2005 Chevrolet 2500 Diesel Any owners here?

Hey Guys,

I wasn't sure which of my automotive forums to ask but I figured you guys would do more hauling than Supra owners

I found a 2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 6.6L Diesel with the gen 2. so that it doesn't have the $4k injector bill lol.
    Has 86k Miles. Only observations is tighten up the transfer case bolts, I talked to the guy and he said they towed a bunch into the auction site and removed the transfer case, I think he's an idiot and means driveshaft. Never heard of removing t-case for towing, just a driveshaft. Only other observation is it needs a good cleaning a few bumps and scratches that aren't an issue, case of beer, garage, buffer and pads and we will fix'r up. I checked on insurance, dirty cheap. So I'm thinking I'll try to pick it up, clean it up register it to suit my needs but also list it at the same time. Everything is for sale for the right price right?

Starting bid is $9500. KBB site which I know is high said it's worth $22k in fair-good condition, autotrader, craigslist only have a few listings in the 14-16k range with higher mileage, or rust or something that isn't on par with this truck.

I know I don't need the diesel but my commutes aren't bad. My mind is racing about the potential to flip it. Anyways, just wondering if anyone has any opinions on them. I know the injectors are a bullet that I've dodged already, but anything else? Transmissions? Turbos? Front ends?

+1
    Should be an LLY with the 5 speed Allison.

That vintage had complaints about overheating when towing heavy in hot conditions this seems to be hit and miss some cannot seem to keep them cool others have no problems at all. Transfer case pump rub, pitman and idler arms and steering shaft clunk are common complaints, nothing crazy expensive to fix if needed. If you can get it at a decent price buy it.

I have an 07 Classic with the LBZ and it has been one of the better vehicles I have owned. Dieselplace.com is the Greenhulk equivalent for GM diesels.

+1
    Everything canuck said is correct imho. The suspension parts he listed is common of chevys in general, not just your year. The over heating mentioned is due to stock head bolts not being up to par, they stretch too much or something like that usally seen in heavy towing as stated, or when doing heavy hp modes. I have the lb7 have had since almost new and the injector issues were not well known when I got mine. You dont have to worry about that tho. Injectors can fail in the lly, not common and easy to fix on that motor. Lbz I think 06.5-07 is the most sought after and easiest to sell of the 6.6's. They finally got it right, third times a charm as thee saying goes.

Realalistic owner market in my area would 17k however most would have more miles than that one.

I never heard of it, but maybe moving the t-case back is easier than dropping both drive shafts, but in a towing situation it is the u-joints that fail, so loosening or moveing t-case back would not make it safe for towi g imho.

+1
    One of the easy solutions to the early LLY overheating issue is to install the intake mouthpiece off an LBZ model. This allows more airflow through the intake which helps with the overheating problem. I would not worry about it unless you live in Arizona and plan on towing a 12K trailer.

5. +1 by:

Yeah it looks like 2 on the VIN decoder so LLY.

So nothing abnormal on the HD trucks. I know most of the big 3 are pretty good at wearing out the front ends.

I don't plan on towing big loads very often so I should be ok.

+1
    I have owned all 3 3/4 ton trucks dmax/alison is my favorite personally. All 3 were 01-03. The 7.3 was bullet proof I pulled heavy shit in bad conditions 80% of 200k miles engine never let me down, 4 trannies did tho. Same conditions for the first 100k of my chevy still going strong at 160k, replaced 3 times as many front end parts tho.

I see 4 speed auto on it, and the VIN decoder doesn't have a breakdown for transmissions it seems.

+1
    Far as I know alison trannys are standard at least on all the 6.6's. Someone plz correct me if I am wrong

+1
    All 6.6L Duramax have the Allison if it's an auto transmission. Early models had the 5 speed later models, late LLY to current LML, have the 6 speed. If the truck has the +/- buttons on the shifter then it's a 6 speed.

Thread Information