Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 Seadoo XP - Bad crank seal??

Just picked up this ski for 300.00, blowing oil out of the exhaust which usually means a bad crank seal. Any other possibilities or does anyone know a quick fix on this issue? I have to buy a new rebuilt but it may still be worth it.

+1
    Piston rings, head gasket, breather, or too much oil in your gas

This is thick black oil so I don't believe it is fuel related. Can the bottom end be rebuilt much like you can rebuild a topend or does the entire motor need to be rebuilt?

+1
    If bad crank seal the oil would leak and fill up on lower half while siting not in use and won't crank u will have to take spark plug off to let oil come out before u start every time.
    If u can start it's not likely bad crank seal or maybe slow leak?

+1
    The 951 does not have an oil filled rotary valve cavity connected to the oil tank like the other two stroke Rotax motors. The center crankshaft seals isolate the counterbalancer gear which is lubed from a sealed cavity. If you are getting a lot of oil in the cylinders every time it sits for a while then it is probably the check valves on the small oil lines from the oil pump to the intake. When these leak oil will slowly gravity feed from the oil tank through the oil pump and slowly fill the crank case with oil.

6. +1 by:

Ok, this all seems like good news so far. Please keep in mind that I have not worked on one of these. Are the things mentioned above something that I can fix or have a shop do?

Ok, this all seems like good news so far.  Please keep in mind that I have not worked on one of these.  Are the things mentioned above something that I can fix or have a shop do? 

Ok, update 02/24/14: I fired the engine over and ran it for about 10 seconds each time. Did this about 3 times. The oil is no longer blowing out of the exhaust. I did call the prior owner and this ski sat for the last 2 years in his garage. I also ran a compression test, front cyclinder and back cyclinder are both at 105. Is this a good compression and do you think the oil is not an issue? Thanks

+1
    Sounds like it might have a slight leak that over a long period of time it fills with oil or it could be burning off fogging oil if it was prepped for storage properly. I would go to the lake with a fresh set of spark plugs ride it for 5 to 10 minutes to burn everything off then put the new plugs in and go ride it.

If you have the original gray fuel lines I would suggest you replace them and rebuild both carbs before riding it too much. With two stokes you need to keep the fuel system meticulously clean to avoid fuel starvation which will cause it to run lean and sieze a piston or two. Also use a good quality synthetic two stroke oil either the XPS synthetic or Amsoil Interceptor would be my choices.

i would listen to canuck he knows what he's talking about. that ski may have been fogged or has a small leak if oil is coming out. running the motor for 10 seconds at a time isn't going to tell you much. if you take it to water and run it that will tell you a lot more. if you don't trust the ski at first you can back it into the water and leave it on the trailer start it and let it run for several minutes, if you had oil out of the exhaust before you will have a lot of smoke now. if the smoke clears up you are probably ok, if it doesn't then you may have a problem. once you run it for a while and consider it trust worthy to ride, then by all means ride it. after the ride i would check the plugs, and the compression again, 105 is little low, but if the ski starts and runs fine then i wouldn't worry about it. the best thing to do is run it and check the plugs often.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information