Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Swapped a 787 from a 97 XP to a 97 GTX and now it won't turn over with the plugs in.

    I bought a 97 XP this pass summer and used it up until September. I have a 97 GTX that quit running on the lake last summer. I installed a new top end on the GTX three weeks before. My kids were ridding the GTX and it just stopped. They had to burn up the starter to get the unit to the shore. I replaced the starter and learned it lost compression in the PTO cylinder. Instead of doing another top end I bought the XP to swap the motor. I just realized the Seadoo oil container I used the last time we went out had old transmission fluid in it. That would answer why the oil looked red when i mixed it in the gas that day. SMH, shame on me. That would ruin any top end.

    We rode the XP until we realized why the guy sold it so cheap. The XP is very unstable in the water. I didn't do the winterization but I started it up in October. It started right up and ran like a champ on the hose in October. Keep in mind we never had an issue with this ski starting and flying like a bat out of h e double hockey sticks.
    Fast forward to last week, I removed the motor from the XP and installed it in the GTX. Everything was going smooth. I tried to start the unit with the battery from last season and it wouldn't start after the battery was charged for two days. I placed jumper cables on the unit from a car that was not running and all the unit does is turn over stop and turn over stop. I cleaned all the cables, negative and positive. Still same turn over stop turn over stop. I replaced the entire solenoid box from the running XP and still no go. I removed the spark plugs and the engines cranks over fine I installed one plug and it turned over stopped and turned over stopped. I checked all wires again and still the same symptom. I took the battery to Auto zone and they put a load test on it and it had 4 volts under load. I left the battery for charging and they will check it again after 12 hours of trickle charging. I will mention when I had the ski connected to a non running car it ran the battery down in that car.(06 Corvette) I just recently checked the raves valves to ensure they will move, and they move freely. Is it possible the battery could cause this even tho it was connected to a non running car? The unit beeps once you put the key on the post and it has crazy compression. The motor was running before i pulled the engine, is it also possible the timing would differ between the two ski's? Everything plugged right in, I'm lost please help.

    Just a side note, I live in Houston Texas and we typically don't get extremely cold winters. However we did have a few extremely cold days this winter. I don't know if that affects a ski that has not been winterized.


  2. #2
    All help is greatly appreciated. I wish I had the money to buy the new Spark. My kids are giving me the blues to get this thing running.

  3. #3
    surferd15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    1,142
    +1
    83
    If it dropped below freezing point it might have cracked the block if water was left in it. When you swapped motors what carbs did you bolt back on? Did you ever remove the front stator part of the motor or the rv cover? What is the compression #s? Why did you have tranny fluid in the oil containter? Also did you ground one spark plug and check for spark on the other and then.test both?

  4. #4
    Cliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    207
    +1
    24
    When you say crazy compression I am guessing you mean very high. If so you probably have oil in the cylinders and the engine is hydro locked. Take the plugs out and crank the engine with a towel over the plug holes till the oil stops coming out.

  5. #5
    The only thing I removed from the motor during the swap was the carbs, rear motor mount, tune pipe and the cables. I have not done a compression test yet, however you cant hold your hand over the spark plug hole when you turn it over. It seems extremely high.

  6. #6
    surferd15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    1,142
    +1
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    The only thing I removed from the motor during the swap was the carbs, rear motor mount, tune pipe and the cables. I have not done a compression test yet, however you cant hold your hand over the spark plug hole when you turn it over. It seems extremely high.

    Okay, did you test spark? Cliff is spot on all that cranking and no fire will do is foul plugs, pour oil and fuel in the motor. I had the same problem...had to remove the motor n pour it out!! I cranked it too much. It will never fire that way. Get carb or brake cleaner, two sets or more of plugs, a rag n a good battery. Is your oil line and carbs primed? Take one plug out, ground the spark cables on the rear e box and cover open hole with rag. Cranked and see how much comes out. Do the same for other hole. If your confident you do have spark and you got all the oil and fuel out. Put a teaspoon of gas in each cylinder, put fresh plugs in. Hit the start button it should fire up for a few seconds. If it doesnt you still might have too much in there or no spark (test from my first post). If it fires up then your good to go. (use the carb/brake clean to spray n clean fouled plugs)

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by surferd15 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    The only thing I removed from the motor during the swap was the carbs, rear motor mount, tune pipe and the cables. I have not done a compression test yet, however you cant hold your hand over the spark plug hole when you turn it over. It seems extremely high.

