale if I decide to go another direction. The foot mats are a little scuffed from people getting on it in the showroom but not a scratch to be found. Couldn't pass that deal up.

This is a fantastic site! A new member does have to realize many here are hardcore racing/modifying fanatics and that much of what we post must sound quite trivial, but that knowledge is what adds to the content of the site. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UltraLX.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	323900

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information