Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

STRANGE fuel sender electrical issue.....need some help on this one...

Okay...I have been perplexed over that past few weeks with a strange out of control issue. Please bear with me as it might be a little confusing to try and explain. It started with one ski it seems to have spread to some of my others. Inaccurate fuel readings on 08 vx 110 delux....my fuel gauge reads 3/4 when the tank is empty. and wont read anything other then that. When I physically remove the fuel pump and adjust the float to the empty position, it reads empty on the display, when i adjust it to the half way spot...it reads halfway. When i position it to the 3/4 and in the full position it all reads properly. It is only until it goes into the tank, and is set in place that the readings are off...I have checked the wire that holds the float and its not bent or warped. I have filled a 5 gallon bucket with fuel, submerged the pump and checked for levels while inside the fuel to see if something was possibly shorting out, as suggested by a few other mechanics. All the readings were again on point. So far i have rebuilt and tested every single wire in the harness and they are perfect, i have also swapped out the delux remote unit that is in front of the tank with another working ski still with the same results. I have replace the fuel sender with other known working units, and bought a second fuel sender unit and it does the same thing. Im about ready to sink the ski, but i think that would only cause more problems...anyone have an idea of what could be causing these ghosts in my fuel gauges??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
    Okay...I have been perplexed over that past few weeks with a strange out of control issue. Please bear with me as it might be a little confusing to try and explain. It started with one ski it seems to have spread to some of my others. Inaccurate fuel readings on 08 vx 110 delux....my fuel gauge reads 3/4 when the tank is empty. and wont read anything other then that. When I physically remove the fuel pump and adjust the float to the empty position, it reads empty on the display, when i adjust it to the half way spot...it reads halfway. When i position it to the 3/4 and in the full position it all reads properly. It is only until it goes into the tank, and is set in place that the readings are off...I have checked the wire that holds the float and its not bent or warped. I have filled a 5 gallon bucket with fuel, submerged the pump and checked for levels while inside the fuel to see if something was possibly shorting out, as suggested by a few other mechanics. All the readings were again on point. So far i have rebuilt and tested every single wire in the harness and they are perfect, i have also swapped out the delux remote unit that is in front of the tank with another working ski still with the same results. I have replace the fuel sender with other known working units, and bought a second fuel sender unit and it does the same thing. Im about ready to sink the ski, but i think that would only cause more problems...anyone have an idea of what could be causing these ghosts in my fuel gauges??
    Have you tried we wrapping a ferrite core around it to reduce Eddy currents? Have you looked at EMI and EMP possibilities?

+1
    since you have done most of the testing with differant units I supect there is a wiring issue with the wire having too much resintance in the wire it self, Just a guess, Tommy Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by bryantjopplin View Post

Have you tried we wrapping a ferrite core around it to reduce Eddy currents? Have you looked at EMI and EMP possibilities?
    Lets pretend im half as smart as you, wrap what with a ferrite core? Where and how would i get one of these as wel? Thank you for your suggestion. I have yet to get an entirely different wireharness and test but will try doing that as well.

+1
    Wrap the sending wire from the pump to the dash. EBay has them for a few bucks. I'm assuming you tested resistance? While working on A-10 Wart Hogs troubleshooting the fuel indicating system we had to test the capacitance of the wire as well. This is a little harder to do as it requires specialty tools. A megohmeter would be a nice tool to have as well so you can measure the electrical resistance of insulators and Insulating components.

+1
    Here is a pack of 10 for 10 with free shipping. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=280763076501

I checked for continuity, but not resistance yet.

32 is the sender 34 is the dash. Should i check the resistance between just those wires or are there some others?

+1
    What is a2?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantjopplin View Post
    What is a2?
    starter solenoid switch #2

+1
    That must activate it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information