+1

Seized MSX 150 - good buy?

Hey guys, went and looked at an msx150 today to get as a second ski. It apparently spluttered to a stop while riding, and had water (coolant?) in the bores. It's been sitting for a year, and if you hit the start button it just makes one clunk as if seized. This is obviously to be expected as it has sat for too long with water in the bores.

The rest of the ski seems in decent condition, and I could pick it up for aus$1000 with trailer. Is this a decent deal? Is the original issue likely a head gasket or are there other issue with these that could see water in the bores. Looking at the ski it was definitely not sunk.

Any advice is appreciated!

Also if anyone in Australia has a motor for sale let me know.

+1
    Good buy? Possibly not, the engines are expensive to repair.
    For that price if it was in my back yard I would buy it, throw the motor out and repower it with a 4tec, trailer has got to be worth $600 alone.

+1
    Yeah I was considering buying it for the trailer and selling the ski. Can't find any engines second hand. I'm a mechanic so rebuilding it isn't really an issue if parts were available at reasonable prices, and it didn't have to be sleeved or replated. Sadly probably don't have the time or patience to put a 4tec in it.

Hull is pretty much perfect, doesn't even have beach rash. Tiny bit of corrosion on the pump where the paint has flaked off, and chra of turbo is a little rusty, the rest looks mint. Oil in oil tank is clean as a whistle.

Do people buy the parts? Might be worth parting it out if its too far gone.

Banned User
    +1
    There isn't a huge used market for the parts. Most people who get these motors are trying to part them out. I would pull the motor out, have a look and maybe it wouldn't be too crazy expensive to fix. I would plan on spending some money to fix the Weber motors. The parts are outrageously expensive.

+1
    Yeah I've seen the part prices, they are insane! I was thinking along the same lines as you, pull it down and see exactly what it needs, then decide from there. I don't think its going anywhere in a hurry, so I have some time to think at least. Thanks for the advice so far.

Thread Information