Stubborn 750SLT Stator Housing and Driveshaft

I'm relatively new to this forum, but have read the polaris posts extensively before I started to rebuild my 94 SLT750. This forum is a great source of information. Everything is going well in disassembly, except getting the drive shaft out. The ski was leaking badly while sitting in the water and I can see water in the carrier bearing and inside the stator housing tail cone. I've removed the four long bolts and the steering nozzle, but the stator housing refuses to budge. I've been working it for over a week, using the 2x4 trick, liberal use of PB blaster and a home made "puller" to apply pressure to pull off the stator, with no sign of success. I'm at my wits end with this.

Is there anything else anyone can suggest. I'm to the point where I'm afraid I'll break it by taking more drastic measures. My only thought now is to take it to a fomer Polaris shop in the area and see what they can do.

Thanks

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk. If you have a rubber mallet or a wood one.. you can try that. Or take a tiny flat screwdriver and try to split the stator from the wear ring. Just enough to loosen it on both sides. If all else fails. Unscrew the rideplate and youll have access to the bottom of the stator. Maybe take some heat from a propane torch and heat the mating surfaces. Then spray PB. Just keep shocking it. . Or take a belt and wrap it around and youll have better grip to turn it.

You do have the water tube, reverse cable disconnected and the steering cable too right? and the 2 siphon hoses attached to the side of the exit nozzle?:-

The drive shaft will pull out. You just have to wiggle n pull. Watch out behind you when it lets loose.lol might end up upsidedown.!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If the jet pump is really badly corroded together then you can either keep working away at it as you have been, or you can remove the entire jet pump assembly from the hull as one big lump.

To remove the whole thing including the pump base, remove the ride plate (so you have more room to work). Then remove the water hoses inside the hull where they connect to the pump water hose fittings. Now remove the nuts that hold the pump base to the hull transom.

At this point the only thing still holding it on there is sealant. Judicious use of force and prying should lever the entire pump with base away from the transom. Be careful if the drive shaft is still installed so you don't force it too far sideways.

The main downside of removing the pump base is that the pump base defines the jet pump to engine alignment. When you reassemble you should check and adjust the engine alignment using the special Polaris alignment tool.

Banned User
    +1
    If you leave the studs in the hull the alignment should be fine. Remove the nuts on the outside of the hull not the ones on the inside.

Thanks for eveyone's help. I removed the ride plate as you suggested and was able to get at the stator with the right angles to apply shock in the right directions. It took quite a bit of finesse (hammers but it finally started to separate. Once it started to loosen, it came out pretty well. I think i've disassembled it as much as I need, so now I can start rebuilding. Thanks again for the help.

Banned User
    +1
    Disassemble all of the pump sections and clean up any corrosion. It will make working on it the next time that much easier.

Thread Information