Just bought a pair of '96 SL 700's need some de-winterize advice here:

I just bought a pair of 1996 Polaris SL 700's from an original owner. They gave me receipts to show they had done regular services on them at a local Polaris dealer (spark plug replacements, winterizations, etc).
    I bought them in Minnesota, and I am located in Manitoba, Canada.
    Just curious as spring is approaching what I should do to get them ready for summer. Is there anything that needs to be done besides starting them up?
    They were winterized this past fall, and have been stored indoors since in an non-heated barn. The original owner had stored them in a heated garage.
    Any advice would be great as I'm new to this.
    Thanks.

+1
    If they were properly winterized, and have been maintained, all you need to do is charge, and install the battery.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You have some time before it is warm enough to go riding.

Use that time to read up on these machines. Learn what 'properly maintained' actually means. Click my signature links for lots of useful info.

While we might hope that the Polaris dealer did a good job of maintaining those two machines, I would not assume that all the recommended maintenance was actually done.

For starters, are the original gray Tempo brand fuel hoses still installed?

Check whether the original ignition system has ever been replaced with the Ignition Update Kit from Polaris.

Inspect the fuel filler neck and cap for hairline cracks or degraded seals. You need the fuel filler to be 101% water tight as water seepage into the fuel tank is a very bad thing.

1996 was the very first model year for the red 'domestic' engines from Polaris. Prior to 1996 all the engines were the blue Fuji.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

Use that time to read up on these machines. Learn what 'properly maintained' actually means. Click my signature links for lots of useful info.

While we might hope that the Polaris dealer did a good job of maintaining those two machines, I would not assume that all the recommended maintenance was actually done.

Check whether the original ignition system has ever been replaced with the Ignition Update Kit from Polaris.

Inspect the fuel filler neck and cap for hairline cracks or degraded seals. You need the fuel filler to be 101% water tight as water seepage into the fuel tank is a very bad thing.

1996 was the very first model year for the red 'domestic' engines from Polaris. Prior to 1996 all the engines were the blue Fuji.
    Wow, this was the exact reply I was looking for, thank you so much.
    I will look into all of these things, and check out your links as well!
    Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

+1

1996 was a very good year!

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Miglater View Post

1996 was a very good year!
    Yes it was. The 96 SL 900 is a great ride.

Thread Information