    Okay, did you test spark? Cliff is spot on all that cranking and no fire will do is foul plugs, pour oil and fuel in the motor. I had the same problem...had to remove the motor n pour it out!! I cranked it too much. It will never fire that way. Get carb or brake cleaner, two sets or more of plugs, a rag n a good battery. Is your oil line and carbs primed? Take one plug out, ground the spark cables on the rear e box and cover open hole with rag. Cranked and see how much comes out. Do the same for other hole. If your confident you do have spark and you got all the oil and fuel out. Put a teaspoon of gas in each cylinder, put fresh plugs in. Hit the start button it should fire up for a few seconds. If it doesnt you still might have too much in there or no spark (test from my first post). If it fires up then your good to go. (use the carb/brake clean to spray n clean fouled plugs)

    You don't have to pull motor to get oil out.. Just pull plugs and crank make sure to have towels over holes otherwise you may go blind.. It will make a mess but it sure beats pulling motor. once you get most of oil out then put a cap of gas and crank til it pops off then repeat til it stays running.. Lets just say you won't have any bugs for an hour because it will smoke like made. if the motor keeps filling up with in 3 days or so you will need to rebuild the motor to get to the rotary seal to be replaced sadly... if its your ski and it only fills up after a month or more I would keep running it. it will just suck to pump the oil out twice a year from sitting to long.

    Back to spark... Did you test?? If you don't have spark your jump start wasn't a great idea.. I always say charge/ jump/ or trickle always on plug battery, why risk a +$300 part and on some skis or boat $1500 part. If you have a true 97 gtx not A 96 OR 96 1/2 GTX you will have to replace the whole mpem because the cdi(spark) is one unit. On the 96 it is two parts which will save you a leg. not a arm and leg like the 97.. I hope you come out ahead and hit the water.. If you need a mpem or motor I will have you covered.

  8. #8
    Crisis averted. I took the battery to Autozone and they charged it over night. They retested the battery and said it was still low in voltage. I brought it home and put it on a trickle charger for 24 hours. I put it in the ski add a teaspoon of oil and gas mixed in the cylinders and said a quick prayer. I hit the button and it fired off. After doing the teaspoon of gas several times it finally got the gas flowing into the carbs and ran like a champ. Thanks for all the input, it was greatly appreciated.
    Item to note. If you have a partially charged battery and you try and jump a ski, it will not work. The battery must be charged correctly to get the ski to turn over enough to run.

    Side note- I mentioned in the original post the Seadoo oil container had transmission fluid in it the last time we went out, which caused the motor to fail. I'm always tinkering with stuff and I changed the fluid in a transmission and I used the empty XPS container to pour old trans fluid in. I failed to mark the containers and took what i thought was the correct XPS container to the lake. Always mark your containers if you like to repurpose containers like me. When I mixed the fuel I was looking at the oil strange but it never dawned on me it was incorrect. I was excited to get to the lake.

  9. #9
    surferd15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    1,142
    +1
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Crisis averted. I took the battery to Autozone and they charged it over night. They retested the battery and said it was still low in voltage. I brought it home and put it on a trickle charger for 24 hours. I put it in the ski add a teaspoon of oil and gas mixed in the cylinders and said a quick prayer. I hit the button and it fired off. After doing the teaspoon of gas several times it finally got the gas flowing into the carbs and ran like a champ. Thanks for all the input, it was greatly appreciated.
    Item to note. If you have a partially charged battery and you try and jump a ski, it will not work. The battery must be charged correctly to get the ski to turn over enough to run.

    Side note- I mentioned in the original post the Seadoo oil container had transmission fluid in it the last time we went out, which caused the motor to fail. I'm always tinkering with stuff and I changed the fluid in a transmission and I used the empty XPS container to pour old trans fluid in. I failed to mark the containers and took what i thought was the correct XPS container to the lake. Always mark your containers if you like to repurpose containers like me. When I mixed the fuel I was looking at the oil strange but it never dawned on me it was incorrect. I was excited to get to the lake.

    Glad you got it working! Most times we over look simple things. I just assumed that you had a good battery, that was my error for not asking. At least you live and learn.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 787 wont turn over with spark plugs in (96 GTX)
    By fire in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 06-12-2016, 11:11 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 06:54 PM
  3. xp 97 won't turn over with new starter after complete rebuild
    By ricky86 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 10:48 PM
  4. 97 XP Won't Turn Over
    By SuperSport346 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-05-2010, 10:29 PM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-28-2009, 06:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •