Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is a trailer required for the Spark? Can it be lifted instead?

Hi there,

I am interested in purchasing a Spark. Reading through these forums and seeing peoples positive experiences, as long as I don't get hosed by the dealer, I think I'm going to grab one.

Thing is, I don't want the added expense of a trailer. It will go in the water in the spring, and come out in the fall. The rest of the time it will be tied up on my dock.

It is a short drive of ~1km on a quiet dirt road from the launch to where I will likely store it for the winter. I currently have a brand new trailer for my 21 foot bowrider, and a utility trailer with a 10 foot bed. Would either of these be suitable to transport it the short distance?

If I could get it on the boat trailer in the water, would it be possible for a few adults to lift it off. Or lift it on the utility trailer at the launch? I've never owned a PWC before, so I don't know if this is possible, or if they are just too awkward/heavy to move by hand.

My team usually consists of myself, the wife and another couple who are neighbours. Could 4 adults (2 men/2 women) lift this thing once or twice a year??

Thanks in advance folks.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Lifting and moving watercraft by hand is an awkward business. Not just the weight but actually shifting it around and walking while carrying runs the risk of someone stumbling or just dropping the hull.

At the least I would suggest buying or building a bunk cart or stand. Load the hull onto the cart then move the cart around. I strap my watercraft to the cart so it won't shift or slide off if the wheels catch an edge while I am pushing it around.

Used watercraft trailers may be available inexpensively. Make sure the frame is not rusted or weakened, and replace the wheel bearings and old tires. Safe, reliable and low risk of damage to people or the Spark.

3. +1 by:

+1
    You can get a good used trailer for 2 to 3 hundred dollars and make life a lot easier. It sounds like you are planning on leaving this ski in the water all summer and that is a VERY BAD idea.

+1
    Don't leave it floating in the water...
    Rain or slow leak and it could sink quickly...

6. +1 by:

+1
    I have a really good trailer little to small for a three seater or newer 4-strokes perfect for the spark. Bearings are top notch tires should be replaced. $200 I would let it go for. I am sure there are oogles of em out everywhere.

Spark is what 500lbs are something like that. Sure 4 people could do it if tue men are stout and the ladys are willing. Would be very very awkward lifting it outa the water or off of the boat trailer tho.

Tied up ON your dock, or TO yojt dock? Big difference.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I had totally planned on tying it up to the dock. On the lake I am on in Canada, everyone leaves them tied up to the dock from what I have seen. Small, inland lake with calm water. I leave my boat tied up to the dock all summer. Never even given it a thought. I am up almost every weekend, and it seems like it would be a huge hassle to have to launch it every weekend and take it out when I leave. I am trying to streamline my coming and going to the lakehouse and figure that having to take it out all the time would complicate things.

Do you guys really think it is imperative to take it out of the water all the time?? Even with a cover on it??

Thanks Echo. If I were not so far away, I'd likely take you up on your offer for that trailer.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty_Dog View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I had totally planned on tying it up to the dock. On the lake I am on in Canada, everyone leaves them tied up to the dock from what I have seen. Small, inland lake with calm water. I leave my boat tied up to the dock all summer. Never even given it a thought. I am up almost every weekend, and it seems like it would be a huge hassle to have to launch it every weekend and take it out when I leave. I am trying to streamline my coming and going to the lakehouse and figure that having to take it out all the time would complicate things.

Do you guys really think it is imperative to take it out of the water all the time?? Even with a cover on it??

Thanks Echo. If I were not so far away, I'd likely take you up on your offer for that trailer.
    Which lake?

Does it have zebra mussels?

The trend I have seen is for boat lifts and PWC lifts at cottages. Not only does it keep the hulls out of the water when nobody is using the machines, it eliminates any possibility of a water leak or a storm doing any damage. Much less staining of the lower hull from sitting in the water, of course. And if the lift is locked, less chance of theft or joy riding.

There are some really slick lift systems available. Even a simple bunked ramp out of the water with a small winch would do.

+1
    4 blokes and you can make a "do you even lift bro" photo

+1

There is no way you leave that in the water. The thought of that sickens me. I would not even leave a 1989 wave blaster or any ski sitting on the water. If you can spend a few 100 get a used lift of some sort then cover it then you can leave it in the water. I race 6 months out of the year and as soon as i make a pass and get back to my pits i give the ski a full wipe down. That ocean/river/lake water just grows on your hull no matter the water conditions. So i am saying no way do you leave your ski in the water even if you had to put it in every weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Oheezy404 View Post

There is no way you leave that in the water. The thought of that sickens me. I would not even leave a 1989 wave blaster or any ski sitting on the water. If you can spend a few 100 get a used lift of some sort then cover it then you can leave it in the water. I race 6 months out of the year and as soon as i make a pass and get back to my pits i give the ski a full wipe down. That ocean/river/lake water just grows on your hull no matter the water conditions. So i am saying no way do you leave your ski in the water even if you had to put it in every weekend.
    ]

I read somewhere that the Sparks are not meant to be store on the water..

That is a great question though, I bought my Spark 2 weeks ago and its so easy to drag on the beach with just one hand! unbelievable (compared to my Seadoo Speedster 150).

You know something funny, I went to Harbor Freight the other day and they had this 1000lb Hydraulic Table Lift with wheels on sale for $249... you can literally put it all the way down to the lake, put your Spark on it (after some minor modifications), and retrieve it..

People are going to think im crazy, but the Spark is literally not heavy at all! just a thought

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information