Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

New guy, question about the Spark for fishing

Hi all, glad I found this forum. I havent looked at PWCs for a year or two. Every time I got close to getting one, I backed out because of cost (fuel consumption, maintenance and upfront cost). But I am glad to have come across the Spark recently which is priced well in terms of upfront cost for your average Joe, and from what I am reading, fuel consumption looks pretty good too.

My primary purpose would be to use the Spark as a fishing craft. I've never done jet ski fishing so am somewhat of a noob. But I am addicted to striper fishing here in the Northeast. I'd like to figure out some way to extend my obsession to out on the ocean that wont break the bank.

Am I off base in thinking about the Spark? Is it possible to mount a cooler/rod holder on the 2UP, or is my only real option the 3UP (if the Spark is even my right choice). Is that platform at the back of the 3UP even capable of holding this type of construction (is it solid or plastic)?

I have so many questions. This is somewhat of an impulse post and I need to research so much more. I thought I would just start the discussion to get some feedback. Thanks all.

Buy a nice used gti for 4k or so. Fuel consumption will be close. The spark is great for what it is, but I wouldn't want to fish off one

Quote Originally Posted by Wire4Money View Post
    Buy a nice used gti for 4k or so. Fuel consumption will be close. The spark is great for what it is, but I wouldn't want to fish off one
    How come? What are some of the key features you look for? Thanks.

+1

Cool

Gti 130 is bigger and a lot more stable. Get a slightly used 1 and your good to go for about the same $$$ or less..
    Just my .02

5. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    Gti 130 is bigger and a lot more stable. Get a slightly used 1 and your good to go for about the same $$$ or less..
    Just my .02
    Agreed. Much more stable from what I hear about the Spark and lots more storage space and ways to carry equipment and supplies. I would love to have a Spark but never would it cross my mind to want it for fishing. It would be like using a Smart car or a new Fiat for camping.

Just my .02
    Bigger = better so you dont bounce around on water as much, I get that. Bigger = more storage, more space to work with etc. Only constraints I have about going bigger is cost (which can be negated somewhat by finding a good used deal, TBD, although fuel consumption is a problem), and storage space. The latter being more of an issue. I need to fit the jet ski into a tight space in my garage when on the trailer. I will measure it exactly this evening to see what I'm working with. Any other thoughts? Really excited to get more feedback on what to look for in selecting a PWC for fishing. Thoughts are welcomed.

Other things I'm thinking about:
    -cruise control option so I dont have to hold the throttle 24/7
    -slow speed capabilities (we troll for Striper at ~2mph and jig at even slower speeds)
    -place to mount a fish finder
    -through hull transducer (I dont want to drill or cut through anything)
    -storage compartment for protective gear (take off Stormr jacket when it gets hot later in the day etc)
    -storage solution for tackle/lures
    -cooler mount with rod holders
    -how to secure rods so they dont bounce around when under way at high speeds?
    -best gas consumption (do you burn WAY less trolling at such slow speeds?, better to travel slower etc?)
    -travel distance of maybe 40-50 miles on a tank (ideal, can work with less if need be)
    -can fishfinder be run when jet ski is turned off?
    -more to come

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post
    Gti 130 is bigger and a lot more stable. Get a slightly used 1 and your good to go for about the same $$$ or less.. Just my .02
    Agreed. Much more stable from what I hear about the Spark and lots more storage space and ways to carry equipment and supplies. I would love to have a Spark but never would it cross my mind to want it for fishing. It would be like using a Smart car or a new Fiat for camping.
    Good to know. I know the Spark is not ideal, but is it doable, or is it seriously a no-go? I draw the similarities to guys talking about $50 fishing rods and $500 fishing rods. Both can catch fish, sure the $500 rods feel better, but both get the job done. However, a $25 5 foot surf rod wont work. Is the Spark the 5 foot surf rod, or the $50 surf rod? Do you know what the GTI's consumption is at 35mph vs the Spark? TY!

+1
    mummel...have you checked out the fishing section here? There has to be a wealth of info in there that you are looking for if you dig around.

+1
    When ever your just cruising around or idle the gti sips fuel. You can dooo 70 miles on a tank in the gti easy.
    Gti and spark would use the same size trailer so they both are going to take up the same space.
    I have a buddy that just bought a 09 gti 130 with 29 hrs and it is spotless for 4500 on a trailer. So they can be cheaper than a spark ...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mummel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post
    Gti 130 is bigger and a lot more stable. Get a slightly used 1 and your good to go for about the same $$$ or less.. Just my .02
    Good to know. I know the Spark is not ideal, but is it doable, or is it seriously a no-go? I draw the similarities to guys talking about $50 fishing rods and $500 fishing rods. Both can catch fish, sure the $500 rods feel better, but both get the job done. However, a $25 5 foot surf rod wont work. Is the Spark the 5 foot surf rod, or the $50 surf rod? Do you know what the GTI's consumption is at 35mph vs the Spark? TY!
    Like I said...using a Spark would be like using a Smart car for camping. You wouldn't be able to pack very much with you and you would have a heck of a time on the offroad trails to get to your campsite...and IF you finally get to your campsite you wont be able to be there long because of how little supplies and equipment you were able to bring. But on the bright side...you got good gas mileage even though your camping trip sucked.

Where would you be doing your fishing? Ocean, choppy lakes, calm lakes? Large or small lakes?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information