Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

How would you feel....? need some opinions

Was really excited, now not as much. Got the call that the new 2014 fzs we ordered was in and ready to be picked up.

We arrived at the dealership after a 2 hour drive and a 20.00 toll for taking the turnpike. We pulled into the parking lot with our vx cruiser so we could trade in our single trailer for a double and have them transfer the vx over to the double next to the fzs. We noticed they had the new ski already outside, set up and on the trailer for us. I was all smiles while looking for a place to park after seeing it.

As we approach the ski the first thing I notice is the new Yamaha cover has greasy fingerprints on it from I assume one of the mechanics that got it ready. I asked the salesman if we could take a look at it before we go in to do the final paperwork, as he proceeded to take the cover off I noticed the same greasy fingerprints on the seat and it was looking, not filthy but definitely dirty. (I want to say this dealership is located in the northeast part of the country and we have a decent amount of snow on the ground still so the roads are dirty from gravel and salt) Im not sure why that would make it ok that its dirty but i want to give them the benefit.

Then I noticed about 3 inches of water in the foot wells, why would all that water be there, its not like they washed it! Upon closer inspection I noticed a small scratch on the side that was unable to be buffed out but touch up paint would probably take care of it, a cluster of about 4 or 5 dimples (are the best way I can describe them) in a less than 1 inch radius on the other side and a "pretty good" scratch on the winch hook eye from whoever hooked the trailer winch up. (the metal hook on the winch was hooked directly to ski rather than using the nylon strap to go through eye on the bow and back to the winch hook)

Then I noticed on the non occupied side of a brand new trailer that the carpet on the bunks looked like it had been used at least a few times because there was a wear mark from a ski being loaded on and off often enough that a small amount of the wood was exposed from the rubbing. I was told it was probably from being stacked on top of other trailers from the manufacturer (load rite). Then on closer inspection the two outside brackets on each side of trailer that hold the bunks on were bent enough that it actually started to crack the weld and galvanized coating where they attach on the cross beam. I was told they are supposed to be like that but after they inspected another trailer I was told they are to be straight (haha, no sh!t) So needless to say I said I was not going to accept that trailer and was told they would order another. Now I am back home after the return 2 hour drive and another 20.00 toll without my new lava colored fzs until I hear from them again.

I am not really feeling good about the whole experience and wanted to know if im just being nit picky or should i be looking for another dealership?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtlhunter View Post
    ... a "pretty good" scratch on the winch hook eye from whoever hooked the trailer winch up. (the metal hook on the winch was hooked directly to ski rather than using the nylon strap to go through eye on the bow and back to the winch hook)...
    This particular point is a matter of personal preference.

Some do not trust the thin fabric 'hand loop' and prefer to have metal on metal to secure the watercraft bow eye to the winch strap. This would be my own preference.

From a liability standpoint, a dealer may feel that the 'small' risk of the loop failing sometime after you depart his facility is not worth the potential accident risk, hence the metal to metal bow eye hook up.

+1
    I bet they have everything perfect for you next time....

+1
    Look for another dealer.

Banned User
    +1
    I personally wouldnt accept a brand new ski that has physical scratches or damage to the finish. These things cost way too much money these days. The scratch on the bow eye hook is no biggie thats going to happen whenever you connect the hook to it. I would make them get me another ski if that one is scratched or damaged.

6. +1 by:

I would be concerned about the scratches. If next year you decide to trade in the ski, I am sure they would deduct from it's value because of the "condition" it is in.

8. +1 by:

No your not being picky. Your paying for a NEW ski and a NEW trailer. New means perfect!!!! I would Give them one more shot as long they would throw in 2 new life vests or something to make up for your wasted trip and expenses.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtlhunter View Post
    ... a "pretty good" scratch on the winch hook eye from whoever hooked the trailer winch up. (the metal hook on the winch was hooked directly to ski rather than using the nylon strap to go through eye on the bow and back to the winch hook)...
    This particular point is a matter of personal preference.

Some do not trust the thin fabric 'hand loop' and prefer to have metal on metal to secure the watercraft bow eye to the winch strap. This would be my own preference.

From a liability standpoint, a dealer may feel that the 'small' risk of the loop failing sometime after you depart his facility is not worth the potential accident risk, hence the metal to metal bow eye hook up.
    I can understand that and if that would have been the only thing I wasn't happy with it would be in the garage right now.

I honestly didn't know that strap was a way to pull the winch hook to the ski. It never entered my mind you would need a handle to pull the strap and hook. I figured it was designed to use that way because my VX Cruiser was secured the way I described when I picked it up the first time from a different dealership.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnuts View Post
    No your not being picky. Your paying for a NEW ski and a NEW trailer. New means perfect!!!! I would Give them one more shot as long they would throw in 2 new life vests or something to make up for your wasted trip and expenses.
    Would be nice to get some of that money back. It cost me $80.00 for that trip plus four hours of my day for nothing. Grrrr

I'm serious. Ask for something you need or a $100 discount. I would not go back unless they gave in a little. What you described was unacceptable. I would call and work this out with the owner or sales manager.

Years ago I purchased a used $25k boat from a dealer. When I got there to pick it up, there were greasy finger prints all over the white gel coat around the engine compartment. Sure it was a sign that they checked, greased and topped off the fluids, but damn. Clean up before the customer gets there. I was not early either. After waiting an extra hour for a yard boy to clean it up I asked for a $100 shore power cord and got it. It was not to punish them, but I picked the boat up on a week day and they cost me an extra hour missed from work.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information